Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2016 12:55:50 PM EDT
Our Sanctuary isn't overly large.  It seats probably about 200.  We have somewhere between 70-100 people in there typically.  Let me see if I can get a figure in my head as to how big......  About.......  Maybe 40 x 70 feet?  Approx.  OR maybe 50 x 100.  Something like that.  The ceiling is peaked but it's not overly tall.  The walls are basic height and it peaks from there.  Not an old Catholic church type.  

So anyways......  I agreed to play bass at church  and I'm using borrowed equipment right now.  LOL.  I only have my acoustic guitar from back when I played in garage bands after high school.  And I have a cheapy "Starcaster" that my Mom picked up at a rummage sale about 10 years ago.  Which my daughter is actually learning guitar on.  So I'm in the market for a Bass and amp.  

I'm just trying to determine how big or small I need to be.  The guy leading the worship thinks we need an 18"er 100 watts and I'm thinking it's overkill.  But I don't have a lot of experience with smaller than that.  When I played in bands, back in the day, that was kind of standard.  Or I remember one guy I knew had a mesa boogie head with this 4-10" cabinet.  The speakers were like metal.  Pretty wild.  And then there was the big "Kustom" I think it was, stacks, with 2 18"ers.  But whatever.  I'm looking at the smaller stuff.  I see Ampeg has an 8"  20 watt, and a 10" 40 watt I think it is.  I'm wondering if either one of them will work.  Or if you all think that you really do need an 18"er.  

Keep in mind.  Right now I'm playing through a Crate 40 watt 12" guitar amp and I'm getting feedback from people in the congregation that is sounds great.  But obviously I'm not kicking out much low end, hit you in the chest.  LOL.  It doesn't sound horrible but it would be really nice to add some warmth to it.  

I'm also trying to get set up on the cheap.  The guy borrowing the stuff to me is part of the congregation, but I don't think he wants to be rid of his stuff permanently.  The bass isn't bad,  It's a Fender Jazz.  He got the set up for a good deal.  It's a decent bass, so I'll probably be bummed to see it go and have to try and find a replacement for a reasonable price.  I'm trying to sell gun stuff to fund it, because we don't have a lot of extra money.  

So what do you all think?  Any church players out there?  Or people playing out in clubs with anything smaller than a big ole 18" combo?  Or have played?  Will it work?  Or is it a pipe dream?  I would think an 8" or 10" bass speaker would sound better than a 12" guitar speaker, but I really don't know.  I gotta get out there an play through some.  But thought it would be good to ask.  Sometimes how it sounds at the store might be a lot different than in my sanctuary.  

And prayers for health and skillful playing to be a blessing to the congregation are welcomed.  

Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I run FOH for a 350 to 500 seat church and I run the bass in the mains, I like the bass players to keep their stage volume down and send me a direct feed out of their amps.

for mains I have a set up QSC 18" 1200 watt subs that I run in stereo

not knowing what your PA is and how they run it makes it hard for me to say what I would recommend
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#2]
We did have it mic'd.  But our system is pretty dinky compared to yours.  There are two speakers on the back walls, left and right, behind the walls behind some grates.    Not sure how big, I just learned about that the other day.  And then they have 1 speaker on either side about half way down the sanctuary.  Not very big.   I think about 10"ers....  They did have two smaller speakers on the left and right of the stage, acting as monitors, but they always created feedback, so they don't use them right now.  

When I played at my last church, they did the exact opposite of you.  But it was a bigger sanctuary.  A bit bigger footprint and about twice the height.  There I played through an 18"er and it was never in the system.  For some reason that's how they wanted it.  I hear where you're coming from though.   It wasn't my amp or bass back then either.  LOL.  I play guitar and drums, and since everybody is either one or the other, very few people claim to be bass players.  So I just play where I'm needed.  LOL.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#3]
A 100 watt bass amp is not over kill for any venue. If you can for your situation a smaller 100 watt bass amp with an XLR out to run through the
sound system would be ideal. Our church seats over 500 and we have a 100 watt Hartke tilt back with a single 12 inch speaker that does a great job.

I have a Fender 150 watt amp with a single 15 and a horn and would consider it own its own as being a coffee house amp at best. It takes a lot of watts to drive

low frequencies.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Seriously?  I'm at about a 3 on the guitar amp when I play now.  It's 40 watts.  And its plenty loud.   We don't have a ton of things going on.  Just 1 acoustic guitar, a piano and two - three singers. And a drummer who plays a cajone with a pedal hooked up to it, with a snare, floor tom, hi hat and 1 cymbal for a crash / ride.   Besides the bass.  We're not rocking out overly hard.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 12:06:59 AM EDT
[#5]
pawn shop crawl..  a I see all kinds of small (100~200 watt) bass amps. Fender, PV, Crate, you name it..

