Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2017 2:05:16 PM EDT
I'll be in Joe's Studio Friday and Saturday for a "Recording Guitars and Vocals" class.

If you guys like something he's done, and want to know more about how he does it, post your questions here and I'll try to ask everything.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#1]
He worked with Chevelle on Hats off to the Bull, one of my favorite albums.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Be cool to know about producing in general.  They seem to wear all sorts of hats.  But how hands on is it actually when it comes to song selection, arrangement, etc?  Does he actually listen to say 30 demo songs from the band and "help" pick 15 for the album?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Ask him his favorite drum micing technique and favorite (go  to) compressor, outboard or plug.

Thanx!

Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be cool to know about producing in general.  They seem to wear all sorts of hats.  But how hands on is it actually when it comes to song selection, arrangement, etc?  Does he actually listen to say 30 demo songs from the band and "help" pick 15 for the album?
View Quote
I'll ask.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ask him his favorite drum micing technique and favorite (go  to) compressor, outboard or plug.

Thanx!

View Quote
I may or may not get to ask this since he has a couple of days on drum miking, mixing, etc separate from the guitar and vocal days that I'll be involved in. I wish I had time to do the whole week, especially the mixing intensive days, but unfortunately I don't.

Joe does have some videos where he talks about the whole process including drums, and it's good, but I hope to get a lot more from these couple of days. I'm really looking forward to this. Joe is a funny guy too, with an irreverent sense of humor. My kind of guy. I did a class at his place a couple of years ago with Andrew Scheps, and it was a blast.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
He worked with Chevelle on Hats off to the Bull, one of my favorite albums.
View Quote
Joe has a shitload of credits. He was a Sound city guy, so he's seen it all.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:06:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess just general stuff like what frequencies he favors for various instruments and vocals. Ect
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I guess just general stuff like what frequencies he favors for various instruments and vocals. Ect
View Quote
Will do.

I'll make notes about Pres, filters, etc.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:52:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanx!

View Quote
I think I can safely say that he would say that he would use whatever works for the song. Joes studio is called JHOC- Joes house of compression, and he pretty much described it right. There are different comps Everywhere you look.

He did say that he'd never use outboard comps on electric guitar, he'd pretty much always use a pedal, except for room mic on guitars. He used an la3a on the room mic today. He was asked why, and he said he could have used anything, but it was right there and easy to hook up :)
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:00:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
The rest of the guys taking the class are doing a full week, so they were there and did drums for two days. Today we worked on getting a good electric guitar sound. We spent a LOT of time on phase.

We got the guitar sound with no other instruments being recorded except drums, so I asked if Joe typically gets a good guitar sound, and then fits his bass in around the guitar, and he pretty much does. He did say that he will always record the whole band as a reference first though,so I guess you can assume by that that he's kind of knows what he wants to hear from the reference tracks.

Tomorrow we do acoustic guitar, bass, and vocals.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Guitars were recorded through a neve side car, so he used all neve pres, and then straight into protools.

He set up was a small combo out in the studio next to a wizard cabinet. There were foam baffles between them, on each side, and out in front. On the combo. (An old fender) he used a Blue dynamic. He said they are cheap sleeper mics. I think he said the model was a 100, or 101.

He had a wizard head in the control room fed from a splitter that also fed the combo. On the way out of the wizard to the cabinet, he hit a rockcrusher and he used the line out from that also.

On the wizard cab, he had a 57 on one speaker, a 421 on and other, and a royer 122b on another. He initially started moving the 57 around until he had a pretty good sound, then started moving the 421 until it complimented well (after making sure phase worked with the 57). In the end we decided that. We liked the 421 sound best, and it would be the root to work from, and moved the 57 and 122b to compliment the 421.

Then we played with room mics, and the rock crusher.

In the end we doubled tracks for L and R, so each side had a combo of the mics above committed for each side, except that he did not commit the rooms.

Pardon my typos, this iPad ain't cooperating...
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanx for the update

Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:56:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Cool. Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top