Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2017 5:31:06 PM EDT
Finally saw my childhood guitar hero (Yngwie) live, last Wednesday at the HoB in Vegas. He was having some technical difficulties and he and his tech were furiously working on things throughout the evening. I could tell that he was more than a little distracted by it all. But he was still amazing and it was so satisfying to be up against the barrier right in front of him after so many years of wanting to see him live. I'm from the sticks of Montana... so to see someone like Yngwie you have to escape flyover country for the big city.

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#1]

I saw Ynwgie in 1989 at the Palace in Detroit with Dio.  Great show I had no idea he was still touring.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/F6823675-9D9C-4584-A847-E7A28D3BB1B9-992-000000A8FB0366AE.jpg

I saw Ynwgie in 1989 at the Palace in Detroit with Dio.  Great show I had no idea he was still touring.
View Quote

Nice! Still in his prime back then.

But he's still pretty damned good!
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 7:41:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I caught him in Houston on Saturday. Had to drive 2 hours home after and be at work for 5am. It was worth it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 8:37:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I caught him in Houston on Saturday. Had to drive 2 hours home after and be at work for 5am. It was worth it.
View Quote
Nice!

I drove home 16 hours the day after, and it was worth it as well... especially since I got to oggle the rugged beauty of places like Mesquite, NV and St. George, UT. Love that drive!
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice! Are your ears still ringing? Lol
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#6]
LOL...fake Marshall stacks.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice! Are your ears still ringing? Lol
View Quote
Nope. We bought a bag full of ear plugs at the CVS on the way to the show. Ended-up giving some out to people in line who'd forgotten theirs. Considering where we were, it's a good thing we had them. We definitely heard more Yngwie than the rest of the band where we were. But hey... that's why we were there!
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not all. There are numerous threads on gear forums about what Yngwie tours with. He's far more likely to roll with the good stuff than most performers (outside of Bonamassa).
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not all. There are numerous threads on gear forums about what Yngwie tours with. He's far more likely to roll with the good stuff than most performers (outside of Bonamassa).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:07:56 PM EDT
[#10]
When/where was that pic taken? Also notice that I said "not all". I counted 7 that were powered on, on my side of the stage.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

When/where was that pic taken? Also notice that I said "not all". I counted 7 that were powered on, on my side of the stage.
View Quote
Also, ACDC and every other 80s band that's toured with a wall of Marshalls has used the same fake shit.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:18:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Lots of people post that pic in Yngwie threads. Can I let you in on a secret? It doesn't make the ones who do it look clever, or like they know something that no one else does. It makes them look like dipshits.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:26:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lots of people post that pic in Yngwie threads. Can I let you in on a secret? It doesn't make the ones who do it look clever, or like they know something that no one else does. It makes them look like dipshits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
So you are the big man for calling people names that repost a picture that someone else posted first in this thread. All performers do this fake stuff on stage. This is nothing new..sorry you got your feels hurt knowing your hero does it too. I just thought it was funny that someone got a picture of the backside of the amp props. 
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Dude is/was/still awesome.

I first saw him in a small club outside of Pittsburgh Pa circa '83,

I mean like 10 feet from him.

The bands name was "STEELER"...

Then he joined Alcatrazz,and saw them at the War Memorial in Oakland.PA near the Pitt Campus.

Then I saw his next band "Rising Force"...!

"Queen in Love" is still one of my favorites !

This was back when RATT,Dokken,Motley Crue and all the rest were touring.

Then I saw QUEENSRYCHE !!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So you are the big man for calling people names that repost a picture that someone else posted first in this thread. All performers do this fake stuff on stage. This is nothing new..sorry you got your feels hurt knowing your hero does it too. I just thought it was funny that someone got a picture of the backside of the amp props. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, it is funny. Yngwie is going to be the butt of many jokes. It's understandable.

There is a difference, though, between a wisecrack and a serious claim. If one is serious about trying to school everyone on how Yngwie's Marshall stacks are fake, one is going to look like a dipshit, because they aren't fake.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'll let you in on a little secret.  I know that's not Yngwie.  Red Label knows it's not Yngwie.  RL saw my smilly and moved on to the substance of my post.  Here's another little secret you don't run four heads into two cabs.  Redundancy is great but that level of redundancy is for show.  Notice how many of those cabs are miced up  i.e. what everyone gets to listen to through the house sound system...  One.  So anyone past row 30 gets to hear the output of one speaker run off one amp.  From a set-up standpoint balancing that many amps with vocals, drums, and bass would be a nightmare for a sound technician.  For these reasons I'm pretty sure 95% of the those cabs are for show and not for sound.  If I was the roady I'd insist they were empty shells to remove about 80 lbs of speakers per cab and 15-20 lbs per head.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Who gives a fuck about fake amps? It's showbiz.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Who gives a fuck about fake amps? It's showbiz.
View Quote
Yep, Yngwie has stated he's all about showmanship.  In interviews I've read about him he seems rather coy about the status of the amps on stage.  I buy tickets to see a show.  "Dance in your leather pants fat boy!"

