Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2017 9:08:59 PM EDT
I have kinda got away from the electric blues band scene and focusing on bluegrass and fiddle tunes these days. I have only been playing bluegrass a few months, since I bought a Martin D-18 last year. I just inherited a friend's Ovation from his wife when he passed away, a 1981 10th Anniversary model.  I kinda like it; it has a great neck, is in great shape, and I've always kinda wanted an Ovation in the collection for the hell of it. I will stick with the D-18 for bluegrass, but this thing actually is not bad at all.

Here is a quick recording of Red Haired Boy on the Ovation, rhythm and lead tracks. Prob had too much rum at the time, so forgive the clams. I finally got my (crowded into basement) home studio set up again and made a quick recording to test it. I used a Octave MK012 condenser thru an Avedis MA5 pre pointed at the 12th fret, and an AT 4047 condenser on the soundhole thru a Neve Portico pre. DAW is a RME FF 800, running Reaper on a Macbook Pro. No plugins or processing, just record and render...

Link to song on soundcloud: my soundcloud
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome story and playing!
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:24:00 AM EDT
[#4]
The AT mic on the Ovation sounded OK, but I broke out the D-18 and put a Fathead II ribbon mic about 12" away. Had to crank the gain on the pre because ribbon, but WHAT TONE! This is it as far as what I am looking for for flatpick guitar. I think it sounds great and will post a sample as soon as I can manage 4 verses without a fuck-up. I have a real nice Blackberry Blossom worked up, it rips pretty good, but getting the rhythm side right is proving tough. Or I'm picky and insecure about what y'all might think. I'll have it by Friday night.

My back-up (rhythm) sucks. I've been practicing single-note melodies so much for months, I can't lay a damn rhythm track worth a shit to save my life. A 4-verse ABAB fiddle tune and I am pushing and pulling like a crazy cat clock. I swear I wasted like 20 takes last night and my fingers are sore as hell today.
A part:
G-D-C-G-C-G-A-D
G-D-C-G-C-G-D-G:|
B part:
Em-B7-Em-C-G-D-G:|

I am in my late 50's and am terrified of arthritis 'cause my Mom had it bad. Nothing yet, just tendonitis, thank God.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:18:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Listened and liked  

get y'all a Cloud Lifter for that ribbon
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually the pres I use have plenty of gain for the ribbon. I still had lots of gain knob left on the Neve 511, and will also try the Fathead II with the Purple Biz pres next (I have an API lunchbox with 6 pres: 2 Biz, 2 API 512, Avedis MA5, and the Neve Portico).

The Cloudlifter looks like a cool device to have around, though, I'll keep it in mind. Would come in handy if I schlep the ribbon to a club where it goes straight into a PA.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like pretty good picking, to me.    

Way better than I'll ever be.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:16:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, here is Blackberry Blossom take 1 - warts and all!

Blackberry Blossom
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top