Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2017 7:15:19 PM EDT
I'm hoping some of you more knowledgable musicians can help me figure out a noise problem I'm having.   I've recently started taking my playing more seriously so I've upgraded a lot of my gear.   Nothing amazing, but better than the cheaper practice amps I have been using.  

Currently I have:
Bugera G5 Infinium amp head
Laney IRT Studio amp head
Laney 2x12 speaker cab
Ibanez 1x12 speaker cab
2x monster instrument cables and a couple misc. cables.

The problem I am having is that there is a loud buzzing sound coming through the speakers when I try to play.  I've tried switching cabs and heads.  I've used 3 different guitars and 4 different cables.   I've tried switching rooms.  I can't isolate the issue.  The only thing I didn't switch out is the speaker cable because I can't find my spare.  It's a fairly new dedicated planet waves speaker cable.   It's really only bad on the gain channels.  I notice it with both single coil and humbuckers.   Some pickup positions are worse than others though.   I hear the noise when I play, and it is very loud.  I have noticed that when I touch the metal part of the cable near the input on the guitar it greatly reduces the noise.  It's still there, but I could probably live with it.  I also have a battery powered Roland Micro Cube amp.  I really couldn't notice much noise through that.  When I cranked it there was some really loud feedback when I stood right next to it, but not the buzz.  

I'm sure I could figure it out if I could isolate it to something.  So far I haven't been able to do that.  I'm really hoping it just isn't an environmental issue because I'm not sure what I can do about that.   All of the reading I have done online involves isolating the problem first.  Since I can't do that I'm kind of at a loss.  

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Does the hum go away when you turn the volume on your guitar completely off (zero)?  If so, then it is most certainly an EMI (environmental) problem.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Fluorescent lights nearby? They make my Fender Blues DeVille buzz.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#3]
You have a ground issue on your guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLQ3erwB3Lw
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Single coils + gain channel + any electrical interference...lights ....60 cycle AC...bad ground to your house...cheap cables...leaking transformer on the pole outside is going to give you noise. The gain channel alone on the amp is going to give off a certain amount of noise..It is just the nature of the beast. If you turn your guitar volume control off does the noise diminish or stay the same. If you unplug the cable from the guitar to the amp does it go away. Just follow the process down the line. Your noise may just be the normal noise you get running the high gain channel on the amps.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:30:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Does the hum go away when you turn the volume on your guitar completely off (zero)?  If so, then it is most certainly an EMI (environmental) problem.
View Quote

Yes, the noise goes away when I adjust the volume.  Turning the knobs makes a lot of extra noise too.   Would touching the cable be enough to disrupt whatever EMI problem is?  I thought I would probably still hear it from an environmental source.  

Quoted:
Fluorescent lights nearby? They make my Fender Blues DeVille buzz.
View Quote

No fluorescent lights nearby. Only halogen, LED, and incandescent.  There are some small fluorescent bulbs in my kitchen across the house.

Quoted:
You have a ground issue on your guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLQ3erwB3Lw
View Quote

This is what I thought at first as well.  I know it's possible, but it seems unlikely that I would have a ground problem on every guitar I own.  

Quoted:
Single coils + gain channel + any electrical interference...lights ....60 cycle AC...bad ground to your house...cheap cables...leaking transformer on the pole outside is going to give you noise. The gain channel alone on the amp is going to give off a certain amount of noise..It is just the nature of the beast. If you turn your guitar volume control off does the noise diminish or stay the same. If you unplug the cable from the guitar to the amp does it go away. Just follow the process down the line. Your noise may just be the normal noise you get running the high gain channel on the amps.
View Quote

It happens with hum buckers as well.   I've also tried every cable that I have, same problem.  It's definitely not normal amp hum.   It's a loud buzz that is very noticeable even when I play.  The sound does lower and go away when I turn the volume down.  When I unplug the guitar the buzz stops and I hear the normal amp hum.  I did hear it one time when I unplugged the cable and dropped it on a carpet floor.  I haven't been able to get it to do it again though.  It is definitely not normal noise though.  

