Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2017 2:11:58 PM EDT
suck donkey balls?

I swear every time I move it in and out it somehow gets more flat.

What am I doing wrong?

Should I trash this thing?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to block the trem. You can use the Tremol-No or something similar. I used the brass stopper from fu-tone. You don't have to fully block the trem, but it has to be at least dive only.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:17:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I do have it blocked, with a killer guitar products block. I'm also using old strings, so they probably aren't stretching.

Works well for you?

Maybe I'll put new strings on, and get them stretched out before trying again
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 2:23:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I called it a block, but I guess a stopper would have been a better term. It basically stops you from being able to pull up on the trem and only allows dives. You want the springs tight enough so the trem doesn't move at all when swapping the D-Tuna.

Ibanez backstop

FU-Tone stopper

Also, I didn't read the instructions at first. You have to tune it to D first, then push it in and use the tiny allen screw to tune to E.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep. I have a block, and paralleled the FR body to the guitar body with the block, and it only dives.

I made sure that there is room between the dtuna and the body, so it's not bottoming out, and did tune to d like the instructions said.

I'm going to try some new strings, and stretch the good, and try again.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 1:02:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, try new strings then. I didn't know about the block when I first got mine, but once I added that, I haven't had any problems since.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, try new strings then. I didn't know about the block when I first got mine, but once I added that, I haven't had any problems since.
View Quote
That's good news. At least I know it actually works for you.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:19:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Hi, I'm considering buying one of these to try out on one of my Floyd equipped Jacksons, I have read that you lose low and mid frequencies when using the D Tuna.

I use big brass blocks on my Floyd Rose equipped guitars and have plenty of chunk and would hate to lose any of it

Have either of you experienced this? I have enough guitars to where I can just switch for different tuning, but honestly I don't want to carry 2 guitars to practice and the only time I want to change guitars is for a different sound, some songs need played with the Les Paul.

I didn't mean or want to hijack your thread, I didn't want to start another thread on D Tunas.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hi, I'm considering buying one of these to try out on one of my Floyd equipped Jacksons, I have read that you lose low and mid frequencies when using the D Tuna.

I use big brass blocks on my Floyd Rose equipped guitars and have plenty of chunk and would hate to lose any of it

Have either of you experienced this? I have enough guitars to where I can just switch for different tuning, but honestly I don't want to carry 2 guitars to practice and the only time I want to change guitars is for a different sound, some songs need played with the Les Paul.

I didn't mean or want to hijack your thread, I didn't want to start another thread on D Tunas.

Thanks!
View Quote
I haven't had enough time with it to tell yet.

Hopefully someone else can chime in.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I finally got mine installed and set up, took some time to get it all fine tuned but no loss in tone as far as I can tell.

I used a tremolo stopper on mine, nothing fancy, just a plain L shaped piece of brass that mounts inside the tremolo spring cavity.

It was frustrating to say the least, my strings were not new but they wasn't old either, basically put on and hardly played.

Keeping it in tune seemed to be off the list so to say, but once I got it all nailed down and adjusted it stays in tune and changing from E to D is much quicker now.

This is the first time I've installed one of these and it wasn't easy, I think if I did it to one of my other guitars it would be easier now, which I"m contemplating doing one or 2 more.

Now if I could find someone to route my Epiphone Les Paul for a Floyd that would be great. Not willing to attempt that one.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Now if I could find someone to route my Epiphone Les Paul for a Floyd that would be great. Not willing to attempt that one.
View Quote
There is a FR variant that surface mounts. If I had a LP that didn't come with a FR, that's what I'd do. Doesn't alter your guitar.

Can't remember what it's called. Someone will chime in hopefully.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Floyd Rose FRX. The D-Tuna won't work on it, or lo-pro Floyds, though.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thank man!
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Adjust he fine tuning with the set screw. It might take some time to set it up. And it always needs tweaking as your strings stretch. I love it though. It's definitely handy.

A little side note: I remember when EVH came out with it, his initial plans were to use one on each string so you could instantly drop to different tunings. But there's not enough travel in the saddles on the higher strings to work properly.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There is a FR variant that surface mounts. If I had a LP that didn't come with a FR, that's what I'd do. Doesn't alter your guitar.

Can't remember what it's called. Someone will chime in hopefully.
View Quote
Kahler Free-Flyte?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Kahler Free-Flyte?
View Quote
FRX
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Those were originally $300 when they first came out, you can get one now for around $250.

One problem is you still have to have the body partially routed on a Custom because of the arched top, the other you already mentioned.

I think for $300 I could get an FRS and have the guitar routed, I haven't checked into it yet. Not really sure if I want to do all that, it would be nice to have though.

Oh by the way, I've been using nothing but my Jackson with the D Tuna on it at practice and I really like it, so much easier to switch tuning, I recommend it if you use different tuning and hate changing guitars.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Low-pro, at least the Ibanez Edge, I can see why it wouldn't work. The strings are locked in differently. Why not on the FRX? It appears to have standard string locking screws. With the blocking knob on an FRX, you could just block it and crank the fine tuner down anyway.

This guy installed and used a D-Tuna on an FRX:
http://jbwid.com/guitar/lpfrx.htm
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:26:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Low-pro, at least the Ibanez Edge, I can see why it wouldn't work. The strings are locked in differently. Why not on the FRX? It appears to have standard string locking screws. With the blocking knob on an FRX, you could just block it and crank the fine tuner down anyway.

This guy installed and used a D-Tuna on an FRX:
http://jbwid.com/guitar/lpfrx.htm
View Quote
What? I was answering a question about what the name of the Floyd Rose that goes in place of a Tune-O-Matic setup, not whether a D-Tuna will work in one or not.

Then somebody asked about the D-Tuna with a Jackson. Well, alot of the import Jacksons have Lo-Pro Floyds. 
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What? I was answering a question about what the name of the Floyd Rose that goes in place of a Tune-O-Matic setup, not whether a D-Tuna will work in one or not.

Then somebody asked about the D-Tuna with a Jackson. Well, alot of the import Jacksons have Lo-Pro Floyds. 
View Quote
My mistake. I thought you were saying the D-Tuna wouldn't work on an FRX.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:30:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My mistake. I thought you were saying the D-Tuna wouldn't work on an FRX.
View Quote
No worries. I should've quoted them directly to avoid confusion, but I was being lazy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top