Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2016 1:25:36 PM EDT
So I would like a drum machine or a simple set of electric drums that I can do a a drum beat and loop it for when I am playing guitar. The thing is I have no idea what I am looking for so any suggestions would be great. I only play for myself and by myself and I am looking to help my timing and make my terrible playing a little more tolerable especially while using an electric.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of these, they are awesome: http://mybeatbuddy.com/
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one of these, they are awesome: http://mybeatbuddy.com/
View Quote

That or the digitech Trio seem really cool, but I don't have a small PA (or clean amp) to take full advantage.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Toontrack EZDrummer2 for your PC or Mac. I bought it awhile back, and it's so damn easy to use.

Metal might not be your thing. If it isn't, bear with me here, because this is a good demo that shows how really easy this program is to use. https://youtu.be/YEJH3WM6Oz8

You download it direct from Toontrack.com and you can buy they key directly from them or get the key cheaper from somebody like Sweetwater.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I am in the industry, and two years in a row, beatbuddy's booth was right next to mine at the Namm show.
please, for the love of sweet baby jesuz, don't buy a beatbuddy. Omg if i ever hear it again i might go insane.

Toontrack ezdrummer on the other hand, is totally legit.

Or better yet, get a foot stomp and a tambourine and do it yourself. That will really kick up your timing.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:45:47 PM EDT
[#5]
A metronome will help with odd time signatures and is always on tempo.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 11:34:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Toontrack EZDrummer2 for your PC or Mac. I bought it awhile back, and it's so damn easy to use.

Metal might not be your thing. If it isn't, bear with me here, because this is a good demo that shows how really easy this program is to use. https://youtu.be/YEJH3WM6Oz8

You download it direct from Toontrack.com and you can buy they key directly from them or get the key cheaper from somebody like Sweetwater.
View Quote

Truth spoken here!  EZ Drummer 2 is fantastic!
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#7]
EZ Drummer and Beatbuddy are two different things IMO. Beatbuddy is more akin to a really fancy metronome whereas EZ Drummer is something you could record with in lieu of real drums and sound good. The issue really is just that having a PC running EZ Drummer is not the most practical to use just for informal jamming or at a small gig.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
EZ Drummer and Beatbuddy are two different things IMO. Beatbuddy is more akin to a really fancy metronome whereas EZ Drummer is something you could record with in lieu of real drums and sound good. The issue really is just that having a PC running EZ Drummer is not the most practical to use just for informal jamming or at a small gig.
View Quote

Have you ever used EZ Drummer 2? The tap2find function makes it stupidly easy to whip up drum pattern, very quickly, which works just fine for jamming.

As far as gigging goes, you can work out the song, record it on your favorite DAW, then export it to whichever file you want and play the drum tracks on a media player playlist. Heck, you could put them on your phone if you wanted to and keep the adapter you need to plug the headphone jack into a mixer in your guitar case/gig bag.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Have you ever used EZ Drummer 2? The tap2find function makes it stupidly easy to whip up drum pattern, very quickly, which works just fine for jamming.

As far as gigging goes, you can work out the song, record it on your favorite DAW, then export it to whichever file you want and play the drum tracks on a media player playlist. Heck, you could put them on your phone if you wanted to and keep the adapter you need to plug the headphone jack into a mixer in your guitar case/gig bag.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I actually own a copy of EZ Drummer as well as a BeatBuddy. I find myself just using the BeatBuddy with midi tracks generated in EZ Drummer. I personally just find it more convenient than hooking up a laptop or phone.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's a site with drum samples. You can download 'em and loop 'em in your PC.

http://soundjax.com/drum-1.html
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:35:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah I actually own a copy of EZ Drummer as well as a BeatBuddy. I find myself just using the BeatBuddy with midi tracks generated in EZ Drummer. I personally just find it more convenient than hooking up a laptop or phone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EZ Drummer doesn't have Tap2Find, EZD2 does. T2F makes it stupidly easy to find the right drum sequence, and it provides intros, verses, choruses, bridges, outros, and several variations of each. No, it might not be quite as quick and dirty as a Beat Buddy, but I like it just fine, and it doesn't take much to hook a laptop to something loud enough to keep up with an amp (I often use a cassette adapter into a boom box or loud stereo for this).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top