I'm guessing it is something to do with my house power.  I just don't fully understand why the buzz stops when I touch the cable.  Am I acting as a better ground because there is a problem with the outlet ground?
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#6]
The fact that you don't hear it in your battery powered amp tells me that it's caused by the power coming into the other amps. There is an outside chance that it's the speaker cable that you mentioned, but kinda doubt it. I'd go ahead and buy another, though, because and extra will come in handy down the road when you buy another speaker cab, and trust me, you will. It wasn't long ago just had a crappy practice combo and one half stack. Now I have 5 half stacks and a 2x12.

But anyway, back to the power issue. Try different outlets in the house if you haven't already (I can't remember if you mentioned it or not). I have a similar problem. If I plug into the outlet in the basement where most of my amps currently are, they hum and buzz like crazy and give you a little shock through the guitar (yes, I'm planning on rewiring that outlet, just haven't gotten to it). But if I plug into the 2 prong outlets upstairs, they hum very little, and barely hum at all when plugged into the 3 prong outlets in the newer part of the house. And that's even with the amps in the basement, plugged into my 50' cord which is plugged into a 3 prong upstairs.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#7]
You'd be surprised at how common ground issues are in guitars.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'd be surprised at how common ground issues are in guitars.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply..  I've read that they are common.  Especially, with some grounds only being anchored by being stuck under something like the bridge plate.  I know they pop loose quite a bit.  Shouldn't I be able to hear a ground problem on the guitar through the battery amp though?  I thought I remembered reading that's how some builders check their connections before closing it up.  They connect to a small battery amp and listen for noise.  

I will try moving around the house and see if I can find a spot where it stops.  I did try it in one other room, and it did the same thing.  I can also try using a three -> two prong adapter and see if it changes.   I was worried I could blow my amp with that though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#9]
You know that little tab on the adaptor that has the eyelet in it? That's so you can take the screw out of the outlet cover plate, thread the screw through the eyelet, and re install the screw with the adaptor attached. If your house was up to code before the 3 prong outlets came out, that screw should serve as the third prong/ground.

That said, I use them all the time without messing with the screw and even have a couple power strips with the third prong broken off.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You know that little tab on the adaptor that has the eyelet in it? That's so you can take the screw out of the outlet cover plate, thread the screw through the eyelet, and re install the screw with the adaptor attached. If your house was up to code before the 3 prong outlets came out, that screw should serve as the third prong/ground.

That said, I use them all the time without messing with the screw and even have a couple power strips with the third prong broken off.
View Quote

Thanks, yes I remember the ground tab.  I was thinking of trying to isolate the ground and see if it made a difference.  Thought I would try it since I seem to be able to ground it myself when I touch the cable.

I will give it a try and see... Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Thanks for the reply.  I completely forgot about trying one of those.   I have one on my workbench.  I will give it a try.  I'm pretty sure it's an EMI issue.  I added onto my house a few years ago and that part has a lot of dimmer switches and stuff like that.  

I'm waiting on a heavy duty power conditioner/ EMI filter that I am borrowing to see if that works.   I will test the plug in the meantime though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 6:21:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Completely at a loss...   All of my outlets check out ok.   I tried a Pyle PS900 power conditioning unit with EMI filters built in.   Didn't work...  Tried another EMI/RFI filter, didn't work.   The only thing I haven't tried is a noise gate, but I don't think that is made for what I am dealing with.  I was told the Pyle would handle any interference issues my house had because it is used for much larger places.

I've called guitar/amp techs, and I can't even find anyone that's heard of a situation like mine.   Noise is a common problem, but nobody has heard of a noise problem that is impossible to get rid of.  

I've tried other guitars, solid state amps, and the same loud buzz comes through all of them.  It is so loud that I can hear the buzz on the other side of my house.  

I don't know of any more options, might have to give it up.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Amps and guitars can still pick up RF even when running a power conditioner. And it sounds like you either have something giving off RF, or your power is so bad that the power conditioner can't filter all the bad stuff out. The latter is the problem I have in my basement, that outlet is so jacked up that my Monster 3500 can't filter out all the junk power.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 1:44:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Amps and guitars can still pick up RF even when running a power conditioner. And it sounds like you either have something giving off RF, or your power is so bad that the power conditioner can't filter all the bad stuff out. The latter is the problem I have in my basement, that outlet is so jacked up that my Monster 3500 can't filter out all the junk power.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply, I ran the rig through a pretty heavy RF filter too.  Unfortunately, it didn't work.    If I had a room in my house where it would work I would be thrilled.   However, the problem happens at every single outlet that I have.  

