Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2016 10:10:08 AM EDT

A shop about an hour away had a warehouse sale and I picked up this 2015 Charvel San Dimas for about half the regular price.  I think they might have botched the discount % on their website, but they honored the price for me.  I'll definitely make the drive up there again.

I had to go outrageous on the strap. as it goes well with my other Charvel:

Oh any good tutorials on how to setup a floyd rose or do fun tricks on it?  The guitar didn't come with a manual.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#1]
A lot of people hate on the Floyd Rose. I'm not one of them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#2]
good luck on your next string change
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Changing the strings should be easy, its getting it in tune and to float that will be the problem!
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Changing the strings should be easy, its getting it in tune and to float that will be the problem!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Change 1 string at a time. ..you'll be fine.  

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just what I was going to say.

But if yiu end starting fron scratch, setting up a Floyd is just a balancing act. Get the tension of the springs and the strings balanced so that the bridge sits level with the body and you're set. Granted, this can involve alot of tightening or loosening the spring hook and retuning. But once you have everything evened out, it'll take alot to get it out of tune.

Oh, and make sure you stretch those strings before you do your final tuning.

And awesome choice! I just put a used Charvel Wildcard #6 Dreamsicle on layaway at a local shop, myself. It'll be nice to have a Charvel again, since my first electric was an '89 Charvel.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's really not as bad as people make it out to be.

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:31:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Tune the first 3 strings a half step sharp, next 3 tuned normal. Adjust to proper tune then tighten the locks. Just make sure you have some room to back off the fine tuners because you might go a bit sharp after tightening the neck locks. After a while you figure out exactly where to overtune each string to so they end up pretty close once you get to the high E string.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:38:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the tips guys.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Tune the first 3 strings a half step sharp, next 3 tuned normal. Adjust to proper tune then tighten the locks. Just make sure you have some room to back off the fine tuners because you might go a bit sharp after tightening the neck locks. After a while you figure out exactly where to overtune each string to so they end up pretty close once you get to the high E string.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't realize it until now, but that's basically what I do when hanging all 6 strings at once. It didn't come out of thinking it through, though. It came more from me reacting to frustration more than anything. Lol

ETA: I don't lock the nut until I'm very close on tuning. I constantly check with a tuner while I'm doing this.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#10]
You and I have similar tastes. I really want a slime green San Dimas with black hardware and a Birdseye maple neck.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You and I have similar tastes. I really want a slime green San Dimas with black hardware and a Birdseye maple neck.
View Quote

Be on the lookout then, the 2015s should be discounted now since the 2016s came out.  They switched to chrome hardware amongst other changes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top