Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2016 6:58:01 PM EDT
Hello all!

I recently took up playing the electric guitar after wanting to do so for ages and am taking lessons at the local School of Rock. I have a Fender Squire strat and Line 6 Spider IV amp. Good enough for strumming away and getting practice. So far I love it, it's great to be able to read TABs and at least start making noises that actually sound like real songs.

Here's my question. Is there any HARM in getting a "nice" guitar to to keep learning with? I totally understand that there may not be a NEED to get one, and that it ain't gonna make me into something I'm not, and I'm not talking spending thousands of dollars, but maybe a grand on something semi-decent. Thinking about an EVH Wolfgang Special (the Mexico version) or a Fender Strat American Special. Both are about $999.

For example, with motorcycles, a beginner does NOT want to be riding something beyond his ability. Just trying to find out if there is something analogous here where learning might somehow be impeded with an instrument that is beyond my ability (whatever that means, I don't even know yet! LOL)

Thanks for any help!

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#1]
There's really no downside, a guitar that's easier to play and sounds good is only going to make you want to play it more and in turn become a better player.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI.

The only down side is that if you lose interest in learning, you have an expensive piece of equipment that you may or may not be able to get your money back on.

You seem to be pretty motivated though. If you have the money for it....

go buy some ammo first.  for it!
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#3]
As the others said, there is no reason not to if you can afford it.  

Of course you will encounter the jealous types who believe that everyone should start with a piece of crap like they did until you are "good enough" to deserve a real guitar.  But that is unadulterated bullshit.  

There is no school of hard knocks when it comes to the guitar.  Buy what you can afford and what you think you will enjoy playing.  If it inspires you, you will play more and get better.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:36:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Nothing wrong with it at all.

If you do go with the EVH, read up and watch some vids on how to set up a Floyd Rose. You may want to simply block it to begin with, but once you get setting up a Floyd in full float mode figured out, you'll love them. The Floyds on the EVHs are decent versions, so there shouldn't be any worries there. I would also look at the Charvel San Dimas line. Basically the same guitar, but with the addition of a neck pickup (assuming you're looking at the EVH Striped Series). Also, keep an eye out for a late '80s or newer made in Japan Jackson Dinky. I have four of them, and they are some of my best playing guitars. I actually like them better than my USA Jacksons in some respects.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, guys, very much appreciated!!

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There's really no downside, a guitar that's easier to play and sounds good is only going to make you want to play it more and in turn become a better player.
View Quote

This.

Careful, though.  Once you have two, they seem to start multiplying.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

This.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

LOL, just like the guns, eh?

-Stooxie

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

-Stooxie

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

-Stooxie

Or ham radios.
Enjoy!
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#9]
It's never bad to have the best made/ most reputable guitar you can afford, that is suited to what you want to do.
it's also smart to befriend a local reputable luthier to keep it in shape.

Shameless plug, if you'd like a quality guitar handmade by an arfcomer:
http://www.BAFergusonguitars.com

Ps: same goes for amps. A hand wired american/british tube amp is what separates the men from the boys.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, WTF should you care about other people's opinion about which guitar you should purchase?  It's your money, your life, your freedom to pursue whatever happiness you deem worthwhile.  Buy what you want and don't give a rat's ass about those judge you on your guitar purchase.

With that said, the new American fat strat with the graphite rods and the new truss rod are great.  Played one that my son's instructor just bought from Sweetwater.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

OP, WTF should you care about other people's opinion about which guitar you should purchase?  It's your money, your life, your freedom to pursue whatever happiness you deem worthwhile.  Buy what you want and don't give a rat's ass about those judge you on your guitar purchase.

With that said, the new American fat strat with the graphite rods and the new truss rod are great.  Played one that my son's instructor just bought from Sweetwater.
View Quote

Haha, I appreciate the sentiment, thanks!

It's not that I'm looking for permission, but rather to know if there were any downsides. It's often the case, in some disciplines, that beginners shouldn't be using higher end equipment for one reason or another. Too complicated, won't be a good learning tool, too automated, etc. Just wanted to know if there was any such thing I should be aware of with the gee-tar.

Thanks!!