(I didn't think my little jab would get so much traction.)
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'll let you in on a little secret.  I know that's not Yngwie.  Red Label knows it's not Yngwie.  RL saw my smilly and moved on to the substance of my post.  Here's another little secret you don't run four heads into two cabs.  Redundancy is great but that level of redundancy is for show.  Notice how many of those cabs are miced up  i.e. what everyone gets to listen to through the house sound system...  One.  So anyone past row 30 gets to hear the output of one speaker run off one amp.  From a set-up standpoint balancing that many amps with vocals, drums, and bass would be a nightmare for a sound technician.  For these reasons I'm pretty sure 95% of the those cabs are for show and not for sound.  If I was the roady I'd insist they were empty shells to remove about 80 lbs of speakers per cab and 15-20 lbs per head.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Absolutely spot on, with the exception of the last sentence. Roadies don't insist on such things; they unload whatever they're asked to unload from the trailer.

In the case of Yngwie's show, they unload a bunch of real Marshall stacks, regardless of whether said stacks are going to be making sound during the show or not. The fact that not all of the amps and cabs are passing audio does not make them fake, i.e. either a plywood facade dressed up to look like real backline, or genuine Marshall heads and cabs that have been gutted.

As to the who cares if they're real or not, well, a lot of people care, because this is where the conversation goes every time someone posts a picture of Yngwie's stage.

It isn't my doing. But I am compelled to respond when people start posting falsehoods. The rig the OP saw was in Dallas two days later, and I know I what I speak.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#21]
We're talking about a man who keeps tons of guitars in a pile in his home. He has vintage Fenders that people lust over scalloped for him. I wouldn't put it past him to want roadies loading and unloading the real thing night after night. If I could play like him, I'd do whatever I wanted too.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:29:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Ive seen Yngwie 6 or 7 times. Last time I saw him I went back stage with my BIL who was working security. His amps are all real, all plugged in and all on. That pic has been around fir a long time abd it isn't even Yngwie.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Also, ACDC and every other 80s band that's toured with a wall of Marshalls has used the same fake shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did a guitar clinic thing with Ric Emmet. He said all of his wall of Marshalls were real, but only one was being used.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I did a guitar clinic thing with Ric Emmet. He said all of his wall of Marshalls were real, but only one was being used.
View Quote
Very cool. Rik is a class act and it's too bad that Triumph wasn't bigger in the U.S. One of the all-time great power trios for sure.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ive seen Yngwie 6 or 7 times. Last time I saw him I went back stage with my BIL who was working security. His amps are all real, all plugged in and all on. That pic has been around fir a long time abd it isn't even Yngwie.
View Quote
Good to know. That's what I thought I'd read somewhere. They sure looked real to me, and I was as close as you could get without being on stage.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Actually, one driver out of the 4 in that one cabinet  -  and that's IF the mike isn't just for show ....
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Actually, one driver out of the 4 in that one cabinet  -  and that's IF the mike isn't just for show ....
View Quote
The guitar amp microphone is not for show. There are more reasons than one to mic a guitar amp. Someone might want guitar in his monitor. 
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The guitar amp microphone is not for show. There are more reasons than one to mic a guitar amp. Someone might want guitar in his monitor. 
View Quote
Everyone who is in a band and has run sound raise your hand ....

Guitar can be in the mains and in a monitor without ever going into an amplifier or speaker.  Do it all the time.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Guitar can be in the mains and in a monitor without ever going into an amplifier or speaker.  Do it all the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will run sound for at least 20 bands this week.

I'm honestly not sure of the point you're trying to make. Yngwie is not running his guitar direct, if that's what you're suggesting.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wait... WTF?

I've played stages since 1985. And I've run sound plenty as well. One wall of my man cave is a wall of PA gear, including my 24 channel board.

