BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2016 12:51:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:06:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Normal suggested retail price of $899.00 .If you realize dollar's value,

BID IT NOW Today!

Good Luck
eta: not a flute expert but this looks better.
$250.00
https://reverb.com/item/2731385-yamaha-yfl-200ad-student-flute-outfit-rental-inventory-closeout-2010-s-nickel-silver?_aid=pla&pla=1&gclid=CKmiltiz2c4CFcZbhgod5cYIVQ
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:43:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Check the local pawn shops for the ones bought by last year's parents.  We got a halfway decent flute for the step critter that way.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:54:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Instrument rentals are a rip off.  Used FTW.

These guys ship -  http://www.musicgoround.com/Locations
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm in the same boat with a sax.  I found I can buy the same used model the school sponsored store wants to rent for the same price as a 1 school year rental.  Buy for $500 used, or rent for the year for about the same.  I can continue to rent to own and pay $1500 total or buy theirs outright for $1200.  It's a $500 sax on the used market all day long and is actually out of production so can't be bought new.  The rental is a scam.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Check the local pawn shops for the ones bought by last year's parents.  We got a halfway decent flute for the step critter that way.
View Quote

This, I buy them cheap and sell them cheap

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Craigslist, there's gobs of brass and woodwinds on there, and they're cheap.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:43:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

This isn't a bad idea either. A few Christmases ago I picked up a Selmer clarinet for my Mom that is solid Rosewood for a hundred bucks. It was going to $400 and up on eBay at the time.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:16:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Buy used.  Renting is for suckers.  Renting instruments might even be worse than rent to own TV and furniture, and this is coming from a guy who manages a music shop!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Buy used.  Renting is for suckers.  Renting instruments might even be worse than rent to own TV and furniture, and this is coming from a guy who manages a music shop!
View Quote

Does your music shop rent out instruments?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What's the best way to do this?  The school has limited availability, with first priority going to those that are on fee waivers and vouchers.  They will have local companies in next week for rentals.  
View Quote

So you have to pay for other people's kids, plus your own?  What a country!
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
ou

I disagree!

For starters the rental covers any issues with the instrument. Maintenance, etc. are all included in the rental fees. Second, if the kid decides the instrument is no longer needed. Nothing lost. Return it and you owe nothing.
For the rental fee, there IS a discount if paid in full.

Some examples:

$1K flute: Rental
12 months (make sure they practice over the summer!) @30/month = $360.00 ($60 or $5/month will go towards the maintenance fee of the instrument). By the end of 12 months you still owe $700.00 on the flute. If the kid decides to keep playing you can pay it in full and should get a 30% discount (or $210.00) so the payment should be $490.00.

All musical instruments should be checked out at least twice a year. In particular if you play them on a regular basis. The $5.00 of the rental covers that fee. (ETA: I know I  repeated the same thing over and over again. There is a reason. Say a pad goes bad/needs to be replaced on the flute -or an adjustment is needed-. Bought it on eBay?Good luck. Bought it used at the local pawn-shop and it is a quality instrument? Back of the line you go...

Why should you NOT buy on eBay. Most of what you will find (low $), WILL NOT be covered for repairs/adjustments. etc. Any reputable Music Shop will not touch "Chinese Junk*" with a 50' pole.

Why should you NOT buy used: If you don't know how to diagnose possible developing issues with the instrument or issues that might not be apparent to you. It will cost you $$ to get it fixed.

IMHO: Peace of mind, less stress and you might be out a few extra bucks. RENT, until your kid figures out if they like the instrument or not.

*Some flutes are made in China, under reputable brands.They are good quality flutes. Like anything, counterfeits abound.  I personally like the Yamaha, which is made in Japan.

ETA2:

In lingo you can understand.

$4K= Pro level flute, with high silver content= LaRue,LWRC, LMT,  AR
$$= Reputable shops that sell (or rent) good quality instruments for students=Colt, Spike's, etc.
$= Some decent stuff that you can find, if you do your homework= Anderson
cheap shit =eBay, Amazon, etc (what you posted in those links)=polymer lower -DIY casting at that-

ETA3: The above is not taking into account the used market. I would skip this.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#12]
As Draco said, don't but anything made in China.  They often have German-sounding names, but they're still unplayable crap.
Used Artley or Yamaha student flutes are your best bet.  If your daughter quits playing, you can always get your money (most of it, anyway) back when the next school year starts.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#13]
ARFCOM has taught me that if it flies, floats, or fucks that it's better to rent.

No reason for flutes not the be on the list.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:17:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
ARFCOM has taught me that if it flies, floats, or fucks that it's better to rent.

No reason for flutes not the be on the list.
View Quote

I like how you think...
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top