Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2017 2:21:00 PM EDT
Just finished a “jazz meets the symphony” concert series with a 17 piece jazz band smack in the middle of a 40 piece orchestra.
One of the pieces we played, written and arranged by one of our jazz trombonists, was called “Singing a Song of His Own”, a tribute to Jerry Garcia.
The composer, who was never a Deadhead and not really a fan of Garcia, wrote the piece with a very specific point in mind.  It starts out with some happy, up-tempo numbers – Help on the Way, Eyes of the World, etc.  As the piece progresses, the songs get slower and more serious, sliding into “Black Muddy River”.  As the songs slow and become more serious, one by one, whole sections of the band and orchestra finish their parts and the musicians quietly leave the stage until there’s only a string quartet left.  They softly fade, drawing a musical picture of Garcia’s unnecessary and meaningless death.
This is a very powerful piece.  The impact on the audience was impressive.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#1]
That sounds very cool, I would love to see that.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:09:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Black Muddy River?  That's the song he picked as a tribute?  Why not something like Ripple, or Stella, or or hell, even Attics?

Hell, even Morning Dew would be better.

And don't get me wrong, I loved Jerry, but he died because he couldn't stay away form the blow and the chili dogs and took horrible care of himself.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:10:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That sounds very cool, I would love to see that.
View Quote

Me too.

I saw Jerry with the Dead as well as with his own band. Don't care for the followers much but as a musician, he was incredible.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:23:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Black Muddy River?  That's the song he picked as a tribute?  Why not something like Ripple, or Stella, or or hell, even Attics?

And don't get me wrong, I loved Jerry, but he died because he couldn't stay away form the blow and the chili dogs and took horrible care of himself.
View Quote

Probably because Black Muddy River was the last song Jerry sang with the Dead.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:32:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems like a perfectly appropriate choice to me.....lyrically alone as well as for the reason above.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Larkinmusic and M4 have it right.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#7]
one day years ago early in the morning I drove by my local ticketmaster outlet....people were lined up.
I asked what are you waiting for?
Grateful Dead Man was the reply.
not really a fan I did my errands for the day and checked back later, a few tickets were still available, behind the stage cheap so I bought.
this was the MSG, NYC like a 12 night gig.
as soon as I sat down in my seat some guy next to me gave me a beer and some other thingy.
Turns out it was Jerry's last gig in NY
I think, anyho
glad I saw them!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top