Some people here and elsewhere seem very unfamiliar with the man, the myth, the legend... who is Yngwie Malmsteen. I was obsessed with his playing throughout the last half of the 80s, and into the 90s. He doesn't do shit the way other artists do it. He's always been over-the-top and 100% YNGWIE. He doesn't plug into a Rockman and go direct to get his sound. He plugs a Strat into some FX and into live Marshalls. That's his schtick. He's not Def Leppard doing "Hysteria". He's not practical and he doesn't give a shit how other people do things. I stood at the barrier in front of him all night and I can assure you that I was getting a face full of his tone, straight out of the cabs. The wife and I were glad that we had brought plugs, and we brought enough to hand-out to others. I couldn't hear the bass and I could barely hear the vocals. But that's okay, because I didn't go to get a perfect, studio quality mix. I went to see him to get a face full of "Yngwie Fucking Malmsteen"!
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Wall Of Sound by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Wait... WTF?

I've played stages since 1985. And I've run sound plenty as well. One wall of my man cave is a wall of PA gear, including my 24 channel board.

Some people here and elsewhere seem very unfamiliar with the man, the myth, the legend... who is Yngwie Malmsteen. I was obsessed with his playing throughout the last half of the 80s, and into the 90s. He doesn't do shit the way other artists do it. He's always been over-the-top and 100% YNGWIE. He doesn't plug into a Rockman and go direct to get his sound. He plugs a Strat into some FX and into live Marshalls. That's his schtick. He's not Def Leppard doing "Hysteria". He's not practical and he doesn't give a shit how other people do things. I stood at the barrier in front of him all night and I can assure you that I was getting a face full of his tone, straight out of the cabs. The wife and I were glad that we had brought plugs, and we brought enough to hand-out to others. I couldn't hear the bass and I could barely hear the vocals. But that's okay, because I didn't go to get a perfect, studio quality mix. I went to see him to get a face full of "Yngwie Fucking Malmsteen"!
View Quote
There's something about Yngwie that makes people go full retard (not you, but other posters with their crazy suppositions).
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:42:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Do you even yjm100, bro?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 2:14:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm honestly not sure of the point you're trying to make. Yngwie is not running his guitar direct, if that's what you're suggesting.
View Quote
I'll take your word for it.  Just suggesting it is not only possible, but not uncommon, to run direct and fake the wall of amps.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:45:04 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote
Very cool. I've got an Yngwie strat and it would be nice to get the YJM100. Have wanted one for a while, but just has never come together yet. Pretty happy with my Friedman BE100 and Splawn Quickrod halfstacks at the moment.

Have also wanted a 1959RR for years as well. A white halfstack specifically. But then I'll have to have a white LP Custom too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't think Jerry and Yngwie would have gotten along too well musically....
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:33:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'll take your word for it.  Just suggesting it is not only possible, but not uncommon, to run direct and fake the wall of amps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All good, man. It's nothing I've seen with my own eyes, but I have reached out to a couple of guys who have done his shows and asked them.

Right there with you on the direct thing, I've also seen guys going direct by running tube heads into specialized DI boxes that provide a load for the amp and an XLR out. Pretty cool, especially if you want the sound of your tube head and just want to listen with IEMs 
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

All good, man. It's nothing I've seen with my own eyes, but I have reached out to a couple of guys who have done his shows and asked them.

Right there with you on the direct thing, I've also seen guys going direct by running tube heads into specialized DI boxes that provide a load for the amp and an XLR out. Pretty cool, especially if you want the sound of your tube head and just want to listen with IEMs 
View Quote
I'm working with a guy using a Line 6 Helix.  Modeling has gotten a lot better, and a lot more tunable.  You can even adjust bias, bias excursion, rectifier sag, etc. in the tube amp models.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup.  Probably a miked half stack back stage.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm working with a guy using a Line 6 Helix.  Modeling has gotten a lot better, and a lot more tunable.  You can even adjust bias, bias excursion, rectifier sag, etc. in the tube amp models.
View Quote
I've got one too. It's a great unit. The first modeler I've owned that made me question the need for my tube amps. I've had it for a year and haven't had a bit of buyer's remorse and still love playing through it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Helix is the first modeler that I've ever had that didn't have me hating it fairly quickly. No, it doesn't replace the Splawn and Friedman rigs, but it's pretty friggin awesome and it's not going anywhere.

Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yup.  Probably a miked half stack back stage.
View Quote
Holy shit... you're a bit late to this party. Cripes... people love to drive-by shit post about stuff they know nothing about here. I was standing right in front of his Marshalls.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top