Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2016 11:38:27 PM EDT
with amateur skill?
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 12:54:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never built a guitar amp.  I am a graduate of a tech school as an electronics tech and have done builds of various stuff in the distant past.  I am also a guitar junkie and own several blackface amps.  So take my opinion with a grain of salt.  

IMO this shouldn't be too hard using a kit.  Assuming you know how to read resistor values and place all the components in the right directions etc.  Those old amps didn't have that much to them.  

Mojotone sells kits and it says 4 hour build time.  

http://www.mojotone.com/kits/TweedAmpKits_x/Test-Tweed-Champ-Amp-Kit
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 3:48:15 AM EDT
[#2]
from a kit of course,
looking at this kit
http://www.boothillamps.com/5F1_Kits.php
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have a good soldering iron?   Can you solder?

If you have a good iron and at least some skill, you can build a 5F1 if you are patient and spend the proper time with layout and prepwork.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Like mentioned, if you can solder and follow directions, no problem. I've built 3 or 4 tube "Champ" style amps in the last couple of years, mostly from salvaged parts!
Antique Electronics Supply has everything you need.

ETA - My 5F1 "modified" build thread here.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 4:44:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Do it!!
addicting!!

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#6]
A 5F1 is as simple as it can get.  If you have the most basic understanding of electronics you can build one successfully.  I built my 5F2 Princeton using terminal strips:

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Like others have said, the 5F1 circuit is pretty simple. If you're going to go the kit route, I'd look at www.triodeelectronics.com. They have a reputation for being slow to ship, but their kits come with Classic Tone transformers, which is a brand I've become a fan of.

If you just want to gather parts and wing it, get on Google and search for "guitar amp schematics", "guitar amp layout" and "guitar amp BOM" (BOM being the acronym for Bill of Materials). Then you can get creative and use damn near anything metal for a chassis. Heck, some peoe use cake pans, ammo boxes, or whatever for simple builds. Then Google up Classic Tone, Heyboer, and Mercury Magnetics for your iron (transformers/choke). They are the three main brands that builders go for, and they all have good reputations for making good sounding and durable stuff. Classic Tone and Mercury both have well laid out sites that will guide you to what you need. Heyboer is more of a custom, one at a time kind of shop, so you will have to call them to talk about what you need, but they do make a good product.

As far as tubes go, I've ordered from The Tube Store and Doug's Tubes. Both are good outfits and have slightly different selections. And the Tube Store's descriptions and reviews are spot on.

As far as the caps, resistors, boards, sockets and whatnot goes, Amplified Parts is my usual go-to. They have a good selection and good prices. They also have blank & pre-drilled turret boards along with one's that have turrets installed. But if you get a blank one, you can print off the layout (make sure it's to scale) and just tape it to the board. That way you can install the turrets, caps, ect, the way they originally were.

This video briefly goes into a little detail about putting together a turret board. It's pretty straightforward. And yes, it's a different amp, but the construction principles are the same. Also, Tube Depot, from everything I've read, has some nice kits, but they are higher priced. Anyway, here's the link for the vid: https://youtu.be/cEV1gluwcUM

ETA: But if you want to get your feet wet without the potential to shock the shit out of yourself, and build something simple, I'd start off with a pedal kit or two.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 1:26:00 AM EDT
[#8]
If you're going to build a 5F1, I'd just go ahead and build a 5E3.  I've built a Tweed Deluxe (5E3) and a Plexi, and the Tweed rocks!  The 5E3 isn't any more complicated than the 5F1, it's just more of the same.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:38:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're going to build a 5F1, I'd just go ahead and build a 5E3.  I've built a Tweed Deluxe (5E3) and a Plexi, and the Tweed rocks!  The 5E3 isn't any more complicated than the 5F1, it's just more of the same.

View Quote

Good point
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top