Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2017 11:51:48 PM EDT
classical violin players too...
Any tips for a beginner?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not know if it is true but I have been told that if you haven't picked up the violin before you get out of training pants
you never will.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do not know if it is true but I have been told that if you haven't picked up the violin before you get out of training pants
you never will.
View Quote

I had heard this too, and it's absolutely not true!  We started my daughter on violin lessons when she was 4 years old.  She had a little 1/16 size violin that I had to help her with.  I had never played it before, and I thought, "It's not that hard! What were they talking about?!"

So my wife bought me a full size violin the next year and started taking lessons too.  There is definitely a LOT going on with a violin, and a good teacher will go a long way to helping you straighten it all out.  The secret is in the bowing.  Holding the violin and getting your fingers in the right spot is fairly simple compared to the pressure changes that develop as you bow (it's all about speed and pressure being applied in the right spots).

I bought the Carlo Lamberti Sonata from Shar music.  It's reasonably priced and has GREAT sound.  They sent me a Meinel bow and a cheap case to complete the kit.  My violin teacher put different colored tapes on the fingerboard to show me where my fingers should go.  Daily practice is the key, as it is with any instrument.  My teacher uses the Suzuki violin method with her own music selections added in to increase the songs available.  

Some things to think about before you buy:
Violin:  Consider that Carlo Lamberti from Shar.  There is a definite difference in violin sound based on how it is produced, and this one is great!  We bought Franz Hoffman 1/16 and 1/12, then got to upgrade to Carlo Lamberti at 1/8 and 1/4 (because we were so impressed with the full size Carlo Lamberti that I had).  Having a violin that is well made, with real purfling, and good varnish finish, is important for your happiness with playing. http://www.sharmusic.com/Instruments/Violin/Intermediate-500--2K/Carlo-Lamberti-174-Sonata-Violin.axd#sthash.pxNCVPwl.dpbs

Strings: We started the kids on Shar Overture strings on the little violins.  Those little instruments are little tinny boxes so all the strings kind of sound the same.  My violin came with Thomastik Infeld Vision strings.  They sound good and stay in tune VERY well.  When we bought the 1/4 violin we got Vision strings for it.  We had been using Overture's on the 1/8, so I bought a set of Visions for it too, just to do a sound comparison.  It was noticeable.  The Vision strings had a pronounced improvement on tone, even in that little violin.  Most professional players seem to use the Thomastik Infeld Dominant.  This is all very subjective, so the more players you talk to (and hear) the better off you will be.  I have been watching a LOT of luthier videos on youtube lately, and found one video that played with one set of strings, then changed to his brand and you could hear the difference.  Very nice! http://www.sharmusic.com/Strings/Violin-Strings/

Daniel Strings selection  You'll notice if you watch his videos that bridge placement and sound post placement, combined with string type, will dramatically change the sound.  He gets different sound from changing rosin too, and of course he likes his brand.  

Daniel demonstrates changing violin setup for sound

Bow: Mine came with a Meinel bow.  When you get good, after playing for a few years, you will want a light weight bow that is responsive to the pressures you apply.  For now, I think it's a great starter bow.  I'm not putting a link here because Shar will put it all together for you when you order the violin setup.

Rosin:  Almost everyone uses a light rosin for their bow.  I want to look into that gold rosin that Daniel sells, just because I heard the difference.  For starting though, the cheap light Shar rosin is fine.  It will last you a long time, whatever you get.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.
Good to know I'm not the only one trying this later in life.
I have an older french violin. It's down at a luthier now being brought back to life. I'll likely source most of the other accesories locally too.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks.
Good to know I'm not the only one trying this later in life.
I have an older french violin. It's down at a luthier now being brought back to life. I'll likely source most of the other accesories locally too.
View Quote

Yep, there's another 4 or 5 adult students that go to my teacher. You're not alone!

Have you talked to your luthier about string choices?

Something I didn't mention before: get something to humidify your violin, and leave it in the case when not playing it.  I humidify an entire room because we have guitars, violins, piano, ukulele, and bagpipes that need attention.  Proper humidity control is important to tone AND to prevent cracking/damage.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:29:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I did ask them to put a set of decent strings on it. Not top shelf but not cheap.

Humidity control will be difficult but but not impossible(army barracks).
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I did ask them to put a set of decent strings on it. Not top shelf but not cheap.

Humidity control will be difficult but but not impossible(army barracks).
View Quote

http://www.sharmusic.com/Accessories/Humidifiers/Stretto-174-Humidifier-for-Violin-or-Viola.axd#sthash.YzKOHCI2.dpbs

Something like this, with the case closed, should get you by.  I have tried the humidi guard type that you will see on this site.  Don't bother.  They are a daily chore to keep moist, and don't seem to work very well.  I have tried them for violin and guitar, and am not impressed.

If you are in an open bay, I bet the guys would chip in for a large humidifier (just to help cover the sound of snoring).  If you are in single to three man rooms, there are many options on humidifiers (although in Texas you probably won't need them for most of the year!)  Keep your instruments in the cases during the day, humidify at night when you can keep your locker open.

(I'm Navy, and spent most of my active duty time on subs; so I get that you can't control your environment most of the time.  There are some things you can do, and case humidity is the first step.  ESPECIALLY if you have an older instrument!)
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#7]
When you get to the point where you feel comfortable, look around for a local orchestra that’s geared to beginners and people who played 40 years ago and are getting back into it.
In my area – the Space Coast near Cocoa Beach – we have the Melbourne Community Orchestra.  You don’t have to be very good at all to play with them.  Musicians range from excellent to pretty damn bad, but everyone enjoys playing.  They give several concerts every year.  Your area probably has something similar.
You’ll learn a lot and make new friends.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top