Link Posted: 7/16/2016 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
pawn shop crawl..  a I see all kinds of small (100~200 watt) bass amps. Fender, PV, Crate, you name it..

View Quote

How much do you usually see them for?
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Look for an Ampeg 100 watt 1 15 combo amp on eBay.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 2:21:48 AM EDT
[#8]
OP - you buying, or will it be church property?

If the church owns it, and IF nothing changes, 80 watts with 1 12 inch speaker.  Bare minimum.  You might get by with a Fender Rumble 80.

If you are going to own it, search out a used 10 - 150 watt amp, preferably with a 15 and a horn,  Things like Peavey TNT, TK0 - every brand makes something like that.

I bought mine for $120 used,
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 2:05:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Orang AD200B + Mesa Boogie Standard Powerhouse 8x10. Everyone will hear you then. Or, you could look into the Carvin MB series. I think the MB210 would work very well in your situation.  https://carvinaudio.com/collections/mb-series-bass-combos/products/mb210

It's a 250w 2x10 combo and you can add an extension cab if you feel the need for more speakers. I don't think the Ampeg 20w 1x8 will get you where you want to be. If you want to keep it less expensive , look used (Ampeg, Ibanez, Genz-Benz). Stay away from Behringer.

If you've got a decent PA system to run in to,  you might not need much more than a Tech 21 Bass Driver DI and your bass.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, money is tight.  I wish I had money for a head and a 2x10 cabinet.  (Yeah, I'm buying it)   I was looking somewhere last night online and saw some tube amps that looked like relatively good deals.  I forget who now.   I think I saw someone had like an 80 watt 12"er.  

My head is spinning.  I think used would be the way to go too.  I don't think going into the system with just a preamp would be a good idea.  It's not a very big system and the speakers are small.  

You guys think there is a bIig difference between tube and solid state for bass?  I know I don't really want a digital amp. Are the Fender Rumbles a digital amp?  I saw one called a Fender "Bronco" last night, but the features made it sound like it was a digital amp.  The few times I played guitar through a digital amp, I was like YUUUUUUCK.   It almost felt like there was a delay and it just loses something.  IMHO.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife plays an Ampeg B15n clone at our church that sounds similar in size to yours.  The B15n is 40W from tubes into an 18" speaker.  The key with tubes is they don't sound harsh when overdriven .  Unfortunately, if money is tight tubes will likely be out of your budget.  If you go solid state you want more wattage to avoid overdriving the amp.  This is why most folks are recommending the 100W options.  10 inch speakers typically have less volume per watt input than an 18" speaker.  So if you plan to run 10s for a tighter tone you'll maybe want a few more watts.  The beauty of the bass is since you typically don't use amp distortion as part of the tone so you can simply turn the amp down if it is too loud.

So my recommendation is a 100-200 watt Peavey (or similar brand) with two 10s or one 18" speaker.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Is "clone" the name of the ampeg head or is it a clone of an ampeg head?  LOL.   I've been out of music and gear for so long, I have no clue what's all going on out there.  I did play mostly peavy amps when I played in bands.  Last one I had was the classic 50 tube with 2 - 12"ers.  Guitar.   Actually I had another one that was new for the time and had more of a metal sound.  It was combo and black.  

Anyways.....   I just saw a pic of this Gal I used to play in bands with, and she is still rocking out making original music in a band.  And her bass player had an Ampeg amp.  LOL.  I need to go play one.  I really don't want to lug around a freaking 18"er.  It would mostly stay there.  I guess I could get a practice amp down the road for home.  I usually just practice without one at night when everyone is sleeping and it's quiet.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Solid state is way more popular than tube for bass anymore. Especially when you can get a 500w amp that's less than five pounds and a out as big as a Nintendo Wii.  I think that Fender Bronco is a modeling amp. Modeling amps are like a lot of things, the more they cost the better they are (I'm not a big fan at any price).  Any reason the band leader thinks you need an 18"? I've played through a few, meh. I still prefer 10s or a three way 12 cab.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:43:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

depending on condition and brand.. $130 up

I found a made in USA crate BX 80 for $120. plenty enough thump for jammin and small giglets
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:04:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Seriously?  I'm at about a 3 on the guitar amp when I play now.  It's 40 watts.  And its plenty loud.   We don't have a ton of things going on.  Just 1 acoustic guitar, a piano and two - three singers. And a drummer who plays a cajone with a pedal hooked up to it, with a snare, floor tom, hi hat and 1 cymbal for a crash / ride.   Besides the bass.  We're not rocking out overly hard.
View Quote

100 watts on a bass amp is a very different thing from 100 watts on a guitar amp. Bass speakers are huge and have to displace a lot of air in order to be heard. At band practices my 100 watt amp has barely kept up with the drums.

