Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2017 12:40:31 AM EDT
Does any of you use these humbuckers?

I'm interested in them, and have listened to a ton of youtube vids but am wondering how you found them tonally?

From what I am hear on the vids, I prefer that tone over the '59s, Slash, or Saturday Night Special Models. However, I worry that the sound on youtube might not be quite right.

There are none in my local area I can find to hear live, hence why I'm asking. Looking to upgrade a Epiphone Les Paul Standard stock pickups.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to have Pearly Gates in bridge on my Gibson SG along with Alnico II Pro in neck. They were great sounding pups.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Pearly Gates neck that I've had in several guitars. It's always had a nice sparkly clean tone and gives up a nice bluesy tone with distortion, and can get raunchy with the right amp settings.

One of these days I want to get a bridge model to go with it. They're supposed to give you that no e raunchy Texas Blues tone (think ZZ Top). Which makes sense, because these are the pickups that go into the Gibson Billy Gibbons Pearly Gates Les Paul. The pickups are copies of the PAFs that are in his Les Paul that he named Pearly Gates years ago, because he describes the guitar's tone as what it must sound like standing at the Pearly Gates with St. Peter.

And in regards to how it compares to the '59 and the Alnico II Pro, the '59 is more scooped and sparkly, whereas the Alnico II Pro has a stronger upper mid spike, and is known for some nice raunchy bluesy tones. The A2P has been the heart of Slash's tone since the AFD days.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:23:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got one in the bridge of my old PRS Custom.  It replaced a Duncan AP-II that was in there previously (it didn't take long to develop a dislike for the stock HFS/VB combo that came in the guitar...).  Neck pickup is an AP-II.  

I like the Pearly Gates very much.  IMHO it's a good rock pickup without getting the honk like a JB or the cocked wah of a DiMarzio Tone Zone.  It's a well balanced pickup with some high end cut.  The AP-II was darker by comparison.  With the AP-II I struggled to get any twang off the wound strings (partly the guitar's fault).  With the PG, I at least get a bit of twang on the low notes.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:39:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got one in the bridge of my old PRS Custom.  It replaced a Duncan AP-II that was in there previously (it didn't take long to develop a dislike for the stock HFS/VB combo that came in the guitar...).  Neck pickup is an AP-II.  

I like the Pearly Gates very much.  IMHO it's a good rock pickup without getting the honk like a JB or the cocked wah of a DiMarzio Tone Zone.  It's a well balanced pickup with some high end cut.  The AP-II was darker by comparison.  With the AP-II I struggled to get any twang off the wound strings (partly the guitar's fault).  With the PG, I at least get a bit of twang on the low notes.
View Quote

Honky is the last word I would use to describe a JB. Muddy, crunchy yes, but not honky. Then again, I've never had one in Mahogany.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I never owned them but know guys that do and they sound great.

Just bought an ES 335 with Burstbucker 1&2s and I gotta say I like them better than the Classic 57s that have been the mainstay in my Les Paul's.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I put the Hotrodded Humbucker set on my PRS SE. I love how they sound!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top