Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2017 4:58:06 PM EDT
I've always been curious about this as a rock aficionado.  Both guitars have made tons of great music so how are they different in terms of playability, tone, etc. ?

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#1]
About ten pounds 
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#2]
a lot of sound difference. A les has more resonance and a deeper or meatier tone, the strat (and even more so a telecaster) has a twangier sound to it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
About ten pounds 
View Quote
And a sore shoulder after slinging that Les Paul without a wide strap.

What steviesterno16 said is correct.  Because of the Les Paul's mass the tonal quality is a bit deeper than the Strat.  In my humble opinion the Strat is the more versatile of the two.  Which is why you'll find it in virtually any musical genre that calls for an electric guitar.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#4]
LP will give you dual humbucking pickups that will provide a wide array of deep, rich tones. 

Strat will give you single coils and maybe a humbucker for a wide array of light, rich tones.  

There's no "Ones better than the other" - spend some time listening to some serious Strat players then contrast that with the tones you'll hear from LP players. 

It's just my opinion, but I have a way better time shredding on a Strat than an LP. 
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#5]
All of the answers above are correct.  I've played both, Les Paul Custom and a Fender Stratocaster.  The Gibson LP does have a unique tone that is rich and full.  What I liked about the Fender Strat was the ability to put the middle and third (closest to the bridge) pickups out of phase to give it that unique Strat sound one frequently hears...
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Fuck if I know.  

But really, a Les Paul should provide a thicker tone.  That said, amps, pedals, and wiring can go a long way to bridging the gap.  Even string choice can have a big effect on tone.  And then there's hands... a n00b with SRV's rig will not sound like SRV.  

I spent three years working in large music store and played a lot of guitars, a lot of amps, and a lot of pedals.  Buy what either a) feels good or b) looks cool (or both!).  Unless you're playing an extremely bare-bones rig, the guitar itself will play a small part compared to the amp and whatever is between the guitar and amp.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Joe Bonamassa''s Gibson Les Paul tone tips guitar lesson
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Because nobody mentioned it, the difference in the tone is caused primarily from the scale length of the neck followed second by the electronics and third by the tone wood.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Sound.  Single coils are very different then Humbuckers.

Some may argue but Strats play better IMHO.  But I prefer the Les Paul's sound.  Even Strats with Humbuckers don't have that sound.

For the longest time I was a SuperStrat only guy.  Then my understanding and appreciation of tone matured.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Plenty has already been said about the tonal and construction facets, so I'll just add-- they are like having a set of box wrenches and a set of sockets in your toolbox-- each does the same thing, but in a unique way that sometimes makes it just the right tool for the job. Most of the guys I grew up playing with in the 1960s (myself included) still keep one of each around, because some days you feel like Dwayne Allman and some days you feel like Jeff Fucking Beck--
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Plenty has already been said about the tonal and construction facets, so I'll just add-- they are like having a set of box wrenches and a set of sockets in your toolbox-- each does the same thing, but in a unique way that sometimes makes it just the right tool for the job. Most of the guys I grew up playing with in the 1960s (myself included) still keep one of each around, because some days you feel like Dwayne Allman and some days you feel like Jeff Fucking Beck--
View Quote
True.  But I lean on my Paul most of the time.  I still haven't figured out how to get killer tone out of a true(SSS) Strat.  I know it can be done, I've heard it but I don't know the secret mojo.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:57:52 AM EDT
[#13]
That guy will never be any good.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#14]
A Stratocaster sounds musical even if it is a little out of tune.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Many thanks to all of you for the great responses.  

I should probably head to the closest Guitar Center and do some looking.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Many thanks to all of you for the great responses.  

I should probably head to the closest Guitar Center and do some looking.
View Quote
Don't limit yourself to LP's & Strats, though.  There are some other fine-sounding guitars out there, each with their own character.  I played a Les Paul goldtop for years, and still a die-hard LP fan, but the best-sounding, "crunchiest" guitar I ever played was a Schecter.  Tried to buy it from the guy on the spot but he wouldn't turn loose of it.  

ETA:  you can really wring some beautiful tone out of a Tele too if you're in the right mood.  Gotta show it who's boss, though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Don't limit yourself to LP's & Strats, though.  There are some other fine-sounding guitars out there, each with their own character.  I played a Les Paul goldtop for years, and still a die-hard LP fan, but the best-sounding, "crunchiest" guitar I ever played was a Schecter.  Tried to buy it from the guy on the spot but he wouldn't turn loose of it.  

ETA:  you can really wring some beautiful tone out of a Tele too if you're in the right mood.  Gotta show it who's boss, though.
View Quote
I had a MIM Standard Tele that kept tune better than any other guitar I've had.  I rewired the stock electronics to replace the tone pot with a push-pull pot that ran the single coils in series in the middle position.  It did NOT sound like a Tele like that.  Like an idiot, I sold it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#18]
The difference between a helicopter  and an airplane.  They both fly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 12:25:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The difference between a helicopter  and an airplane.  They both fly.
View Quote
Wrong..airplanes fly..helicopters are so ugly the earth repels them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#21]
For the most part, I always played strat copies. None of them had the knob,switch layout of the real strat.