Another thing to consider is if the house speakers will actually be capable of reproducing bass tones with the rest of the music coming through. If your house speaker stacks don't have woofers or subwoofers you're just going to get the tinny harmonics of the bass tone. So you might be relying exclusively on the amp's speakers on stage.

I was going to recommend a MarkBass amp but then I saw your budget

If you can find a Fender Bassman 100 reissue combo used for under $200 that would be a good amp. Decent EQ, compressor, and has XLR out. Barring that, a Fender Rumble would work too.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

100 watts on a bass amp is a very different thing from 100 watts on a guitar amp. Bass speakers are huge and have to displace a lot of air in order to be heard. At band practices my 100 watt amp has barely kept up with the drums.

Another thing to consider is if the house speakers will actually be capable of reproducing bass tones with the rest of the music coming through. If your house speaker stacks don't have woofers or subwoofers you're just going to get the tinny harmonics of the bass tone. So you might be relying exclusively on the amp's speakers on stage.

If you can find a Fender Bassman 100 reissue combo used for under $200 that would be a good amp. Decent EQ, compressor, and has XLR out. Barring that, a Fender Rumble would work too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've sort of hit the nail on the head with the sound system.  I've been playing through it, but I'm not sure how good it sounds out there.  I think it just gives it some volume over what I'm playing through.   Now I remember the Fender Bassman back in the day.  That's one I'd see.  Actually I think I'd usually see heads with stacks.  Big ones.  LOL.  But this rumble, that's a new one on me and I didn't know if they're any good.  Is it a digital amp like the bronco?  

But yeah, I probably am better off with more power and a bigger speaker because I don't the system has speakers that will drive the bass too much.  But it's like anything in life, we're a small church and everything is a trade off due to budget and time constraints.   And man power.  We don't have a lot of people to run the board that know what they're doing.  One guy does a good job and then his son does it when he's gone and he doesn't play an instrument or really know much about music.  We gotta get more people in that area too.  

The point being what it optimal might not be what is actually possible.  LOL.  I'm trying to sell stuff.  But the guy I'm borrowing the Bass and Amp from doesn't want to give them up to a trade for a gun.  I don't blame him.  He wants to learn and he piddles every once in a while.  Plus he got a really good deal.  I'm using his Fender Jazz bass and that amp and he got it for like 350 bucks.  I would imagine the Jazz bass isn't a top of the line one, but it does the job and even the lower end ones go for more than 350 used, I would think.

So, anyways.....  I'm looking at this like, anything is going to be an improvement over playing through a guitar amp.   Within reason.  But if I can find a good deal on a bigger amp used, I should probably go that route.  I haven't seen a lot yet.  I'll have to start checking more places than what I have around here.  Because so far I'm not seeing anything that looks like it will fill our needs.   Maybe a few.

This is my local music go round and I don't think they have anything that is a good idea in my budget.....  Any of these trip your guys' trigger?  

musicgoround
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Solid state is way more popular than tube for bass anymore. Especially when you can get a 500w amp that's less than five pounds and a out as big as a Nintendo Wii.  I think that Fender Bronco is a modeling amp. Modeling amps are like a lot of things, the more they cost the better they are (I'm not a big fan at any price).  Any reason the band leader thinks you need an 18"? I've played through a few, meh. I still prefer 10s or a three way 12 cab.
View Quote

So when you say modeling amp, it's a digital signal, right?  I've never liked that.  When I first started playing in bands, I had this digital affects board but I eventually got rid of that.  Too....  digital sounding.  LOL.  

I think the leader just wants me to get something that is going to bring out the low end well.  And that's what he was thinking would do it.  What's a 3 way cabinet?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You've sort of hit the nail on the head with the sound system.  I've been playing through it, but I'm not sure how good it sounds out there.  I think it just gives it some volume over what I'm playing through.   Now I remember the Fender Bassman back in the day.  That's one I'd see.  Actually I think I'd usually see heads with stacks.  Big ones.  LOL.  But this rumble, that's a new one on me and I didn't know if they're any good.  Is it a digital amp like the bronco?  

But yeah, I probably am better off with more power and a bigger speaker because I don't the system has speakers that will drive the bass too much.  But it's like anything in life, we're a small church and everything is a trade off due to budget and time constraints.   And man power.  We don't have a lot of people to run the board that know what they're doing.  One guy does a good job and then his son does it when he's gone and he doesn't play an instrument or really know much about music.  We gotta get more people in that area too.  

