Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2017 9:07:31 AM EDT
I'm not really looking for a "what brand/model is better" type thread, just which one is your "go-to" instrument.

For example, I love playing my Alvarez backpack guitar.  It just feels great, has good sound, and is more convenient to travel with.  I have a couple ukuleles, but I really want the Cordoba 20-TM-CE because it was amazing to play.  I tend to pick up the acoustic Kohala uke now, just because I like the feel better than our other. My Carlo Lomberti Sonata violin is a great little violin for the money.  It's sound and feel have been great, even in the smaller sizes that I bought for my kids. (With the same model strings, their violins sound almost exactly like mine except for the volume).  I bought McCallum bagpipes, and a Shepherd chanter, and can't tell a difference between it and other types (although having wood is better than plastic, and I wish I had a combo bag with gortex in leather instead of just gortex.)
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I feel like if I spent the money on instruments that I do on guns and ammo I'd be better qualified to answer this.

I like Gibson guitars and Fender basses. I've got a Gibson SG and a Fender P-Bass. I'm more into bass than guitar, but I'd like to add a drum kit to my arsenal one day.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#2]
That's ok.  I wasn't asking for expert opinions on "best," just what you like to play.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Right now: Martin D-18
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Guitars : any of the Reverend set-neck series guitars with a hardtail.  Got two Senseis (used to have a third) and a Manta Ray.  Fabulous guitars.

Basses : I only really do the 5-string now, so G&L L-2500.  I've had two, both are amazing, easy to play, and have a ton of sounds to be had.  I'm spoiled by these...
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I really like to play my 2013 traditional LP but I prefer the tonal properties of my American Deluxe Strat HSS.
My Taylor T5Z is my gigging rig because of the versatility it offers.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#6]
No matter what I play, I always go back to my 83 Strat. But I'be been playing my Taylor acoustic a lot too.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Acoustic: Breedlove Premier Auditorium (own)

Electric: K-Line Truxton, preferably with Charlie Christian single coils. (do not own but play a lot)
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Ibanez RG550 20th reissue. I own higher end guitars, but that one is my best feeling go to guitar.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 2:32:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I enjoy my LTD EC-1000 Deluxe the most out of the 4 guitars I own.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#10]
It depends on what I'm in the mood for. I've got 20 guitars and they all have something that sets each of them apart from the rest. Sometimes it's one of my cheap bolt on Jacksons or Ibanezes. Other times it might be one of my Les Pauls, neck thru Jacksons or my 7 string. Or the Charvel, or the 12 string, or......
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Not a guitar player by a long shot, but I love the way my Yamaha saxes play.
I have a YAS-82Z Custom Z alto and a YTS-62 tenor.
Depending on the type of music I'm playing, I'll change up my mouthpiece, ligature and reed setup.
Classical/concert band: alto: Selmer C* mouthpiece, Rico Concert Select #3 reeds, Bay ligature.
                                 tenor: Meyer 5M mouthpiece, Rico Concert Select #2.5 reeds, Rovner ligature.
Jazz: alto: Dukoff D7/Dukoff ligature, Vandoren ZZ #3 reeds or D'Addario Woodwinds Select Jazz Filed #3 reeds.
       tenor: Meyer 5M, D'Addario Woodwinds Select Jazz Filed #2.5 reeds, Rovner ligature.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I feel like if I spent the money on instruments that I do on guns and ammo I'd be better qualified to answer this.

I like Gibson guitars and Fender basses. I've got a Gibson SG and a Fender P-Bass. I'm more into bass than guitar, but I'd like to add a drum kit to my arsenal one day.
View Quote
Pretty cool that you play guitar SxPxDx.

My go-to guitar has been my 2000 Taylor 310CE.  It was my gift to myself after graduating.  The original pickup was replaced with a Fishman Stereo Blender and K&K Pure Western Mini bridge plate sensors.