-Stooxie

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#12]
The only downside, and it's a small one, is that your tastes may change as you play more.  I don't mean you might like a Les Paul style guitar later in life vs. a Fender Stratocaster but rather you might decide you like the 24.75" scale length of the Les Paul VS. the 25.5" scale length of the Fender or you might like a 9" radius fretboard vs. a 12" radius fretboard or a solid bridge vs. floating/tremolo bridge.  But there's only one way to find out and that's by playing lots of guitars.  If that means you have to buy more than one guitar, welcome to the club.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

For example, with motorcycles, a beginner does NOT want to be riding something beyond his ability. Just trying to find out if there is something analogous here where learning might somehow be impeded with an instrument that is beyond my ability (whatever that means, I don't even know yet! LOL)

Thanks for any help!
-Stooxie
View Quote

LOL, That's because a motorcycle will literally KILL you if used improperly.   The learning curve is written in blood.    Same goes for airplanes.  

OTOH, A nice guitar isn't gonna do that.    Maybe get a blister on your little finger..maybe get a blister on your thumb.    

Or maybe you'll get famous and die of an overdose of loose women, heroin and booze.    But you can't really blame the guitbox for that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
LOL, That's because a motorcycle will literally KILL you if used improperly.   The learning curve is written in blood.    Same goes for airplanes.  

OTOH, A nice guitar isn't gonna do that.    Maybe get a blister on your little finger..maybe get a blister on your thumb.    

Or maybe you'll get famous and die of an overdose of loose women, heroin and booze.    But you can't really blame the guitbox for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for any help!

-Stooxie

Hahaha, ok, THAT I can handle!

I know, I tried to tell my kids, why don't you learn how to play this thing, "play the gee-tar on the MTV." But they're kids, by definition they can't listen to a fucken thing their parents tell them. So I'M learning to play it!

Was just playing the opening chords to Plush (ableit lousily.) Brings a big ole smile to my face!

-Stooxie

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hello all!

I recently took up playing the electric guitar after wanting to do so for ages and am taking lessons at the local School of Rock. I have a Fender Squire strat and Line 6 Spider IV amp. Good enough for strumming away and getting practice. So far I love it, it's great to be able to read TABs and at least start making noises that actually sound like real songs.

Here's my question. Is there any HARM in getting a "nice" guitar to to keep learning with? I totally understand that there may not be a NEED to get one, and that it ain't gonna make me into something I'm not, and I'm not talking spending thousands of dollars, but maybe a grand on something semi-decent. Thinking about an EVH Wolfgang Special (the Mexico version) or a Fender Strat American Special. Both are about $999.

Thanks for any help!
-Stooxie
View Quote

Get the USA made Strat

better yet get a used one!
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I have owned and played real junk and just fair cheaper guitars. I see no down side to buying a popular
quality guitar, Even if you decide to sell later on it will bring more money and be easier to sell.

I own a few expensive quality guitars that will not hold their value that well compared to some others.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:24:00 AM EDT
[#17]
It's up to you, along the lines if you can afford it, why not?

I know many wealthy people that have very expensive guitars( some of them have quite a few) they barely can play.  

I would scour pawn shops and craigslist, take a knowledgeable buddy along, find something nice you like.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:29:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I find that, in any of my hobbies or passions, that using quality gear keeps me excited and coming back for more.  I'm all for getting something decent and then learning as much as I can until it holds me back, which usually takes years, if ever, when using quality stuff.  

If your enthusiasm and interests are leading you to a particular guitar, and that might in turn add to your enjoyment of the experience, I think it is a very wise decision.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#19]
There are plenty of people wearing Air Jordans that can't play ball worth a crap. Play what you like.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:09:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Starting out with a good guitar means that you learned and out playing on the same guitar. I had plenty of budget guitars and I never keep them. I don't care what they say they're just not that good. Cheap wood, cheap fret wires, cheap electronics, etc.

When I got three custom made guitars (two Carvins and a Harper) they made me realize how junky the budget guitars were.

If you want the resale value in case you don't keep up get the name (Gibson and Fender MIA for example).
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Nah. I learned on a vintage Les Paul. Made me appreciate how a decent guitar should be.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm getting better, but I'm still just an intermediate beginner.  

I own a 1982 Les Paul Model, a Korean Reverend Gil Parris Signature, a PRS Custom 24 10 Top, and several other guitars that I don't play much and aren't worth much.  I started with a cheap Ibanez that had a Floyd Rose tuner.  Never again.

I don't play my Godin much - it's pretty, but the wiring sucks and it's tone is more hum than music.

I love my Les Paul because of the shorter scale length and the 12" fretboard radius.  That was the first 'real' electric guitar I got, and I basically stole it from a guy who was giving up.  It's not a 'high end' Gibson, but it's a great guitar.

The Reverend is a bit harder to play, due to its longer scale (and my old arthritic hands.  But it's got great, versatile tone.

