Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2016 2:50:08 PM EDT
I was looking at the thread for What to Know Before Buying a Guitar, and it got me looking at my own guitars and testing them. (Two relatively cheap acoustics, a Washburn D10CEQSB and Alvarez MSD1)

I had already sanded the bridges down a little to lower the action a few years back.  I checked the neck and adjusted the nut for just a little bit of relief (using the strings as a gauge since I don't have an actual string gauge).  I kind of want to lower the string action a little more towards the body, but don't have a lot of room left with the frets out on the neck.  I was wondering what string heights you guys play with.

I tested all the notes on each string and only have vibrations on one fret on the Alvarez (the high and low E both vibrate on the fret between 11 and 12).  This makes me think that I have loose ends that need to be redone.  Everything else plays and sounds great.

ETA:  I followed this website:  http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_String_Action_and_Setup/Dont_be_nervous_about_adjusting_that_truss_rod.html
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 3:05:11 PM EDT
[#1]
You've done a lot more than I've ever done to my acoustics and I've been playing for like 25 years.  With my acoustics, I just make sure there is not too much bow that it makes it dumb to play.  You want just a tiny bit of a bow.  But not much.  At least that's how I like it.  One test you can do to make sure you have enough is with one hand hold down the 1st and 7th fret and then check the frets inbetween to make sure there is a bit of room between the fret and the string.  Even if it is minute.  Over time they can shift one way or the other and it's good to check.  If it gets too low, you'll notice fret buzzing.  Like maybe your neck is too straight if you're getting some buzzing.  But sanding down the bridge might have caused this too.  Just sayin......

Only time I ever checked the height was when I set up my Tele and I just set it to what Fender recommended.  Or close to it. (You might know that tests but it's about all I have to add, technically speaking)  But really, it's up to a person how they like it.  Some may like it a bit lower or higher.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#2]
String height is to a point an individual thing. I have got guitars that had a "Professional" setup that had
an unacceptable high action for me. My Martin right now needs to have the neck reset because the saddle has no more life to give up.

Some would still find it a great player but I don't play it anymore because the action is too high for me and the joy is gone. Anything at or over 5/32 at the

twelfth fret is high to me..YMMV... Relief with a capo on the first fret and the low E string fretted at the 17th, measured at the 7th fret should be around .013..but this too is a personal thing.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#3]
If your strings are getting too close after shaving the bridge, you can either shim the nut or install a taller one.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If your strings are getting too close after shaving the bridge, you can either shim the nut or install a taller one.
View Quote

I shaved the bridge down a few years ago.  Just never checked or set the relief...ever.  I have had them since 04 or 05, I think.  The only place that is close are those E strings between 11 and 12.  Everything else rings true.  They play much better now that I have adjusted the relief, just was curious what string height you guys use to see if I should try shaving the bridge a but more.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 2:19:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I shaved the bridge down a few years ago.  Just never checked or set the relief...ever.  I have had them since 04 or 05, I think.  The only place that is close are those E strings between 11 and 12.  Everything else rings true.  They play much better now that I have adjusted the relief, just was curious what string height you guys use to see if I should try shaving the bridge a but more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm. If it's happening that far down the neck I would guess that maybe you have high frets, or your neck doesn't have enough relief, or could maybe be trying to bow backwards.

When you look down your neck length way, is it flat, or is it bowing one way or the other?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Hmm. If it's happening that far down the neck I would guess that maybe you have high frets, or your neck doesn't have enough relief, or could maybe be trying to bow backwards.

When you look down your neck length way, is it flat, or is it bowing one way or the other?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I adjusted the neck, I ended up with a slight up bow for relief.  I did this to both guitars and got rid of some of the buzzing that I had been having at random chords along the fret board.  When I play each string on each fret, that one fret on the Alvarez is the only one that has contact, so I am guessing that the single fret has ends bowing up slightly and that it needs replaced.  I can live with that for now (may just file the ends down to stop the buzz for now).
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
When I adjusted the neck, I ended up with a slight up bow for relief.  I did this to both guitars and got rid of some of the buzzing that I had been having at random chords along the fret board.  When I play each string on each fret, that one fret on the Alvarez is the only one that has contact, so I am guessing that the single fret has ends bowing up slightly and that it needs replaced.  I can live with that for now (may just file the ends down to stop the buzz for now).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or the offending fret may just be a little high and just needs tapped back in. It happens.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Or the offending fret may just be a little high and just needs tapped back in. It happens.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good thought. I'll try it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I usually always take my acoustics to get set up for me when I get one. I've never had much luck tweaking them for some reason.  I had a Gibson SJ150 years ago that had two frets that were way off.  My luthier couldn't believe it left the factory like it did.  My most recent acoustic is a J45, but it also needed some work.  The saddle was way too high for me and made it really spongy to play.  I just got it back actually and it plays great now.  

Oddly enough.. The nicest playing guitar right out of the box for me was a factory 2nd solid top Ovation that I got for around 200 bucks.  It had a really nice low action right from the start.  

Anyway, the possibility of a fret being off is definitely something to look at.  Also, a string can rattle if it isn't seated well in the bridge under the pin.   Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I usually always take my acoustics to get set up for me when I get one. I've never had much luck tweaking them for some reason.  I had a Gibson SJ150 years ago that had two frets that were way off.  My luthier couldn't believe it left the factory like it did.  My most recent acoustic is a J45, but it also needed some work.  The saddle was way too high for me and made it really spongy to play.  I just got it back actually and it plays great now.  

Oddly enough.. The nicest playing guitar right out of the box for me was a factory 2nd solid top Ovation that I got for around 200 bucks.  It had a really nice low action right from the start.  

Anyway, the possibility of a fret being off is definitely something to look at.  Also, a string can rattle if it isn't seated well in the bridge under the pin.   Good luck.
View Quote

Last year I took my Alvarez into the luthier because it had some vibration.  He looked at it and showed me a few places it was cracked.  He said that he could glue it back together and it would be fine.  I said, "Can you set it up for me too? I have heard that they play better when they are setup and it's never been looked at for that."  He said, "What do you mean?"

That was my first lesson in all the variations in how to set up a guitar.  More than just fixing frets; what strings you play, the string height, and the bow of the neck all combine with the bridge and nut setup for an overall "setup."  This was why I have been looking at how you guys setup your guitars, what string heights you play, and general advice.  

Thanks to all for the replies so far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top