The point being what it optimal might not be what is actually possible.  LOL.  I'm trying to sell stuff.  But the guy I'm borrowing the Bass and Amp from doesn't want to give them up to a trade for a gun.  I don't blame him.  He wants to learn and he piddles every once in a while.  Plus he got a really good deal.  I'm using his Fender Jazz bass and that amp and he got it for like 350 bucks.  I would imagine the Jazz bass isn't a top of the line one, but it does the job and even the lower end ones go for more than 350 used, I would think.

So, anyways.....  I'm looking at this like, anything is going to be an improvement over playing through a guitar amp.   Within reason.  But if I can find a good deal on a bigger amp used, I should probably go that route.  I haven't seen a lot yet.  I'll have to start checking more places than what I have around here.  Because so far I'm not seeing anything that looks like it will fill our needs.   Maybe a few.

This is my local music go round and I don't think they have anything that is a good idea in my budget.....  Any of these trip your guys' trigger?  

musicgoround
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

musicgoround

Fender Rumble line is the bass equivalent of their Frontman line, solid state amps assembled overseas - kind of the "Squire" of their amp line.  I have Rumble 25 for practice - just got it and I really like it/  It is light years better than the same amp I just blew up that I bought 10 years ago - for the same price.  The 100 watt 12 inch version will set you back about $300 new.

Again, I recommend a used Peavey TKO or TNT - should be half that or a little more.  You don't need tubes for bass, especially in a church.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So when you say modeling amp, it's a digital signal, right?  I've never liked that.  When I first started playing in bands, I had this digital affects board but I eventually got rid of that.  Too....  digital sounding.  LOL.  

I think the leader just wants me to get something that is going to bring out the low end well.  And that's what he was thinking would do it.  What's a 3 way cabinet?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't worry about modeling amps, there aren't any worth having in your price range.

Carvin is having a sale, 20% off. You can add another cabinet to that combo for more reinforcement later.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:23:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is "clone" the name of the ampeg head or is it a clone of an ampeg head?  LOL.   I've been out of music and gear for so long, I have no clue what's all going on out there.
View Quote

It's a clone in that I built a copy of a 1965 Ampeg B15n from parts.  Amp building is a hobby of mine.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 3:27:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Three way cab.  https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/bass-cabinets/tb153/

I can't speak much on the newer Fender Rumble series other than to say they were redesigned a few years ago. The newer heads are class D and supposedly have better designed speakers.  I haven't played through one. I have an older (about twelve to fourteen years old) 60w 1x12 Rumble. It's serviceable but not a favorite of mine.

Looking at your Music Go Round link, the two I liked best were the Gallien Krueger MB-115 combo or the Gallien Backline 600 head (of course though, you'd need a cab with the 600).
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's a clone in that I built a copy of a 1965 Ampeg B15n from parts.  Amp building is a hobby of mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is "clone" the name of the ampeg head or is it a clone of an ampeg head?  LOL.   I've been out of music and gear for so long, I have no clue what's all going on out there.

You like sniffing solder smoke?  LOL.  That is a cool hobby.  I'm guessing you can make them a lot cheaper than what they sell for, eh?  

Hey Guys, I looked at the other music go round's website in my area and they have a lot more options.  It's basically up in MKE, so I think that's why there is so many more choices.  It's not overly far though.  I see some Peavey's like somebody mentioned and maybe some others.....  Tell me what you guys would go for, on a tight budget.  The TKO 115 looks like it might be a good thing?????

They have a couple of really sweet basses.  After I get the amp, that'll be my next quest.  Atlhough I won't have a lot of money for that either.  But I see some reasonable Fenders on here.  I would probably love the rickenbackers.  SWEET.  Although I've never played one to know if they're any good.  I've always liked the guitars though.  For some reason the Epiphone Thunderbird bass has my interest piqued too.  

http://www.musicgoroundgreenfield.com/c/49/bass-amps

http://www.musicgoroundgreenfield.com/c/50/bass-guitars

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You like sniffing solder smoke?  LOL.  That is a cool hobby.  I'm guessing you can make them a lot cheaper than what they sell for, eh?  

Hey Guys, I looked at the other music go round's website in my area and they have a lot more options.  It's basically up in MKE, so I think that's why there is so many more choices.  It's not overly far though.  I see some Peavey's like somebody mentioned and maybe some others.....  Tell me what you guys would go for, on a tight budget.  The TKO 115 looks like it might be a good thing?????