The PRS is, well, amazing.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

That aint no shit. I have 3 now and cant play a lick . Just bought a used LTD from guitar center (sight unseen, which is kinda scary). I guess I really need to start learning

View Quote

I'm up to seven.  

This one just got delivered today.  Rondo Agile AL3010 with the slim neck.

I honestly don't understand how they can sell them for $325.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I wouldn’t say it’s bad at all, regardless of how good you are. Not the same as giving a 16 year old a Hayabusa! The guitar won’t hurt anyone if you make a mistake, and it’s definitely easier to play a nice guitar than a cheap one.

They definitely multiply. I have like… 11… ish… I’ve actually lost count. The goal is like guns – buy so many the wife can’t tell when you get a new one.

They all have different inspirations to me. If I want to play some Iron Maiden, I don’t pick up my blacked out ESP Explorer; if I want to play Metallica, I do pick up my ESP Explorer. That’s just the way it works for me, anyway.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:53:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Been playing as a middle aged beginner for a few years...so despite playing constantly I can barely play. But I have fun.

I have a Strat Deluxe,  a Telecaster Deluxe, a build I did myself of a Strat using top parts and a Marten HD-28.

I earn my money, I spend it on what I want. No justification needed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:55:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm getting better, but I'm still just an intermediate beginner.  

I own a 1982 Les Paul Model, a Korean Reverend Gil Parris Signature, a PRS Custom 24 10 Top, and several other guitars that I don't play much and aren't worth much.  I started with a cheap Ibanez that had a Floyd Rose tuner.  Never again.

I don't play my Godin much - it's pretty, but the wiring sucks and it's tone is more hum than music.

I love my Les Paul because of the shorter scale length and the 12" fretboard radius.  That was the first 'real' electric guitar I got, and I basically stole it from a guy who was giving up.  It's not a 'high end' Gibson, but it's a great guitar.

The Reverend is a bit harder to play, due to its longer scale (and my old arthritic hands.  But it's got great, versatile tone.

The PRS is, well, amazing.
View Quote

I know Gil
Guy made $$$ playing Smooth Jazz
I always ask him to play little wing
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's never bad to have the best made/ most reputable guitar you can afford, that is suited to what you want to do.
it's also smart to befriend a local reputable luthier to keep it in shape.

Shameless plug, if you'd like a quality guitar handmade by an arfcomer:
http://www.BAFergusonguitars.com

Ps: same goes for amps. A hand wired american/british tube amp is what separates the men from the boys.
View Quote

THIS! THIS! THIS!

ANY instrument will need to be periodically "set up" - many inexpensive instruments benefit from this more than the higher-end ones.  The Squire Strat may be perfectly fine if a luthier looks it over and evaluates action height, intonation, neck relief, and frets - the frets may need to be leveled and crowned.

Ideally, anyone settting up the instrument has an insight into a player's "style", but for a beginner, the 99% solution is as follows:

If needed, level frets - a "grind and polish" job.  If frets have marked wear spots, or the neck has rattles in some spots, this should fix it.

Light string gauge - .009 - .042 on an electric, a little larger on a bronze string acoustic  (any lighter, you will be breaking strings all the time - any heavier, and it is too hard for a noob to play long enough.)

Minimum neck relief- it shouldn't be perfectly straight when tuned to pitch - if you fret the first and last frets, there should be just a LITTLE room under the string a the middle of the neck between it and the fret.  More on the fat strings, less on the skinny ones.The amount of tension on the truss rod to achieve this  will VARY as the action height is adjusted, so you may have to go several rounds of adjusting to zone in on the best settings.  Some necks will give you more than others

Action height:  as low as you can get it without rattling too much.  A little rattle when vigorously strummed is OK, especially for an electric.  Especially on a new one, this may involve work on the nut as well as the bridge.

Finally, intonation - adjusting the string length at the bridge so that the notes aren't sharp or flat as you go up the neck.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It's not that I'm looking for permission, but rather to know if there were any downsides. It's often the case, in some disciplines, that beginners shouldn't be using higher end equipment for one reason or another. Too complicated, won't be a good learning tool, too automated, etc. Just wanted to know if there was any such thing I should be aware of with the gee-tar.

Thanks!!
-Stooxie

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!!
-Stooxie

Guitar is not one of them, within reason.  More novice guitarists give up due to cheap, maladjusted equipment than anything else.

That being said, one can easily spend $500 - $800 with any major manufacturer, and have a more than adequate instrument to play for the rest of your life.  Also, at that price point, most legitimate guitar stores will throw in or greatly discount the initial set-up process, in part because instruments at that price point tend to need less tweaking than the "guitar, amp, strap, cable, picks" box combo setups.  If not, and additional $100 or less should get it set up exactly how you wish., with the first years of adjustments  covered by manufacturer's warranty.

