RIP soldier
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn.  

RIP

Condolences to his family and friends.

Link Posted: 7/11/2011 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Howie...You were my brother and my friend...all the good time and the bad...you will always be my friend in this life and the next. Virginia lost a son and the world lost a saint. I hate to admit it but I cried.

I will miss you brother.
Aaron
DEO VINDICE
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 1:29:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Howard's family is in Virgina, there will be a memorial service in San
Antonio on Thursday, July 14 1700-2000 (5:00 PM to 8:00 PM) at the
Porter Loring on Loop 1604 at Gold Canyon.  This is the east bound lane
of 1604 so if going west, turn around at US 281.  If coming from the
west, exit Gold Canyon.

Mailing address is 2102 North Loop 1604 East, San Antonio TX, 78232.

If you are in the San Antonio area and need a lift to the memorial, send me an IM.  

Link Posted: 7/12/2011 2:35:51 AM EDT
[#7]
RIP.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 3:07:40 AM EDT
[#8]
this is very sad

R.I.P

Link Posted: 7/14/2011 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#9]
COOK

CW2
Howard J. Cook, III, age 31, passed away on July 7, 2011 in Killeen,
Texas. He was born July 28, 1979 in Richmond, Virginia. Howie was a 2001
graduate of Virginia Military Institute, USMC Sergeant - Iraq 2005,
Police Officer for the Federal Reserve Bank since 2002 and their 2007
Officer of the Year, firearms instructor, U. S. Army Medical Evacuation Helicopter Pilot. Howie is survived by his
wife, Shelley; parents, Howard J. Cook, Jr. and Charlene; sister, Emily
Cook; sister-in-law, Andrea Valentine; brother-in-law, Philip
Valentine; Shelley's parents, Frank and Kathy Valentine; one aunt, three
uncles and a very loving extended family as well as his "Brother Rats".
In his short 31 years Howie always took the road less traveled, and in
doing so accomplished more than most do in a lifetime. Howie was a
decorated Iraq veteran,
having served as a Marine during and after his cadetship at VMI. At the
time of his death, Howie was preparing to deploy to Afghanistan as a
Blackhawk pilot and honor graduate from flight school with the Texas
Army National Guard. He will be missed by all
whose lives he touched, but none more than his wife, Shelley, his
family, extended family, friends, and brother rats. Howie was a husband
whose devotion and love for Shelley continued to grow with every moment
of his life. He will also be always remembered for his famously
irresistible sense of humor. But his loyal, reliable, and generous
friendship was truly unmatched. The light of Howie's spirit will live on
in the hearts of everyone who knew him. This was an unforgettable man.
Remember that in the end it's not how a person died that will be
remember but how he lived. The family will receive friends from 5:00 to
8:00 p.m., Thursday, July 14, 2011, at Porter Loring Mortuary North.
Howie will be sent to Vincent Funeral Home in West Point, Virginia for
services on Sunday, July 24, 2011 at 2:00 p.m. at the West Point High
School auditorium. Interment will follow at Arlington National Cemetery
with Full Military Honors. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions
may be made to The Wounded Warrior Project, PO Box 758517, Topeka, KS
66675-8517.

You are invited to sign

the Guestbook at

www.porterloring.com

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sanantonio/obituary.aspx?n=howard-cook&pid=152532849&fhid=7331