They have a couple of really sweet basses.  After I get the amp, that'll be my next quest.  Atlhough I won't have a lot of money for that either.  But I see some reasonable Fenders on here.  I would probably love the rickenbackers.  SWEET.  Although I've never played one to know if they're any good.  I've always liked the guitars though.  For some reason the Epiphone Thunderbird bass has my interest piqued too.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is your total budget?

What kind of bass are you using now, and what do you like/dislike about it?

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can make them cheaper if I don't charge anything for my time.  I typically built from the most basic components.  I bend my own chassis, drill my own circuit boards, and build and cover my own cabinets.  I can build most any tube amp for about $350 assuming I don't have to buy expensive transformers.  But...  I'll have 60 or so hours into the project by the time I'm done.  The real benefit is the knowledge of what's "under the hood" in classic tube amps.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Alright, I've been doing the bass thing on and off for about 20 years now.  A list of what I've owned in the past:

Peavey Mark IV Head + Traynor 1x18 PA cab - Loud and effective, but I was playing shitty punk rock and I always had it sounding pretty terrible.  I'd love to get a setup like this again, just to see if I could make do with something like that!
Fender BXR100C - 100W, 1x15 combo from the late '90s sometime.  Serviceable, but not the greatest.
Fender BXR300C - 300W and 1x15 with a better driver - better than the above, but I did manage to kill the speaker.  Replaced with an Eminence Delta Pro LFA - that speaker pounded!  
Gallien-Krueger Backline 250 + Fender Bassman 115 cab - this is actually about what you could gun for for under $200.  The Backline G-K amps sound surprisingly competent.  Pair it with an efficient, cheap cab, and you'll actually get pretty far with it!
Current : BBE BMax Preamp + Carvin DCML1000L power amp + Avatar Neo 4x10 + Avatar Neo 2x10 - This of course, is ideal, but it will cost some money...

I've played quite a lot of gigs un-miced in small clubs, as you would be in your church.  Even in a sub-club-sized place, wattage is your friend!

Some may disagree, but for a stationary, non-miced type of bass amp, you're best off with way more power than you need, and set your level accordingly.  This can be done with minimal monetary investment.  The down-side is that the equipment is very large, and very heavy.  Once again, I'll turn to Peavey every single time for this.  The '70s through early '90s Peavey Musician, Mark series (ALL of them), and Century series amplifiers are all fairly well unstoppable from a reliability perspective, and make sound that's just good enough for a live band setting.  The cabs for these (4x10s, 2x15s, 1x18 + 2x10) can be had astoundingly cheaply.  I actually picked up an 1820 (one of the aforementioned 1x18" and 2x10" drivers... all in one massive, 145-lb. box) for $70 from a guy that just wanted it gone.  Fact is, the day for dinosaurs like this has been gone for a long time.  In most venues, your bass amp is simply for your own stage monitor volume - the house will go direct out of your amp and into the PA, which is the greatest thing ever to happen to bass amplification!  So... nobody wants or needs to lug 200 lbs. and a couple thousand watts of bass gear around anymore.  As a result, it's stupidly cheap to buy second-hand, out of pawn shops, and even used music stores.  You could do a head and cab for $200 without trying too hard.  Aside from trying to lift it, that is...  

I see you linked your local MGR - of the gear they have there...  that G-K MB-115 is the way to go.  It's cheap, it's durable, they sound good, and it's self-contained.  You can run the amp louder and play lighter, giving you more "headroom" with your playing dynamics, and reduces fatigue if you're going to play a LOT.  Not a big deal at church, but I'll tell you, on a 3-hour set, big wattage and several drivers is simply fantastic.

Choosing from the selection of basses, that Yamaha BB4N is going to be tough to beat for the price... though, I usually see older BBs go for under $200 around here...  

That aside, for cheap basses, the older USA-built Peavey basses are extremely hard to beat.  The build quality is consistent, they play pretty well, and sound decent, too.  I'd take them over a Squier or even most sub-$700 Fender basses, too.  Look for the Fury, T40, Foundation, T20, or Forum.  All are solid, though the market's been creeping up on the T series instruments...

I also can't recommend the Ibanez ATK basses enough.  I bought a cheap one after my first G&L was stolen in a burglary as an inexpensive "practice bass".  It doesn't play as well as my G&Ls have, but the ATK has *balls* in a way that few other expensive basses do.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What is your total budget?   As little as possible.  I'm selling some stuff to fund it.  I have money in the bank but the least amount spent (within reason, meaning I want something that has acceptable tone and works and with guitars, one that doesn't go out of tune every time a mouse farts).  If I had 100K in the bank, It could be spent on things we need.  Windows, landscaping, kids college, retirement, etc etc......  sammiches