I now own a real strat for the first time in my life, and I hate the position of the first knob, closest to the bridge. It is really in the way when picking and palm muting.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I've owned dozens of strats and LPs (and everything else) over the years. They are night and day. Neither will satisfy if you're after the other's vibe. An LP is generally much easier to play and has a long, singing sustain. A strat is harder to play (it's got a longer string scale) and is very plucky/percussive in nature. Both have their uses. I used to be ALL about strats. But these days I'm all about LPs. Except my Tom Anderson Classic strat. It sustains like an LP and the three Anderson strats that I've had are the best strats that I've ever owned by far. The Fender American strats are okay, but don't compare to the Andersons. Not in the same league.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
For the most part, I always played strat copies. None of them had the knob,switch layout of the real strat.

I now own a real strat for the first time in my life, and I hate the position of the first knob, closest to the bridge. It is really in the way when picking and palm muting.
View Quote
You get use to it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've owned dozens of strats and LPs (and everything else) over the years. They are night and day. Neither will satisfy if you're after the other's vibe. An LP is generally much easier to play and has a long, singing sustain. A strat is harder to play (it's got a longer string scale) and is very plucky/percussive in nature. Both have their uses. I used to be ALL about strats. But these days I'm all about LPs. Except my Tom Anderson Classic strat. It sustains like an LP and the three Anderson strats that I've had are the best strats that I've ever owned by far. The Fender American strats are okay, but don't compare to the Andersons. Not in the same league.
View Quote
Ha Ha
I used to be all about Taylors, but then I was all about Gibsons. But then I found a Burny Les Paul and I was ALL about Japanese clones, but NOW I AM ALL OVER Jazzmasters!
It's not quite as bad as BRD yet.  I'm hoping someone can peel the scale off soon.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You get use to it.
View Quote
I've been trying to get used to wrapping my pinky around the right side of the knob to get it out of the way. A little success.

I was looking at the warmouth site, and they have a pick guard with the first knob moved down towards the 5way. I might try it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:20:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I keep turning the volume down when I don't want to.  Annoys the hell out of me and I'm too use to playing Les Pauls and my Explorer to change.  I take the volume knob off so I don't have to deal with it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:46:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I keep turning the volume down when I don't want to.  Annoys the hell out of me and I'm too use to playing Les Pauls and my Explorer to change.  I take the volume knob off so I don't have to deal with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just swap it with one of the tone pots. Run all pups through the middle pot for tone and leave the top knob dead.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You get use to it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get use to it.
Yep, you really do. It took quite a getting used to when PMing, but it's not much of an issue any more. Got my proper (but MIM) Strat about four months ago now.

I was very into Gibsons in college. Didn't care much for Fenders at the time. Now, complete 180. Don't care much for LPs and SGs any more, and absolutely love my Strat.

I had played around with Strats a bit in the past, but back then still preferred my LP. I think one thing that really started to sway me was my Schecter - I started playing a Hellraiser some years ago, and got to the point where I never played my LP. I decided to finally go back and take a more serious look at proper Strats this year, and after playing one then decided immediately that I had to have one.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks to all of you for the great feedback, it's much appreciated.  

I like this Strat and the price suits my budget:  http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/American-Special-Stratocaster-HSS-Maple-Fingerboard-Electric-Guitar-Black-Maple-Fingerboard-1439818604375.gc?pfm=item_page.rr2|ClickEV

But I've read that it can be difficult to keep a Strat in tune even when the tremolo bar is not used.  Is this true?

Once I tune my Gibson acoustic it  stays in tune.  Of course one or two strings need a small turn of the key occasionally.

The Gibson SG is also an option fwiw.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thanks to all of you for the great feedback, it's much appreciated.  

I like this Strat and the price suits my budget:  http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/American-Special-Stratocaster-HSS-Maple-Fingerboard-Electric-Guitar-Black-Maple-Fingerboard-1439818604375.gc?pfm=item_page.rr2|ClickEV

But I've read that it can be difficult to keep a Strat in tune even when the tremolo bar is not used.  Is this true?

Once I tune my Gibson acoustic it  stays in tune.  Of course one or two strings need a small turn of the key occasionally.

The Gibson SG is also an option fwiw.
View Quote
My Gibson LP doesn't keep tune very well.  Marginally better than my old Chinese Squier.  

Put some graphite on the nut where the strings cross, make sure the tremolo isn't floating, and *PROPERLY* string the guitar, and you'll have no trouble keeping a Strat in tune.  Some guys insist on Fender Super Bullet strings, but I never found a big difference between those and traditional ball-end strings.  

Too many people don't bother to stretch new strings, will tie knots in the strings to keep them attached to the tuning pegs, have a dozen wraps of the string around the peg, or engage in other dumb fuckery that will screw with how well a guitar keeps tune.  

If you want a floating tremolo, get a Floyd Rose or other locking tremolo.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:42:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks very much for the answer Strat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top