Link Posted: 7/15/2011 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Keith_J:
COOK
CW2 Howard J. Cook, III, age 31, passed away on July 7, 2011 in Killeen, Texas. He was born July 28, 1979 in Richmond, Virginia. Howie was a 2001 graduate of Virginia Military Institute, USMC Sergeant - Iraq 2005, Police Officer for the Federal Reserve Bank since 2002 and their 2007 Officer of the Year, firearms instructor, U. S. Army Medical Evacuation Helicopter Pilot. Howie is survived by his wife, Shelley; parents, Howard J. Cook, Jr. and Charlene; sister, Emily Cook; sister-in-law, Andrea Valentine; brother-in-law, Philip Valentine; Shelley's parents, Frank and Kathy Valentine; one aunt, three uncles and a very loving extended family as well as his "Brother Rats". In his short 31 years Howie always took the road less traveled, and in doing so accomplished more than most do in a lifetime. Howie was a decorated Iraq veteran, having served as a Marine during and after his cadetship at VMI. At the time of his death, Howie was preparing to deploy to Afghanistan as a Blackhawk pilot and honor graduate from flight school with the Texas Army National Guard. He will be missed by all whose lives he touched, but none more than his wife, Shelley, his family, extended family, friends, and brother rats. Howie was a husband whose devotion and love for Shelley continued to grow with every moment of his life. He will also be always remembered for his famously irresistible sense of humor. But his loyal, reliable, and generous friendship was truly unmatched. The light of Howie's spirit will live on in the hearts of everyone who knew him. This was an unforgettable man. Remember that in the end it's not how a person died that will be remember but how he lived. The family will receive friends from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m., Thursday, July 14, 2011, at Porter Loring Mortuary North. Howie will be sent to Vincent Funeral Home in West Point, Virginia for services on Sunday, July 24, 2011 at 2:00 p.m. at the West Point High School auditorium. Interment will follow at Arlington National Cemetery with Full Military Honors. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to The Wounded Warrior Project, PO Box 758517, Topeka, KS 66675-8517.
You are invited to sign
the Guestbook at
www.porterloring.com

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sanantonio/obituary.aspx?n=howard-cook&pid=152532849&fhid=7331

I see death every day.......this is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life......
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 8:30:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Happy Birthday my son.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 5:59:03 AM EDT
[#12]
R.I.P.

Link Posted: 8/19/2011 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Howie Cook was my Brother Rat at VMI. We met at boot camp in the Marines 1997 and we were one of seven reserve Marines attending Virginia Military Institute while enlisted. We were on the VMI Rifle Team and he was always an exceptional shooter—very passionate about shooting a wide range of firearms and doing it well. I've loosely remained in contact with him since graduation, but most recently reunited with him through a Private Message on ar15.com. He was a Federal Reserve police officer after graduation and stayed enlisted even though he earned his degree and met the qualifications to become an officer. But, he always seemed to stay in uniform. He went to Iraq in 2005 as a sergeant in the Marines and eventually decided that he wanted to learn to fly Blackhawk helicopters and moved to the Army side. He loved service in all forms.  

Our 10th Reunion is on October 22 at VMI. We've lost a number of other fellow classmates to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (Josh Hurley, Charles Ransom). It frustrates me to no end that Howie had to go out this way. DAMMIT!

Miss you Howie,
Eric

Eric R. Poole, Editor
SIP Division, InterMedia Outdoors
Guns & Ammo Book of the AR-15
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By unit30:
Happy Birthday my son.

Sir-

I am sorry for your loss.

I was looking into attending WOFT awhile back, and Howie took the time to write a long "what to do/not to do" IM here. He spent alot of time writing to help a person he'd never met and likely would never meet.

A gentleman of the first order, and while my sorrow can never match yours, please be comforted by the fact that many people, whom you'll never met, share your pain in our small fashion.

Link Posted: 9/2/2011 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Lone Star Medal of Valor Citation

For extraordinary herisom at the cost of his own life on 07 July 2011. While driving his POV on Highway 195 in Killeen , Texas on 07 July 2011, CW2 Howard Cook and his passenger, 1LT Rachel Ries, observed a Chevrolet Suburban driving directly at them. This vehicle was driving the wrong way on a 70 mph highway and showed no sign of turning or slowing. Given three to four seconds to respond to the situation, CW2 Cook intentionally turned his SUV to the right, absorbing the impact directly on the driver’s side. CW2 Cook had options to absorb the impact head on, or turn left for an impact to the passenger side. Either option would have certainly resulted in the death of his passenger, 1LT Rachel Ries. CW2 Cook’s conscious decision to turn his vehicle to the right intentionally placing him directly in the impact zone resulted in his own death and directly saved 1LT Ries life. CW2 Cook’s heroic actions reflect great credit upon himself, his family, his unit, and the Texas Army National Guard.

I just felt it necessary to let the Forum know what caused the death of my son and in his death became a Texas and Virginia Hero.

Howard J. Cook, Jr.
Senior Special Agent (Retired)
Virginia State Police
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Well brother... we're all back safe and sound.  I know you got a kick watching all the dumb stuff we did, and I only wish I could have flown with you over there.  I know you were with each of us, guiding and looking out for the crews, keeping us safe.  You will never be forgotten.

"FASTER THAN DEATH"
-Valkyrie Dustoff
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top