What kind of bass are you using now, and what do you like/dislike about it?  It's in the OP.  Borrowed gear, need to give back eventually.  But fwiw, I'm playing a Fender Jazz through a 30 watt create guitar amp.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is your total budget?   As little as possible.  I'm selling some stuff to fund it.  I have money in the bank but the least amount spent (within reason, meaning I want something that has acceptable tone and works and with guitars, one that doesn't go out of tune every time a mouse farts).  If I had 100K in the bank, It could be spent on things we need.  Windows, landscaping, kids college, retirement, etc etc......  sammiches

What kind of bass are you using now, and what do you like/dislike about it?  It's in the OP.  Borrowed gear, need to give back eventually.  But fwiw, I'm playing a Fender Jazz through a 30 watt create guitar amp.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:40:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I can make them cheaper if I don't charge anything for my time.  I typically built from the most basic components.  I bend my own chassis, drill my own circuit boards, and build and cover my own cabinets.  I can build most any tube amp for about $350 assuming I don't have to buy expensive transformers.  But...  I'll have 60 or so hours into the project by the time I'm done.  The real benefit is the knowledge of what's "under the hood" in classic tube amps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't mean that to sound like, "Hey, make me an amp cheap".  LOL.  I just think it's really cool that you do it.  I've debated about making my own speaker cabinet.  I am kind of handy that way and have the tools.  But I'm not sure I'd know how to finish it off.  I'd probably end up spraying it with krylon.    I did use to wrap fabric panels for pushpin boards for the backs of desks.  Some 3m spray glue and you're off to the races.  LOL.  My guess is I wouldn't be able to do it much cheaper than buying one.  By the time you buy the speaker.......
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Alright, I've been doing the bass thing on and off for about 20 years now.  A list of what I've owned in the past:

Peavey Mark IV Head + Traynor 1x18 PA cab - Loud and effective, but I was playing shitty punk rock and I always had it sounding pretty terrible.  I'd love to get a setup like this again, just to see if I could make do with something like that!
Fender BXR100C - 100W, 1x15 combo from the late '90s sometime.  Serviceable, but not the greatest.
Fender BXR300C - 300W and 1x15 with a better driver - better than the above, but I did manage to kill the speaker.  Replaced with an Eminence Delta Pro LFA - that speaker pounded!  
Gallien-Krueger Backline 250 + Fender Bassman 115 cab - this is actually about what you could gun for for under $200.  The Backline G-K amps sound surprisingly competent.  Pair it with an efficient, cheap cab, and you'll actually get pretty far with it!
Current : BBE BMax Preamp + Carvin DCML1000L power amp + Avatar Neo 4x10 + Avatar Neo 2x10 - This of course, is ideal, but it will cost some money...

I've played quite a lot of gigs un-miced in small clubs, as you would be in your church.  Even in a sub-club-sized place, wattage is your friend!

Some may disagree, but for a stationary, non-miced type of bass amp, you're best off with way more power than you need, and set your level accordingly.  This can be done with minimal monetary investment.  The down-side is that the equipment is very large, and very heavy.  Once again, I'll turn to Peavey every single time for this.  The '70s through early '90s Peavey Musician, Mark series (ALL of them), and Century series amplifiers are all fairly well unstoppable from a reliability perspective, and make sound that's just good enough for a live band setting.  The cabs for these (4x10s, 2x15s, 1x18 + 2x10) can be had astoundingly cheaply.  I actually picked up an 1820 (one of the aforementioned 1x18" and 2x10" drivers... all in one massive, 145-lb. box) for $70 from a guy that just wanted it gone.  Fact is, the day for dinosaurs like this has been gone for a long time.  In most venues, your bass amp is simply for your own stage monitor volume - the house will go direct out of your amp and into the PA, which is the greatest thing ever to happen to bass amplification!  So... nobody wants or needs to lug 200 lbs. and a couple thousand watts of bass gear around anymore.  As a result, it's stupidly cheap to buy second-hand, out of pawn shops, and even used music stores.  You could do a head and cab for $200 without trying too hard.  Aside from trying to lift it, that is...  

I see you linked your local MGR - of the gear they have there...  that G-K MB-115 is the way to go.  It's cheap, it's durable, they sound good, and it's self-contained.  You can run the amp louder and play lighter, giving you more "headroom" with your playing dynamics, and reduces fatigue if you're going to play a LOT.  Not a big deal at church, but I'll tell you, on a 3-hour set, big wattage and several drivers is simply fantastic.

Choosing from the selection of basses, that Yamaha BB4N is going to be tough to beat for the price... though, I usually see older BBs go for under $200 around here...  