My real question is how do bands do it at so many different venues?   I would figure they would have a lot more problems.   I can't get rid of the noise in a house that was built in 1999 with just a few dimmer switches.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Completely at a loss...   All of my outlets check out ok.   I tried a Pyle PS900 power conditioning unit with EMI filters built in.   Didn't work...  Tried another EMI/RFI filter, didn't work.   The only thing I haven't tried is a noise gate, but I don't think that is made for what I am dealing with.  I was told the Pyle would handle any interference issues my house had because it is used for much larger places.

I've called guitar/amp techs, and I can't even find anyone that's heard of a situation like mine.   Noise is a common problem, but nobody has heard of a noise problem that is impossible to get rid of.  

I've tried other guitars, solid state amps, and the same loud buzz comes through all of them.  It is so loud that I can hear the buzz on the other side of my house.  

I don't know of any more options, might have to give it up.
View Quote

Did you try lifting the ground at all of the outlets?  Use an adapter that takes a three prong down to a two prong, and plug your stuff in.  Did the noise go away?  If so, then you are dealing with EMI.  You don't want to run your gear with a lifted ground all the time, so buy a Hum-X by EBTech

If lifting the ground with the adapter didn't work, make sure you go buy quality cables and try it again.  A friend was recently experiencing noise, and replacing the cable fixed it.

Here's a video that explains the hum-x:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je09zrb2Igc
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#17]

This. Check power wiring for lifted ground or loose neutral somewhere. One of these should be in every gigging musician's bag for checking club/bar/hall power and finding a "good" outlet.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This. Check power wiring for lifted ground or loose neutral somewhere. One of these should be in every gigging musician's bag for checking club/bar/hall power and finding a "good" outlet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've done this..  All of the outlets check out fine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Did you try lifting the ground at all of the outlets?  Use an adapter that takes a three prong down to a two prong, and plug your stuff in.  Did the noise go away?  If so, then you are dealing with EMI.  You don't want to run your gear with a lifted ground all the time, so buy a Hum-X by EBTech

If lifting the ground with the adapter didn't work, make sure you go buy quality cables and try it again.  A friend was recently experiencing noise, and replacing the cable fixed it.

Here's a video that explains the hum-x:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je09zrb2Igc
View Quote

I tried the adapter.  Made no difference at all.   I've used numerous different cables and guitars.  Same sound happens with every combination that I've tried.   Monster, GLS, Planet Waves, a few generic cables..  All the same result.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I tried the adapter.  Made no difference at all.   I've used numerous different cables and guitars.  Same sound happens with every combination that I've tried.   Monster, GLS, Planet Waves, a few generic cables..  All the same result.
View Quote

Didn't work?  Puzzling.

I went back and reread the entire thread again.  I am starting to suspect you need your amps serviced.  If turning the knobs makes a noise then you have dirty pots.  If you have dirty pots, then you may have dirty connections too.  That could explain why touching the cable makes the noise change.  You are pushing it sideways enough to make a better connection.

Have your local shop open your amps up for a clean and inspect.  A little cleaner sprayed in the pots and the jacks could fix it up.  (Have them look at the guitar pots too)

ETA:  Might have loose solder connections too.  It would be a weird coincidence that both amps got corrosion at the same time, unless they were both in the same humid environment, or if you are one of those guys with corrosive sweat (You would know because you would be going through strings fast).  It would also be a weird coincidence if you had broken solder connections or blown speakers on both sets, unless you are hard on your gear (or have kids/guests that are hard on them).  In either case, it's possible that it's the same issue; and a luthier could tell you pretty easily.

The best way to know if it's environment is to take it all somewhere else and see if it still has problems, and have someone bring known-good gear to your place and see if they have the same issue.

Edit again to add: I also took a closer look at the specs for your gear.  I am wondering if you are using mismatched gear.  Overdriving your speakers with amp heads that are too powerful would cause sound issues.  (Probably not overdriving based on the gear specs). Did you buy all that gear new or used?  You mentioned cheap practice amps.  Do you have problems when you go back to the cheap amps?
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Looking at the specs on the Bugera.  Is there any difference when you select a different wattage on the power attenuator?  When you plug in headphones, is there still the same noise?

