Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2017 11:18:56 AM EDT
My daughter has been playing Bass since the end of 3rd Grade.  She is now a Freshman in High School.  It is time to upgrade from her Craig's List bass.

She prefers her Upright Bass to the sparkly pink 4-string.  Jazz band director wants her to play more on the electric.  Now daddy needs to fork out a few bucks to get her something nice.  She has a nice AMPEG amplifier and a Fendor Rumble.

She likes the Ibanez SR 650 - but I think that has more to do with the look of the bass then anything else.

I was looking for something in the $300 - $600 range.

I don't know crap about guitars and/or music.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]
You know what might be fun?  Send an e-mail to Carole Kaye, and ask for her opinion.  She is probably the most recorded bass player, ever. Not sure what kind of response you would get, but it might be worth a try.  She gives private lessons, too.

Would be a cool story for your daughter.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Where in PA are you?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Shecter Omen 4.  nice sound, I love mine.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Ibanez ATK. They're Ibanez's take on the Ernie Ball Stingray, and seem to be well received. Look for a good used ATK300. They generally go for the $200-300 range and have most of the features of the higher priced versions.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 4:47:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Fender standard Jazz or Precision bass. You can find used ones in good to great condition for $350 to $450 all day long.  If you want new, the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz or Classic Vibe Precision are good as well. I admit, I am a Fender guy (must be the big head stock)

If she prefers the double bass, you might want to look into getting her a fretless bass.  I have a Squier Vintage Modified fretless and it's wonderful, especially because it ran me only about $300.  The Ibanez SR400 or SR500 are good as well, I just never "meshed" with the ones I played.

Don't forget about getting a decent case for the bass either.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where in PA are you?
View Quote
I'm in Bucks County near Washington's Crossing.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You know what might be fun?  Send an e-mail to Carole Kaye, and ask for her opinion.  She is probably the most recorded bass player, ever. Not sure what kind of response you would get, but it might be worth a try.  She gives private lessons, too.

Would be a cool story for your daughter.  
View Quote
I just sent her some videos from Carole Kaye.  She's awesome.  The video with Gene Simmons is even cooler than the one with Brian Wilson!

My kid is friends with Matt Parish's kids.  She doesn't want me to get her a session with him.

http://www.matthewparrish.org/#prettyphoto/21/
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for a good used Fender J-Bass
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top