This is a really old picture, but I still have both Taylors and the electric in the middle of them.
Attachment Attached File

About 3 years ago I picked up my first mahogany top guitar, a Taylor GS-mini.  It is a really fun guitar to play in DADGAD.

I can say this: I haven't spent on guitars like I did guns, but I learned how to spend on guns because of them
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:13:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Starfield altair necks, its an inanez company from the 90's. Weird body but great neck for me.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

That one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It depends on what I'm in the mood for. I've got 20 guitars and they all have something that sets each of them apart from the rest. Sometimes it's one of my cheap bolt on Jacksons or Ibanezes. Other times it might be one of my Les Pauls, neck thru Jacksons or my 7 string. Or the Charvel, or the 12 string, or......
View Quote
I am in the same boat.... except the 20 guitars part. Although I am getting there... unfortunately, guitars are harder to hide/disguise from the wife compared to a new pistol/upper/optic haha.

But, over the years I have found my favorites are the Japanese made ESPs, my Japanese made late 90s Jackson and some of the higher end Korean Schecters/ESP LTDs. I've also been really impressed with my MIM Charvels. They play great and feel great as well.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 5:56:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I am in the same boat.... except the 20 guitars part. Although I am getting there... unfortunately, guitars are harder to hide/disguise from the wife compared to a new pistol/upper/optic haha.

But, over the years I have found my favorites are the Japanese made ESPs, my Japanese made late 90s Jackson and some of the higher end Korean Schecters/ESP LTDs. I've also been really impressed with my MIM Charvels. They play great and feel great as well.
View Quote
I'm not sure if it's just because it's my oldest guitar, but my Jackson DR3 w/ EMGs is often my go-to as well.  I've got nicer stuff - Charvel custom shop, Mayones, and each have their pluses, but I grab the Jackson quite a bit more than I'd have expected since building up a collection of higher $ stuff (compared to the DR3).

My one "regret" guitar is a 7-string ESP with Floyd Rose that has been a constant pain to tune up, so it's about to get listed and gone so I can replace with something I'll actually use.  On the plus side, I picked it up new for less than Amazon's invoice from ESP (they left the original invoice in the box).
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm not sure if it's just because it's my oldest guitar, but my Jackson DR3 w/ EMGs is often my go-to as well.  I've got nicer stuff - Charvel custom shop, Mayones, and each have their pluses, but I grab the Jackson quite a bit more than I'd have expected since building up a collection of higher $ stuff (compared to the DR3).
View Quote
When was your Jackson made? If it was in the 90s and has a "J" as the first letter in the serial number then it was made in Japan. They're known for being very nice guitars for a very good price. I think I paid less than $500 for mine in the late 90s with a case. This was when Jackson and Charvel were still partners before Fender bought them out.

Here is my made in Japan Kelly Professional. The Jackson pups sound great and it plays so smooth. It was my go-to guitar in high school and throughout college. And, even though I a working now and have a few four figure guitars in the stable, this Jackson still holds its own.

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#18]
My three favorites.  These get played more than any other whistles or flutes that I own

From left to right, Burke Bb (brass), Burke Low F (aluminum), and my old school Copeland Brass D.

Link Posted: 8/5/2017 6:09:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

When was your Jackson made? If it was in the 90s and has a "J" as the first letter in the serial number then it was made in Japan. They're known for being very nice guitars for a very good price. I think I paid less than $500 for mine in the late 90s with a case. This was when Jackson and Charvel were still partners before Fender bought them out.

Here is my made in Japan Kelly Professional. The Jackson pups sound great and it plays so smooth. It was my go-to guitar in high school and throughout college. And, even though I a working now and have a few four figure guitars in the stable, this Jackson still holds its own.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/Talnz167/Misc/P9077638_zpsnnzwicgf.jpg
View Quote
I guess you have not kept up with the photobucket news.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:39:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Considering I only have two guitars, both are my favorites. Seagull S6+ Spruce and my Washburn HB-35 aka "Ruby".
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top