Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2017 6:45:52 AM EDT
I have been dabbling with learning guitar.  Been using a borrowed Squier telecaster from my Dad.  

I mess around with a friend's strat at work on our lunch hour.  So, naturally, instead of just going and buying a decent used Squier from GC, I decided to build one.

Attachment Attached File

Build list:

Guitarfetish: XGP body

Fender: screws, 6 short tuners, jack, jack insert, strap buttons, bridge from a recent MIM strat, pickguard and other hardware

Alllparts: neck plate, strat wiring kit.

Pickups: Generic. (Look, I know pickups and neck are arguably what defines the sound  the instrument makes.  However, let me learn to play something first, THEN decide what I want my sound to be. I need to learn to not mute the strings when switching between D, C, and G first.)

NECK:  Let's have a talk bout this.  Pickups are one thing.  Trying to learn on a crappy neck is not smart. I know this.  I prefer the radius of an SG to the telecaster.  I prefer the string spacing of an SG to the MIA strats. (Strings away from the edge of the fretboard.)  Recommend me a neck.  Yes, I can wait until 9/22 for the mighty mite MM2902 to come back in stock.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:50:07 AM EDT
[#1]
First, you will see that, yes, I DID buy an eBay chinese neck.  It looks nice, until you look down it and you can visually SEE the twist in it.  I am NOT using it.  I don't want to be penny wise but pound foolish.

Second, no, I am NOT putting a Fender decal on the headstock.  It will be blank.  (I know I have a bunch of Fender parts.  I do not have headstock envy.)

Third, I prefer a maple fretboard.

Fourth, Budget is >$170 for the neck.  I either buy an "expensive" neck, or I get a cheap 9.5" radius one, and see if I like it or not, then toss it in a year for a different radius if I don't like the 9.5".  Remember, I am building my first guitar, not my last.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:25:43 AM EDT
[#2]
pay extra and get an MIA neck, it'll have rolled frets and is very comfortable to play. maple has a brighter color to it than rosewood but either will suit you fine
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:12:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I don['t want to discourage DIY.  If this is partially being done to learn and enjoy carry on.  If you are just trying to get a decent playing guitar I'd buy a used MIM strat or tele.  Find one with a decent neck, swap in some Fender Custom Shop 69' Ybarra pickups and badaboom,  Good to go.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don['t want to discourage DIY.  If this is partially being done to learn and enjoy carry on.  If you are just trying to get a decent playing guitar I'd buy a used MIM strat or tele.  Find one with a decent neck, swap in some Fender Custom Shop 69' Ybarra pickups and badaboom,  Good to go.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm already $300 in to this.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:49:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not sure you'll save money but on the other hand you WILL know how to do your own setups and adjustments.  Good learning experience.  BTW, I have a Fender strat that came with the Texas Specials pickups.  I did not like it.  I installed the 69 custom shops and WOW.  Will keep it forever.  Can make an amazing difference.  I've no idea if it was just the right match to my guitar or just my ear likes them in any guitar.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not sure you'll save money but on the other hand you WILL know how to do your own setups and adjustments.  Good learning experience.  BTW, I have a Fender strat that came with the Texas Specials pickups.  I did not like it.  I installed the 69 custom shops and WOW.  Will keep it forever.  Can make an amazing difference.  I've no idea if it was just the right match to my guitar or just my ear likes them in any guitar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have all the feeler gauges to do a setup.  There is a learning curve, but I will enjoy the trip around it.  Thank you for the comments on the Tex Specials.  Seems there is a pretty even split between love/hate with nobody that "just "likes" them.  Not worried about my pickup selection right now, since those can be changed.  The neck, however,... I want to buy this part once.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Should have just bought a nice used MIM Fender Strat and have a good guitar. Local pawn shop has a sweet one like new for $275.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#8]
If you like the SG neck, your  kinda SOL, Fender style have different radius and scale length.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:14:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you like the SG neck, your  kinda SOL, Fender style have different radius and scale length.
View Quote
Not if I spec out a Warmoth custom.  But, then again, it wouldn't be too "discount" if I did that....
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not if I spec out a Warmoth custom.  But, then again, it wouldn't be too "discount" if I did that....
View Quote
That'll blow your budget.
I would check the Screamin' Deals until something popped up that fit the bill.
http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?deals=true&Body=1&Shape=1
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#11]
There are a couple 24.75" scale bolt necks at the top of that Warmoth link.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Warmoth always has basic strat necks for $157 or so in a few different nut widths and thicknesses.  And you can pick your frets and tuner hole size at that price.  All the ebay necks are usually in the more common combinations.  I have built and flipped several partscasters, Warmoth is a good place to start and you can always part it out and resell later for much of what you have into it. My advice is Warmoth for the neck, Rose for the pups, Fender (American) for bridge, electronics and tuners and ebay for an unfinished body.  Darren Riley or Angela.com for the Fender parts and chose the wood based on how you want to finish it more than how it "sound".  This will get you a decent quality instrument for under $500 with known quality parts.  Have a luthier cut your nut after the guitar is assembled!
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:53:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Hmm, you like the feel of a '60s profile SG neck, but want a Strat. The perfect happy medium would be a Charvel Pro Mod. I have a Charvel Dreamsicle, which was part of the Japanese produced Pro Mod line shortly before they ceased production. That thing has a very very nice playing neck on it. The profile is extremely comfortable, the fretboard is rounded on the edge much like a USA Strat, and the fretwork is impeccable. Since you already have a body, I would hold out for a Pro Mod neck. You'll have to Google up the neck pocket dimensions of the two to compare, but Fender owns Charvel, and they use the Fender headstock, so chances are they are the same. Oh, and make sure it's a 4 bolt. The newer Charvels that have been made in Mexico and Indonesia have a 3 bolt neck.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 1:37:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I went this route and built my own, just as you are, OP.  Premium components from quality vendors. I ended up with a guitar that sounds ok and is worth 1/3 of what I paid for it.  If I were to do it again, I would buy a used strat and make minor mods.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 7:50:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Gone_Shootin ; Remember, I have been at this for about 6 months.  Playing Rocksmith, doing the lessons on Justin guitar.com, PRACTICING, etc.  I only know 2 guitar necks; The telecaster and an SG.  So basically, I don't know WHAT I like.  Thank you for the recommendations on the Charvel neck.

Averagebear ; I concur that finding a used MIM strat would have been cheaper.  

Hopefully:
- this isn't a costly mistake.
- I gain some understanding of the construction and function of the guitar.
- It makes me stick with it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I just started going down this slippery path picked up a unfinished Tele neck (has Frets)
for $109

got the neck today real nice, I think I will buy a finished body though.
https://www.allparts.com/TRO-V-Profile-V-Replacement-Neck-for-Telecaster_p_4329.html
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can get a strat neck with your choice of nut width and a compound radius fingerboard with your choice of fretwire (6100) very cheaply from Warmoth and/or USACG. (not much more $ than a mitymite neck)

Buy unfinished - apply several coats of tung oil for a finish. They really stick it to you if you buy a finished neck. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top