Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 1/17/2014 9:32:01 PM EST
Has anyone here who attended SHOT enquired into whether runs of 9mm and .22LR ammunition will be done soon by any of the manufacturers? What are the manufacturers saying about production output?

5.56/.223 is now readily available here, but .22LR and 9mm are still a pain to find.
m118lr762
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/17/2014 10:42:19 PM EST
MAN you got that right. It has been a year now and 22 is still NOT easy to find or when you do find it people are marking it up to make money.
SilentType
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/17/2014 10:53:51 PM EST
I wish I saw 1/10th as many companies announce ammunition lines as there were that announced new firearms lines.

We really need more ammunition to keep our ranks growing. If folks can't shoot they will not buy firearms...just that simple. Ammunition has to be readily available and inexpensive to promote the rest of the industry.
aedavis
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/17/2014 11:20:17 PM EST
A Hornady rep told me that their ammunition production is up by 40%, but demand is up 200%. I don't know if those numbers are similar at Remington, Speer, or Winchester, but I'm guessing they are. More manufacturers are going to have to get into the market or demand will have to decrease before we see anything 'normal'.
SilentType
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2014 12:01:21 AM EST
Any mention of material shortages or was it all just inability to have production capacity meet demand?

I mean at this point I'd welcome foreign companies importing more into the US.
TexasRifleman1985
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2014 12:14:22 AM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By SilentType:
I wish I saw 1/10th as many companies announce ammunition lines as there were that announced new firearms lines.

We really need more ammunition to keep our ranks growing. If folks can't shoot they will not buy firearms...just that simple. Ammunition has to be readily available and inexpensive to promote the rest of the industry.

Lots of the fresh blood in the gun world aren't buying guns to actually shoot them... Just sayin'.

Just like most people who own guns don't actually shoot them annually.

Originally Posted By SilentType:
Any mention of material shortages or was it all just inability to have production capacity meet demand?

You do know that demand is sky high, right? Ammo makers have been running extra shifts (a few running three shifts, when they have the needed components) for a long time now. They are doing everything reasonable to fill what they see as a temporary increase in demand.

I mean at this point I'd welcome foreign companies importing more into the US.

A huge amount of rimfire ammo is imported... The majority if I recall correctly.
Freakzilla Died Fo Freedom.
graysonp
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2014 5:47:40 AM EST
Pretty much the same story as usual: production can't meet demand. Our ATK rep said that Federal/CCI has backorders for 22LR ammo to cover the next 10 years of production. They simply can't make it fast enough to supply every store in the nation with what they're trying to buy.

22LR will still be in short supply this year. Until consumer demand starts to drop off, there's no way the manufacturers are going to catch up.
Gamaliel Shooting Supply

http://www.facebook.com/GamalielShootingSupply
http://twitter.com/GamalielShoot
www.gamaliel.com
PCBliss
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2014 6:03:21 AM EST
There's no shortage on 9mm.
ChickenDaddy
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2014 7:17:41 AM EST
At federal we average 4.5 million rounds of 22lr made and packed every 24 hr period, 24/7. Last week we did 5.2 million one period (unusual). That's just the Anoka plant. Think of all the other foreign and domestic produced 22. People are just scared and hoarding--which is OK by me. Just like rice how many years ago? People who never bought rice had a sack in their homes like a talisman. I know people who never shoot who want 22lr.

rtran
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2014 7:21:32 AM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By PCBliss:
There's no shortage on 9mm.

cpermd
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2014 1:05:28 PM EST
Remington is cranking out more 22LR than ever
They have just spent $32 million to make more here in Arkansas
Malitov
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2014 10:39:11 PM EST
My local Wal-mart has 9mm and 40 S&W stacked to the ceiling. 22LR not so much. You can still find it if you look hard enough.
ns66
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/18/2014 10:54:52 PM EST
22lr shortage is easy to understand, all other ammo prices are way too high, so people don't buy and shoot them, they all switched to buy and shoot 22lr which is cheaper. to solve the problem, either lower other ammo prices, or make more 22lr, or raises 22lr price as well
SilentType
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/19/2014 9:40:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2014 9:41:37 PM EST by SilentType]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By TexasRifleman1985:

Lots of the fresh blood in the gun world aren't buying guns to actually shoot them... Just sayin'.

I don't have firm data at hand, but it certainly appears to me that there are more firearms instruction courses and greater participation in firearms competition than at any point in recent history. I believe those competitions and courses are a draw for people to purchase firearms.

Originally Posted By TexasRifleman1985:
Just like most people who own guns don't actually shoot them annually.

I don't know if that's true or not. However, I do know that record numbers of people are going through the NICS background checks and I assume as the number of firearms owners grow so to does the number of people who actually fire their firearms annually even if the percentage remains roughly the same. In my State we continue to see large numbers of people obtaining licenses to concealed carry and that means they are attending the required course and shooting the required 100 rounds.

Originally Posted By TexasRifleman1985:

You do know that demand is sky high, right? Ammo makers have been running extra shifts (a few running three shifts, when they have the needed components) for a long time now. They are doing everything reasonable to fill what they see as a temporary increase in demand.

I assume demand is sky high. I assume it has been sky high for some time now since as someone how actually shoots his firearms I have seen ammunition steadily rise in price while being told that the manufacturers are adding shifts to increase production output. The recent extreme demand may not continue, but I think demand will continue to steadily climb. The "new normal" in terms of ammunition demand is just going to be more than it was in 2011.

