Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2017 12:46:34 PM EDT
I am gathering parts to build my 1st strat.  I dislike the 2 3/16" string spacing, as I always pop the E or e string off of the fretboard.  I want string spacing of 2 1/16".

Which Fender bridge has the 2 3/16 screw spacing, but 2 1/16" STRING spacing?  I would also be open to a modern trem with the 2 point attachment, but also having the 2 1/16" string spacing...
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I have built a lot of custom strats - never had the problem you mention (I use Musicraft necks). I always use Callaham vintage type S bridges. I believe he makes a V/N bridge retrofitting a Mexican strat that has 2-7/32" mounting with 2-1/16 string spacing. PS he is a highpower shooter.
Callaham bridge info

ETA: a trick I use on my strats is to drill out the center 4 mount holes oversize so the bridge is actually pivoting on the outer 2 screws mostly. I do not whammy much, just shake chords sometimes. I set up with the springs cranked so the bridge sits on the body and the bar can only drop pitch. This way when I break a string the rest stay in tune. YMMV
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the second the Callaham bridge.  It is exceedingly well made and worth every penny.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#3]
So OP, what you using for paint? I've had great luck with the reranch aerosols. Got a MK blonde, a sonic blue, and a seafoam green that came out great. Stew-Mac is also making some Fendery colors in nitro, but I have no experience with it. Wish I had a pic of a Jazz bass I did for a guy using some very small Roth micro flake in clear shot over a Honda black that looks good in hand, but when a stage light hits it - WOW! Like a million little diamonds in there winking, real deep. That was a cat urethane finish, kind of a one off since my choice is always nitro. I've been wanting to do a strat in some big flake in nitro with a matching headstock and bound neck, in some wild cherry or green. I did finally graduate from cans to a spray rig.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So OP, what you using for paint? I've had great luck with the reranch aerosols. Got a MK blonde, a sonic blue, and a seafoam green that came out great. Stew-Mac is also making some Fendery colors in nitro, but I have no experience with it. Wish I had a pic of a Jazz bass I did for a guy using some very small Roth micro flake in clear shot over a Honda black that looks good in hand, but when a stage light hits it - WOW! Like a million little diamonds in there winking, real deep. That was a cat urethane finish, kind of a one off since my choice is always nitro. I've been wanting to do a strat in some big flake in nitro with a matching headstock and bound neck, in some wild cherry or green. I did finally graduate from cans to a spray rig.
View Quote
Reranch cans are the bomb.  I've done a few bodies with great results.  Follow the instructions on their forum to the letter.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been planning on buying a finished body. Either a used MIM or a guitarfetish XGP body.

I mess up drawing straight lines.  I would mess up painting a guitar.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:20:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I never thought about it until I clicked on this thread, but I have a Wilkinson two point trem that has 2 1/6" spacing.

VS100 I think? I bought it from the Carvin store in San Diego a few years ago. I put it on my frankenstrat that I assembled. The trem works like a champ.
Better than the rest of the guitar anyway (especially my choice in pickups).
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:31:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I came across a bride pulled from a recent MIM strat.  Has the spacing I want.  Price was right.  I will be posting another thread with my parts list....

/thread
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top