Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2016 12:50:35 AM EDT
As the title states.  I'd love to pick up an acoustic kit, but being AD .mil and living in apartments/townhouses, it makes it hard without pissing all of my neighbors off.

Price cap is probably $1500-$2000.

Most of the kits in my price range seem to have only one crash/one ride.  Are there kits out there that are expandable (allow me to add at least one more crash)?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 1:18:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't just look at one crash one ride. Look at expandability of the controller. Triggers are rather cheap. I personally would recommend Roland.

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:47:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't just look at one crash one ride. Look at expandability of the controller. Triggers are rather cheap. I personally would recommend Roland.  

https://www.discountbandit.com/roland-td-25k-drums.html

View Quote

That was actually one of the kits I was eyeing up but couldn't find it that cheap, thanks for the link.  Seems the recommended brands are Roland and Yamaha?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried out a few recently. I'd definitely go with the mesh type heads like that Roland kit linked vs the hard rubber.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#4]
A good used Roland TD-20.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#5]
You care most about the brain unit, and how versatile that is.  You can always add or exchange out pads and other triggered devices.

Buy the best you can afford though, because whacking away at shitty hard rubber pads gets old fast.  If you can afford a nice kit with mesh heads, do it, even if it means not having a lot of drums to start and adding them later.  The feel is so much more realistic and makes transitioning to an acoustic kit that much easier.

Roland and Yamaha both make good units.  I still have my Yamaha brain and I occasionally use it to trigger acoustic drums.  The Roland Vdrums are nice.

In general my opinion is that electronic drums will never be as nice as having real drums, but if you have noise issues then you gotta do what you gotta do.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Another +1 on the Roland.

They are the standard, imo.

I practice with a used TD-30 I got.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#7]
If all you want it for is quiet practice I would check out Remo Silent Stroke heads and Zildjian L80 cymbals. I have a Yamaha DTX900 series and honestly the silent strokes and l80's are not much louder than the electric pads.

Another

Link Posted: 7/3/2016 2:34:16 AM EDT
[#8]
No matter what I tried, I never liked the hi-hat and kick drum response on any electronic drum set. But they are great for apartments and close neighbors.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been playing Roland TD 25 kv kit and they blow had a Yamaha Dtx kit it got boring fast. I hate electronic drums. I thought a 4,500 dollar kit would have problems worked out. It doesn't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top