Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2016 4:29:26 PM EDT
I love this song. I want to learn to play the harmonica to accent my guitar playing. I would like to be able to play this song more or less the same way it sounds here. What would be a good harmonica for this style/song? Key of A? I know nothing about harmonicas but I really love how it sounds in this song. Good example of harmonica accents at 3:45. Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Key of A, but there was a B major chord in there, some chromatic movement, and a diminished D# chord.  Kind of a combination of E and A

Hope this helps

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#2]
OK. .. Listened a couple of times..

Sounds like cross harp.. which would be using a harmonica keyed a fourth above the Key (tonic) chord.   So, if the song is in "A",  you would use a harp in "D".

Basically 3 Harp positions.. straight:  Song is in the key of "A", use an ":A"  Harp
Cross position.. Song is in "A", use a "D" harp..
Slant position.. Song in "A", use a "G" harp or the 7th of the root..( nit pickers may say.l that is a flatted 7th}, looking at from a pentatonic scale

All that being said..  A good harp player may "palm" an extra harp, so if there is a key change, modulation, or something of that nature... The player can transition to
the "palmed" harp to seamlessly continue the lick.

Cross position, is probably the most used. You can quickly hear the bends and bluesy aspect..

My instant Blues replica harp noise is cross position through a Green Bullet into a fender champ

As Always, YYMV
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Probable a Hohner chromatic in D.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top