That aside, for cheap basses, the older USA-built Peavey basses are extremely hard to beat.  The build quality is consistent, they play pretty well, and sound decent, too.  I'd take them over a Squier or even most sub-$700 Fender basses, too.  Look for the Fury, T40, Foundation, T20, or Forum.  All are solid, though the market's been creeping up on the T series instruments...

I also can't recommend the Ibanez ATK basses enough.  I bought a cheap one after my first G&L was stolen in a burglary as an inexpensive "practice bass".  It doesn't play as well as my G&Ls have, but the ATK has *balls* in a way that few other expensive basses do.
View Quote

Is your board name a reference to Fugazi?  I"m not playing with you I'm not playing with you I'm not playing with you yeah you.  

I used to have a Peavey guitar back in the day.  It was like a tele copy.  I found it halfway decent, but did eventually have Fender Tele's.  2 of them.  That was eventually my go to guitar.  I like a strat body now because it's more comfy.  But I can't stand that middle pick up.  For sound, gets in the way when I pick, etc etc.  Anyways.... that's guitars.  

I used to play an Ibanez bass at my last church and I liked it.  But it was the older body style that was basically a P bass or your standard strat type of a body.  The newer Ibanez bodies are ugly to me.  I try not to be real picky about looks though.  If it works good.....  But sometimes I do care.  I like things pretty simple and vanilla.  

I'm not seeing how I can do a head and amp for around 200 bucks.  I'll have to look at that again....  I was thinking a combo was the more cost effective way to go.   Sorry to hear about the G&L.  Thievery is freaking annoying.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:42:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I didn't mean that to sound like, "Hey, make me an amp cheap".  LOL.  I just think it's really cool that you do it.  I've debated about making my own speaker cabinet.  I am kind of handy that way and have the tools.  But I'm not sure I'd know how to finish it off.  I'd probably end up spraying it with krylon.    I did use to wrap fabric panels for pushpin boards for the backs of desks.  Some 3m spray glue and you're off to the races.  LOL.  My guess is I wouldn't be able to do it much cheaper than buying one.  By the time you buy the speaker.......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't take it that way.  I was just pointing out I'd be money ahead to work some overtime rather than build build an amp for "cost savings".  As far as building your own cab goes, if you like building things I'd recomend jt.  There's lots of info and parts available on the web.  Covering the box can be done with Tolex, stain on nice wood or carpet.  Me? I like bright tolex ( blue, red) and similar stains on wood.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Gotcha.  If I built one, I don't think "bright" would be a good idea for church.  LOL.  But I wouldn't mind it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Looking at your Music Go Round links, I'd say that the GK-MB115/Peavey TKO 115 and the Ibanez SR300 would get you a nice, versatile little set up.  If you want to keep it a little less expensive for the bass, take a look at http://www.rondomusic.com

I've played/owned a few from there and haven't played one that I hated.  That being said, there were a few "playability" issues I had to fix (fret dress, nuts, shielding, etc...).  Nothing too time or cost intensive, but still had to be fixed to where I liked them.  So if you can tinker a bit, that might be an option for you also.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Back in the day my bass player had a newer Mark Iv and a 2 X18 old Fender cab and a 2 X 12 old fender cab, all loaded with Black Widow drivers - and it sounded awseom.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Back in the day my bass player had a newer Mark Iv and a 2 X18 old Fender cab and a 2 X 12 old fender cab, all loaded with Black Widow drivers - and it sounded awseom.
View Quote

And someone is probably still using that rig to this day.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Is your board name a reference to Fugazi?  I"m not playing with you I'm not playing with you I'm not playing with you yeah you.  
View Quote

Might be!
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#35]
I played through some of the amps at one of those Music Go rounds.  The Peavey TKO 115, Fender Rumble and the Acoustic B20.  I liked them all.  I wish the acoustic had more watts.  It sounded good but I think would be pushing it.   I think the other two are overkill but they sounded great.  But I think I'd be playing on level 2.  LOL.  Way loud.  I kept thinking I wished there was something in between and then when I got home I noticed they have a 50 or 70 watt Gallien Kruger with -10"er.  That might work.  But I don't remember seeing it there.  Ugh.  This one:

http://www.musicgoroundgreenfield.com/p/535502/used-gallien-krueger-backline-110-bass-amp-50-watts
What do you guys think of this one?  

I played some basses they had and I really liked the P basses they had.  They were all a bit lighter than the Jazz I'm playing now and they were all decent.  Problem is, the best playing one seemed to have the most quiet pick ups.  So the smaller amps plus that bass might be a bad idea.  I have no clue why it was quiter than the rest.  It had the highest price and felt the best.  

