Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2016 6:52:14 PM EDT
So, I read over the "what to look for in your first guitar" thread, but my question is........

I will be having total knee replacement in October, and off work for 4 months with not too much to do.

Will I be wasting my time trying to learn to play during my recovery?

I don't want to start a rock band, just learn to play around the camp fire.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as you can sit upright comfortably after the surgery you should be OK

If you practice at least 30 minutes a day for 4 months you'll be amazed at the progress
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, you should be able to get quite a bit down in four months. Just keep at it. And remember, don't get frustrated and force things. Build your muscle memory, go slow at first, and gradually build from there.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 1:11:23 AM EDT
[#3]
When you can crush a lit cigarette on the tips of your fingers you will know your practice routine is where it needs to be.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, you should be able to get quite a bit down in four months. Just keep at it. And remember, don't get frustrated and force things. Build your muscle memory, go slow at first, and gradually build from there.
View Quote

This.  I've been at it for just under two months.  I practice an hour to an hour and a half per night and have noticed improvement.  Not getting frustrated is very important.  I have very little patience and want to improve immediately.  When that happens I get frustrated and my practice sessions go backwards instead of forwards.  

Check out http://www.justinguitar.com
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When you can crush a lit cigarette on the tips of your fingers you will know your practice routine is where it needs to be.
View Quote

Nice. Just have to start my search for the guitar I like.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What kind if music do you want to play and who are some of your favorite bands/artists?

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#7]
30 years ago I went from never playing to a pretty good rendition of Crazy Train in just a couple of months.

You just have to be willing to spend the time on it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What kind if music do you want to play and who are some of your favorite bands/artists?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mostly punk rock. So, I guess I don't have to be all that good to begin with.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, punk is pretty easy, you should have it down in a week or so.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would think he could do it now ...I thought the thread title was how long to play well.....
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Find a song you want to learn and stick with it. It might sound great when you play it but then you go listen to the song and its off. I listen to the song dozens of times so I can play it perfect. I have discovered that after you can read tab good, its all about muscle memory. If you are picky on what "perfect" sounds like to you then you will play well. That probably didnt make any sense but I gave it a shot.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Make sure you get something decent that stays in tune. And learn how to tune.

Nothing will discourage a beginner faster than a guitar that doesn't stay in tune. Being a beginner, they don't realize the guitar is 'out of tune' and they blame themselves for not sounding like anything and give up.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top