Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2016 1:59:38 PM EDT
I have been looking for smaller and nicer looking cabinet than my ugly Marshall 1960a 4x12. A recent birthday brought me a little cash.

This popped up on Craigslist at the perfect time. The owner had custom ordered a birch closed back Sourmash 1936 model. It's done up in Black Taurus Tolex with black cloth, black piping, and black corner protectors to match Mesa Boogie cosmetics. Inside are Celestion G12k-85 speakers. It looks like home use only.

All for $200, and it was 5 minutes from my house. I couldn't buy an MDF unloaded cab for that.

Obligatory bad cell phone pic:

ETA: just switched the amp to 90W mode instead of the 10W I usually use for home playing. The bottom end is tight and fierce at half volume, which is all I could stand before the tiny room made it too painful and feedback-prone.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:50:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats!

I've been pondering a 2x12, myself, but other projects have taken priority.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I was expecting a 2x12 to be underwhelming. This is a touch oversize compared with many of the compact cabinets. I don't know if it's the air space, bigger magnets on the speakers, or slightly different speaker voicing, but it flaps my bell bottoms better than the 1960a with G12T-75s. The EQ settings definitely will need tweaking from what worked on an open 1x12 to get some pleasant mids back without being harsh.

Hitting the opening slide and 2 chords from Still of the Night made me giddy. The opening riff from Operation Mindcrime brought my wife yelling about hearing damage and my kids stomping on the volume pedal.

They'll be out of town for a couple days, so I'll have free reign to annoy the neighbors. The next step will be finishing out my pedalboard and relegating my pair of Boss GT8s to backup & bedroom use. SWMBO gave me a Cab Clone for a birthday present, though, so that will be the main headphone toy when it arrives from backorder.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:49:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was expecting a 2x12 to be underwhelming. This is a touch oversize compared with many of the compact cabinets. I don't know if it's the air space, bigger magnets on the speakers, or slightly different speaker voicing, but it flaps my bell bottoms better than the 1960a with G12T-75s. The EQ settings definitely will need tweaking from what worked on an open 1x12 to get some pleasant mids back without being harsh.

Hitting the opening slide and 2 chords from Still of the Night made me giddy. The opening riff from Operation Mindcrime brought my wife yelling about hearing damage and my kids stomping on the volume pedal.

They'll be out of town for a couple days, so I'll have free reign to annoy the neighbors. The next step will be finishing out my pedalboard and relegating my pair of Boss GT8s to backup & bedroom use. SWMBO gave me a Cab Clone for a birthday present, though, so that will be the main headphone toy when it arrives from backorder.
View Quote

Nice cab!  I've been shopping for 2x12s lately, for some speaker-pairing tweaking and such.  I'd forgotten about Sourmash!  I've got to find what it costs to ship their cabs, because they're very fairly priced, even new!    

The K-85 is a much more full range speaker than the T-75.  The T-75 has some "fizz" on the upper end that the K shouldn't have, and should be a bit less pronounced on the bottom.  The Ks can seem "boomy" in really large cabs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top