It's this one.  It was awesome, sounded good but was quieter than the rest and that concerns me if I get an amp that's smaller.
http://www.musicgoroundgreenfield.com/p/549258/used-fender-p-bass-standard-bass-guitar-red

This one played nice and sounded good, but I don't know if I can live with that color:
http://www.musicgoroundgreenfield.com/p/500200/used-fender-precision-bass-guitar-red-made-in-mexico

And this one I like the looks best, and the price and it played kind of nice and sounded alright through an amp.  But you could tell it was the least quality and it does that thing that when you go from one string to another, the tone is a LOT different.  Like if you play a E on the third string and then do it on the 2nd string the tone is a lot more trebley on the smaller string and kind of drastic.  That burgundy one was more consistent with that.    
http://www.musicgoroundgreenfield.com/p/557676/used-squier-precision-cn-mik-bass-guitar-white

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Don't get the epi thunderbird it is insanely unbalanced. The neck weighs more than the body. It's not a neck through like the Gibson. The Gibson isn't really great either.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#37]
The body was all wrong for me.  I sit a lot and the big wing on the top side just is totally in the way.  Whoever thought that would be a good idea?  I guess it's fine if you'e standing.  

How about ESP guitars?  Are they good to go?  The place by me has one that looks like a strat copy and I watched a few youtube vids and they seem to have a good rep.  But I have no clue if that's true or not.  I've never played one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, I did the deed and dropped the cash.  I hate spending money.  But I guess it had to be done.  The amp is really nice.  I still think it's going to be overkill.  But there just wasn't a lot of choice of "inbetween" practice and something this big.  If you know what I mean. I think I could've got away with a smaller amp.  But the ones I had my eye on at the particular store were snapped up.  Probably for good reason. I was hoping to try the GK 70 watt with  1-10"er.  

But, I think this one will do fine.  It seems like a solid amp and the casters totally make it easier to move around.  And I think the 2-10" sort of smooth out the sound compared to the 15"ers, I played through.  I was worried that I'd have those turned down so much, that it would sound lousy.  This one...  I think fits the bill nicely.  And it's still very bassy.  

Thanks for all the help guys.  Oh yeah, I payed 200 for the amp and 350 for the guitar.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Good acquisitions!

Now it's time to play the crap out of it!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well, I did the deed and dropped the cash.  I hate spending money.  But I guess it had to be done.  The amp is really nice.  I still think it's going to be overkill.  But there just wasn't a lot of choice of "inbetween" practice and something this big.  If you know what I mean. I think I could've got away with a smaller amp.  But the ones I had my eye on at the particular store were snapped up.  Probably for good reason. I was hoping to try the GK 70 watt with  1-10"er.  

But, I think this one will do fine.  It seems like a solid amp and the casters totally make it easier to move around.  And I think the 2-10" sort of smooth out the sound compared to the 15"ers, I played through.  I was worried that I'd have those turned down so much, that it would sound lousy.  This one...  I think fits the bill nicely.  And it's still very bassy.  

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/Music/IMG_7527_zpsljtutkgc.jpg

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/Music/IMG_7529_zpshpuoucgd.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys.  Oh yeah, I payed 200 for the amp and 350 for the guitar.
View Quote

That setup should last you a good long while.

My perspective, which I know lots of people will disagree with: stick with 4 string until you kick ass at it. 5 strings will make it easier to play some stuff, no doubt, but the limitation of 4 will force you to learn more chord inversions and make you a more creative player. I have 4 basses, and only 1 is a 5 string, and I haven't played it in ages. (One is a piccolo bass, which is fun in its own right )
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:44:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks repeater.  It's not going to get much volume work out at church.  At practice today I had it on about 1 (there's no numbers on it, but it's low) and my Guitar was on about 7 or 8.  I think I'll need a little more volume tomorrow when everyone is in there and the piano player opens up the top.  He leaves it shut at practice, because he doesn't remove the cover.  I really think i would've gotten away with a 1-10" amp and just feed a line through the system to give it extra volume.  But when I was in the store to buy, they didn't have an amp that size anymore.  

But I may end up moving toward the back of the stage and more volume will probably be needed at that point.  Right now I'm down low playing on the front row.  LOL.  It's not overly big in my church.  

Phurba.  I briefly played a 5 string at my last church and I went back to the 4 string after a couple of times.  I found myself not liking the extra weight, and the low B was too new for me to be smart about it.  Plus I never went that low anyways.  A lot of church songs have D in them, but I really didn't feel like hitting low fit the songs much at all.  

I'm kind of a KISS guy when it comes to playing in front of people.  Plus I'll probably be playing guitar at times too, so the simpler the better for my 44 year old brain.  I have to see how either of my guitars will sound through that bass amp.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#42]
It really worked out really well today.  This is the practice before service.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top