SilentType
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/19/2014 9:42:40 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Malitov:
My local Wal-mart has 9mm and 40 S&W stacked to the ceiling. 22LR not so much. You can still find it if you look hard enough.

That's not the case here unfortunately with 9mm. We do have 40 S&W available, but I wouldn't say it was stacked to the ceiling just yet.
omd
I would post more but I'm too busy shooting
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2014 5:22:48 PM EST
Right now, based on industry orders and reports, it looks like it will be after the 2nd quarter of 2015 before the ammo binge is over. That's barring any new events spiking demand again.
You see, the danger to America is not a single politician with ill intent. The most dangerous thing any nation faces is a citizenry capable of trusting a liar to lead them. Andy Andrews
13starsinax
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2014 5:46:54 PM EST
OP: Do you now not feel comfortable for some reason with lets say five bricks in the cabinet? I know that before the madness if I had two bricks in the cabinet I would be fine with that till I got down to half a brick I would go get more. With the way things are now no matter what I pick up my allowance of three boxes or one brick whatever the place of business delegates. I know I am not alone call it hording if you want, but when I see it I purchase it. I cant sit up at wally world every morning or whatever so when it's else where I grab it. This time last year there was hardly any 5.56 to come by now it's everywhere I go. Hopefully it will all level off, but it wont till everyone like me quits impulse buying for the if question.
Originally Posted By SigChef:
Does your wife or girlfriend stop ovulating when you're not around?
PAPPYO
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2014 8:57:36 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By ChickenDaddy:
At federal we average 4.5 million rounds of 22lr made and packed every 24 hr period, 24/7. Last week we did 5.2 million one period (unusual). That's just the Anoka plant. Think of all the other foreign and domestic produced 22. People are just scared and hoarding--which is OK by me. Just like rice how many years ago? People who never bought rice had a sack in their homes like a talisman. I know people who never shoot who want 22lr.

that's crankin it out! I'm surprised an offshore company hasn't built a plant here? down southeast
Kristofer_G
Practically practical.
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/20/2014 10:12:52 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By 13starsinax:
OP: Do you now not feel comfortable for some reason with lets say five bricks in the cabinet? I know that before the madness if I had two bricks in the cabinet I would be fine with that till I got down to half a brick I would go get more. With the way things are now no matter what I pick up my allowance of three boxes or one brick whatever the place of business delegates. I know I am not alone call it hording if you want, but when I see it I purchase it. I cant sit up at wally world every morning or whatever so when it's else where I grab it. This time last year there was hardly any 5.56 to come by now it's everywhere I go. Hopefully it will all level off, but it wont till everyone like me quits impulse buying for the if question.

Normally I am fine with two to five bricks at home. But normally there is fifty plus cases at work to replace it with. Basically been out of stock on 22LR for the last year. Where there is nothing on the shelf at work, I want at least two cases at home. Trouble is I shoot the stuff. Between myself, my wife, and our boys, with no special effort on any ones part, cases of 22LR disappear. I mean just evaporate. A couple of bricks means we are out of ammo.
ARMED-PILOT
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/21/2014 9:22:31 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By PAPPYO:
Originally Posted By ChickenDaddy:

that's crankin it out! I'm surprised an offshore company hasn't built a plant here? down southeast
That is only 10,400 bricks or 208 bricks per state.
ChickenDaddy
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/22/2014 8:23:09 AM EST
PER DAY.

Green0
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/22/2014 12:16:12 PM EST
With current availability of rimfire ammo I haven't been able to buy a brick for a year and haven't shot a single round of rimfire ammo the whole time.
9divdoc
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2014 8:27:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/23/2014 8:31:22 PM EST by 9divdoc]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By ARMED-PILOT:
Originally Posted By PAPPYO:http://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?a=modify&b=1&f=150&t=1581945&r=45265500&page=1#

thats about 3.33 bricks per county per day in WI
or
4.44 bricks per Walmart per day in WI (if Walmart got all the ammo and no one else did)
Without God,America Doesn't Have A Prayer.
Green0
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2014 10:34:18 AM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By 9divdoc:
Originally Posted By ARMED-PILOT:
Originally Posted By PAPPYO:http://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?a=modify&b=1&f=150&t=1581945&r=45265500&page=1#

or
4.44 bricks per Walmart per day in WI (if Walmart got all the ammo and no one else did)

There are two walmarts in my county (waukesha) so that's 1.66 bricks per day or roughly 550 per year and both stores serve about 200000 customers so if even 20% shot that's 40000 customers with 550 bricks. No wonder the ammo is impossible to find.
TexasRifleman1985
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2014 7:24:41 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Green0:
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:
Originally Posted By ARMED-PILOT:

or

There are two walmarts in my county (waukesha) so that's 1.66 bricks per day or roughly 550 per year and both stores serve about 200000 customers so if even 20% shot that's 40000 customers with 550 bricks. No wonder the ammo is impossible to find.

You do realize that's just Federal, right? Not Winchester, Remington, CCI, Aguila, etc?

Furthermore, far less than 20% of the populace shoots.
Freakzilla Died Fo Freedom.
hammer22801
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2014 11:30:05 PM EST
There is plenty of .22 ammo available on gunbot.net if your willing to pay $$$$$$$ .15-.60 CPR.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2