Same question with the Laney head.  Is the noise the same at 15W and <1W?  Is it set for 8ohm speaker? Is the noise present in headphones?

If these problems started after you put in new wiring, I would turn off the breakers to that wiring and see if you still have buzz.  If you don't, then you've isolated the problem.  If you can get it down to one room, you can isolate that wiring when you want to play.  (Might be as simple as keeping the lights off in that room when you play).
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Didn't work?  Puzzling.

I went back and reread the entire thread again.  I am starting to suspect you need your amps serviced.  If turning the knobs makes a noise then you have dirty pots.  If you have dirty pots, then you may have dirty connections too.  That could explain why touching the cable makes the noise change.  You are pushing it sideways enough to make a better connection.

Have your local shop open your amps up for a clean and inspect.  A little cleaner sprayed in the pots and the jacks could fix it up.  (Have them look at the guitar pots too)

ETA:  Might have loose solder connections too.  It would be a weird coincidence that both amps got corrosion at the same time, unless they were both in the same humid environment, or if you are one of those guys with corrosive sweat (You would know because you would be going through strings fast).  It would also be a weird coincidence if you had broken solder connections or blown speakers on both sets, unless you are hard on your gear (or have kids/guests that are hard on them).  In either case, it's possible that it's the same issue; and a luthier could tell you pretty easily.

The best way to know if it's environment is to take it all somewhere else and see if it still has problems, and have someone bring known-good gear to your place and see if they have the same issue.

Edit again to add: I also took a closer look at the specs for your gear.  I am wondering if you are using mismatched gear.  Overdriving your speakers with amp heads that are too powerful would cause sound issues.  (Probably not overdriving based on the gear specs). Did you buy all that gear new or used?  You mentioned cheap practice amps.  Do you have problems when you go back to the cheap amps?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't work?  Puzzling.

I am not complete ruling out bad equipment, but I was told by the techs I spoke with that having issues with 4 guitars, 2 amp heads, 2 speaker cabs, and 1 combo amp at the same time would be like hitting the lottery.   They told me that it was possible, but to save it for last.  The Bugera is brand new, and the Laney IRT is about as close to new as possible.  I've had it for awhile but haven't had the opportunity to play it much.   I would hope they didn't need servicing.. lol.     One of the guitars is brand new as well and another one I tried has never been played before.  I've had it sitting around here for awhile.  

I don't think the gear is mismatched.  The ohms and power ratings all match up.  I also tried a combo amp that I have, and it made the noise as well.   All of the gear I am using now was bought new except for my strat.  It is an early 90's Japanese Fender.  It did not make any noise for my luthier when it was set up for me.  

The only amp that didn't give me the noise was a battery powered micro cube.  I don't know if this is true, but I've read that if the issue was with the guitar or cable I should be able to hear that through the battery amp.   I need to try a couple of the other guitars with it though.  

I am making plans to take some stuff to another house to try.  

Thanks for the replies
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Looking at the specs on the Bugera.  Is there any difference when you select a different wattage on the power attenuator?  When you plug in headphones, is there still the same noise?

Same question with the Laney head.  Is the noise the same at 15W and <1W?  Is it set for 8ohm speaker? Is the noise present in headphones?

If these problems started after you put in new wiring, I would turn off the breakers to that wiring and see if you still have buzz.  If you don't, then you've isolated the problem.  If you can get it down to one room, you can isolate that wiring when you want to play.  (Might be as simple as keeping the lights off in that room when you play).
View Quote

I don't remember if I tried the other power settings or not.  I will give that a try later tonight and see if there is any difference.  I will try the headphones as well.  

Just a few minutes ago I tried plugging the solid state combo amp I have into my car.   I realize that isn't the best power source, but I was curious.   It made the same noise.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Decimator Pro Rack G

Anyone heard of noise or interference picked up directly by the guitar?   If this is my problem I'm not sure anything I've tried would fix it.   Everything has been plugged in between the amp and power outlet.  

It's not something I have heard anything about.  I was told a noise gate really wouldn't work, like the Boss NS-2,  because it is really designed for loop noise.   I would also probably have to set the threshold too high which would affect the sound.  

The ISP is really pricey though...   I would hate to just buy it guessing.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Decimator Pro Rack G

Anyone heard of noise or interference picked up directly by the guitar?   If this is my problem I'm not sure anything I've tried would fix it.   Everything has been plugged in between the amp and power outlet.  

