Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2016 4:53:48 AM EDT
I just picked up a soprano ukelele. Any other Ike players out there?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple ukuleles.  Bought them for the kids and taught myself to play.  I've turned into a big fan of them.  The chords are easy and the fret board is similar to the guitar. For example, CAGED works on the guitar, and CAGE works on the uke. Don't try to learn guitar and uke at the same time though!  

Put some good strings on it, if you haven't already.  Even a cheap laminate uke sounds good with a quality string. We use Aquila on the Kohala and D'Addario on the Epiphone.

Here's one of my favorite websites that got me started on the Uke: http://ukuleleunderground.com/

If you have an Android smartphone, check out the Smart Chord app.  It's a REALLY great resource for stringed instruments.

When you are ready, look for a concert uke.  I am saving up for this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Cordoba/20TM-CE-Tenor-Cutaway-Electric-Ukulele.gc  A friend bought one and let me play it.  So far it is the sweetest uke I have tried.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:28:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry to say but sopranos are mainly junk. Tenors are the standard, maybe a concert size for smaller hands. An acceptable model of either can be found for under $200. I had judged all ukuleles by the sound of a typical soprano until I picked up a tenor and was shocked how nice it sounded. Only been playing for a few years but I love the instrument.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top