Link Posted: 8/12/2017 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#1]
LP by a mile.   
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 4:43:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Les Paul Gibson
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The first two led Zeppelin albums were recorded on a Telecaster.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The Stratocaster was the heavy hitter for many years in rock. I think the telecaster is more popular now than in the past. If you want heavy rock sounds nothing beats a LP through a Marshall stack. I picture a Jackson when you talk about the early days of heavy metal.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The first two led Zeppelin albums were recorded on a Telecaster.
View Quote
I like Jimmy Page. The older I get and the more I explore the roots of rock guitar the more I keep coming back he and the guys of his era.  In the proper hands a one string shoe box guitar with a $2 phone mic as a pick up would sound good.  

But. I think the discussion is really about the three guitars that have been and still are at the forefront of rock and roll. The Strat. The Tele and the Les Paul.  

Pick any defining riff, song, solo, artist or band and one of these guitars will be right there.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe the big four guitarists all play cheap Asian guitars, at least on stage and the album covers.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:26:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I believe the big four guitarists all play cheap Asian guitars, at least on stage and the album covers.
View Quote
Who?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Kirk and James play ESPs, Slayer-B.C. Rich, Schecter, ESP, Anthrax-ESP, Jackson, Megadeath-Ibanez and Dean.  No Gibsons or Fenders to be found in metal.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Kirk and James play ESPs, Slayer-B.C. Rich, Schecter, ESP, Anthrax-ESP, Jackson, Megadeath-Ibanez and Dean.  No Gibsons or Fenders to be found in metal.
View Quote
Those are the big 4 >thrash < bands.

There are tons of strats, telecasters, and les pauls in metal.

In fact, there are more recorded telecasters than most others.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I would argue that the Superstrat, as ill-defined as it is, the the ultimate "heavy-hitter", which is a bit different from the question you posed. See, Superstrats weren't really around until the late 70s and the 80s, so you can't really argue that they were big with the founders and forerunners of hard rock. Regular Strats still figure heavily into the evolution of hard rock and metal, though - one of the prominent players to come to mind immediately being Ritchie Blackmore.

As mentioned, Ibanez and Schecter feature heavily in the heavier genres today, and both of those companies have really been built around Superstrats.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Those are the big 4 >thrash < bands.

There are tons of strats, telecasters, and les pauls in metal.

In fact, there are more recorded telecasters than most others.
View Quote
The big 4 account for 90% of the metal albums every sold, depending on how you define metal.  Where does hard rock end and metal begin?  There are zero strats and teles in metal if we are talking about proper, single coil Fenders.  The teles that Jim Root and John5 play have humbuckers or EMGs.  EMGs mounted in a 2X4 sound like every metal guitar since the 90's.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The big 4 account for 90% of the metal albums every sold, depending on how you define metal.  Where does hard rock end and metal begin?  There are zero strats and teles in metal if we are talking about proper, single coil Fenders.  The teles that Jim Root and John5 play have humbuckers or EMGs.  EMGs mounted in a 2X4 sound like every metal guitar since the 90's.
View Quote
Not quite. Again, in that genre, sure, but metal as a whole? Not even close. 

There are TONS of teles in metal, including on the albums by the bands you think represent the majority of sales. Single coil guitars work very well for recording due to the way they saturate as well as the note and chord clarity. They suck for most live applications due to the noise, hence why most people don't use them live. Even still, there are plenty of players who use both teles and strats, both single coil, for metal. 

Including the two you think only use EMG loaded guitars.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I admit I am basing my opinion based upon live rigs or the artists signature guitars.  I am totally ignorant as to what they actually record with.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:46:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Last time I saw Metallica live, James played mostly Gibsons and Ken Lawrence.

Kirk played Gibsons and ESP

Slayer Kerry played BC Rich and Jeff played ESP

Dave Mustaine of Megadeth used to play mainly Jackson before they angered him and he pouted and went to other companies. I wish he had remained in Metallica.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Depends on how heavy you want to get. For modern heavy metal, between the two choices in the OP... it's no contest.

Plenty of Gibsons in modern metal.

Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#17]
When you say "founders", I'd tend to include things like the Gibson ES models and various Gretsch guitars.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top