It's not something I have heard anything about.  I was told a noise gate really wouldn't work, like the Boss NS-2,  because it is really designed for loop noise.   I would also probably have to set the threshold too high which would affect the sound.  

The ISP is really pricey though...   I would hate to just buy it guessing.
View Quote

That is the same noise.  The pickups of the guitar are just electromagnets.  They sense any change in the magnetic field, which induces a current.  That current is then sent down the cable and converted at the speaker (with some steps in between).  The 60hz electricity that we use in our houses produces a 60hz electromagnetic field.  It is around every wire that has electricity running through it.  That field passes through the guitar and is sensed by the pickups, which is what causes hum.  Several things have been done to address this.  Inside the compartment that houses the pickups, there is a thin metal lining (either metal tape or metal paint).  This acts like a partial faraday cage to attenuate the outside (environmental) EMF radiation; which shields your pickups from the signal.  Obviously the front can't be shielded, so there is still a little area to receive interference.  That is where the humbucker comes in.  It has two coils that sense the EMF field, and has filters that gate the signal.  One side allows the positive EMF field and the other allows the negative, and on the other side they cancel each other out.  In order for this to work, the parts have to be grounded.  The mono-jacks that are used for guitars have a "hot" wire and a "ground" wire.  The ground wire is the outside wire, so when you touch it you are changing the ground path.

You need to rule out each piece of equipment.   I would start by taking your guitars to a guitar shop and asking to play them on an amp.  Take your cables too.  If you have noise problems at the shop, try buying a new cable right there.  If you still have noise problems, leave your guitars to be serviced.

If the guitars work fine, and the cables work fine; next step is the amp head.  Play through the headphones and see if there is noise.  If there is, try using the ungrounded two-prong adapter.  Still noise? Take the amp to another house and see if the problem is present.  Start from scratch with regular plug in and headphones.  Then try lifting ground again with adapter.  (Don't ground the adapter with that little screw tab.  The purpose if the experiment is to see if lifting the ground fixes it, so grounding it with the tab is defeating the test.)  If you still have noise after all this, then you need the amp serviced.

If any of those steps fixed the hum, now try your speakers.  Make sure all your setting are correct and try playing. (Remember that you would have fixed the problem by now through the troubleshooting, or not found the problem.)  If you still have noise, get an ohm meter and check the resistance on your speakers.  Are they still at 8 ohms?  If they are, check the integrity of the sound cones.  If they look like they are solid and haven't torn, take them to another location and give them a try.  If the hum is present at another location, and you have ruled out all other sources, see if the guitar shop techs can help isolate the source.

If touching the cables makes it go away, then cables are my first suspect.  Loose connections or poor shielding can cause lots of problems like this.  Think of those aux cables like really long antennas.  Any EMF signal being generated in the area is going to pass over that cable and induce a current.  Without good shielding for the ground, the EMF signal will pass right through and generate a hum that gets sent to your gear.  You can take those cables anywhere, change any settings, isolate any parts, and that cable is still going to hum.

On the other side of the equation, your amps are getting plugged into the outlet.  This is a separate but related source for EMF interference, which is why lifting the ground can help isolate it.  If lifting the ground works, then something like that hum-x mentioned before will help.  It allows your gear to be grounded, and uses filters similar to the humbucker to filter out that noise.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I had a Telecaster on the bench that had horrid noise problems.
I tried ir on several amps with different cables and different power sources some isolated and some ungrounded...still there..
After looking inside and comparing the wiring to a schematic from Fender it was obvious that someone, and perhaps several people had been into the guts of it.
SO... Start at square one and rewire the whole thing.
Still had a 60 cy hum but was reduced and when I touched the ground side of the cable it went away..
I tried some ferrite beads with little to no improvement.
It ended up with me adding a piece of enameled wire to ground the bridge so when you were touching the strings your body was grounded to the ground side of the cable.
The root of the problem was never resolved but the owner was satisfied with the work around.
It might help in your case.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Those flourescent lights in your kitchen.  Are they new?  Do they have electronic ballasts?
If they have electronic ballasts they'll put a buzz on radios everywhere in your house.  I
would think they'd do the same to your guitar amps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top