At this price point you should be able to get into nicer Epiphones, lower-end Gibsons, lower end US made Strats, etc.

If that is too much, Mexican made Strats and Teles are, with the exception of slightly soft fret wire, light-years better instruments than the "classic" years versions.  Better tuning machines, necks, etc.  Should be able to catch those on sale around $450 or $500, and good used ones are always an option.

All that having been said, my further advise is as follows:

NEVER less than a 20 foot cable, and 25 is better.  10 and 15 foot cables are only good for pulling your amp over and messing up the jacks on both the guitar and the amp.  You lose 4 feet of cable just reaching the ground when you stand up, plus however long the distance is from the floor back up to the amp. Spend the extra $ now for a longer cable - it will save repair costs in the long run.

ALWAYS buy a practice amp with at least a 10 inch speaker.  I know the cheaper practice amps have 6 and 8 inch speakers - they are like playing through a transistor radio.  Step up to at least a 10.  Bonus - most such amps also have at least 18 - 25 watts, which is enough for playing live in a small venue, provided the drummer isn't John Bonham or the like.  If you are on a budget, most major amp manufacturers have a "import" or bargain line - with Marshal, it was "Park", Fender had a line built oversees - can't remember the name off-hand.

ALWAYS buy an amp capable of at least approximating the kind of music you like.  If you want clean country twang, make sure the amp you buy can do that.  Likewise, if you are going to play metal, make sure the basic overdrive of the amp is at least usable.  If you have the $$$ to buy tubes, fine, but solid state is more than adequate for a beginner, and I played a solid state Fender M-80 Chorus live in two bands - cheap, rugged, and reliable.  Plus you can always throw a pre-amp in front of it.  If you ignore this advice, you will inevitably go down the road of buying stomp boxes, multi-effects, switching amps, etc.  Best if you can avoid or at least delay that, even if it costs a little more up front.  Try the amp with YOUR cable and guitar, with YOU playing it - the exact amp you plan to take home - not another one in the box.

ALWAYS get a hard shell case.  One that fits the guitar.  One nice thing about higher-end instruments is that they usually come with one.  If you some how end up with one that only has a chip-board case or a gig bag, a company called SKB, (I think) actually makes a lot of the cases for the OEMS - just scour Musician's Friend or your local music store, and get a hard plastic or an aluminum case.  It will protect the instrument a lot better than a gig bag, especially in transit.  Try to din one without sharp edges that can damage the finish when you put the guitar in the case, especially if beer may be involved and you might "miss" a little bit.  ALWAYS latch the latches - no point in putting it in the case to protect it, only to forget and try to pick up the case, and dump your guitar out.

ALWAYS put the guitar in the case when not using it.  Exception - QUALITY guitar stands or wall hangers, for short periods.   Your axe is safest in its case - left out, it is subject to being knocked over, stuff dropped on it, people tripping over the cable and pulling it off the stand, etc.

ALWAYS tune the guitar before playing and practice.  Digital tuners are cheap - train your ear to hear the RIGHT pitches, especially when starting out.

ALWAYS buy a quality leather strap.  No point in buying a $1500 Les Paul to dump it on a concrete floor with a $5 strap that popped off.  Quality doesn't necessarily mean "expensive", but you want the ends that slip over the strap buttons to be nicely thick and stiff, to protect the instrument from falling.  Straplocks are cheap insurance, especially for set-neck instruments - I use Scheallers, but Dunlops are good too.

I RECOMMEND professional instruction - see if you can get a moth of lessons thrown in for free when buying, if not, sign up for 3 or 4 months.  I still periodically take instruction, as well as having given it.  A second set of eyes and ears can help subjectively evaluate you, and prevent or correct bad habits.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:10:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Nothing bad about it...Bottom line is a better guitar will be more enjoyable to play and will sound better, which means you will end up playing it more.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
ALWAYS... SNIP...
ALWAYS... SNIP...
ALWAYS... SNIP...
View Quote

Excellent advice!  I think I learned everyone of those things the hard way.  Now with all the gear reviews on YouTube you can get a pretty good idea of the sounds available in an amp before you shop.  The only other thing I'd add is you don't need lots of watts.  In fact they get in your way playing at home if you are going to use power amp distortion.  (When I gig, I use a 4 watt tube amp and mic it into the PA.  But I don't play clean.  If country twang is your thing you will want some watts to project a crisp clean tone.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top