Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2016 4:17:46 AM EDT
I'm buying a beautiful Heritage Prospect in almondburst finish this week it's a floating semi hollow body guitar with Duncan Seth Lover pickups. What would be a good reasonable priced amp for this combination? Seymour Duncan's website said nothing over 50 watts or super high gain.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 2:11:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, Seth Lovers aren't wax potted, so they do feedback more easily, and since you're getting them in a semi-hollow body, that just exacerbates the situation. But, you could do high gain, just as long as the volume is fairly low. It's just a matter of managing contributing factors. A good noise gate would help too.

And as far as amps go, there are gobs of amps out there to choose from. So the first questions should be, what kinds of music do you play, are there any bands/artists that you would like to sound like, and do you prefer tube amps, solid state, modeling, or don't care/are open to whatever?
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#2]
A fender Tweed style amp like a 5E3 (not necessarily Fender made) is pretty hard to go wrong with when paired with a 335 style instrument.
Perhaps a Princeton Reverb type.

If you have any decent guitar shops nearby, take your new Prospect along and see what if anything they have in stock plays well with it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Pics of guitar are not loading....
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I wanna get that clean 60's soul sound. I think the Princeton was really popular with those guys. I'll get pictures up as soon as it gets here. A new music shop opened up here with lots of small vintage amps i'll have to checkout.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 11:43:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, a Tweed would probably be the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I love hollow bodies.  Never owned one, but played a borrowed one for a while.  I've always wanted to get one but was always too busy playing tele's.  I tended to stay away from them because they DID feedback at gigs and I stuck with solid body guitars.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love hollow bodies.  Never owned one, but played a borrowed one for a while.  I've always wanted to get one but was always too busy playing tele's.  I tended to stay away from them because they DID feedback at gigs and I stuck with solid body guitars.
View Quote

Stuffing a hollow body full of foam negates alot of the feedback problems.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I was watching a documentary on Memphis music and saw the dude from North Mississippi Allstars playing it thought it sounded awesome. I love the matching pick guard on a hollowbody also so I found a good deal on its match. I'll take pics when it's here hopefully this week but it shipped out today.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably work to cut up strips of pool noodle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably work to cut up strips of pool noodle.
View Quote

I'd use a lighter open celled foam. I don't think that the closed cell foam that a pool noodle is made of would work too well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 3:42:53 AM EDT
[#11]
If your not playing high gain,  stuffing the body with foam likely won't be necessary.
I've had a few Gretsch guitars and a few other arch top hollow bodies.. even through 100 watt Marshall amps no feedback issues until the gain gets cranked.

Play it and see if you have trouble before stuffing your used undies in there.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, if you don't play with distortion too much it's probably not a big deal.  And sometimes it works for you if you want to do a sweet solo with a note trailing off into feedback.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top