Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2016 11:28:01 PM EDT
So I'm getting back into playing guitar and putting together some nice gear. Back when I was playing seriously, rack-mount gear was the end-all, be-all for pro guitar gear. (well, that and full stacks) I had a nice SKB case with a Digitech 2112 effects processor and a Marshall Valvestate Pro 120/120 power amp hooked up to a pair of 2x12 Mesa Boogie cabs. I loved that setup. It had all the power and versatility I needed. So now I'm looking to put together a similar setup and there is almost nothing new available in rack-mount. I'm having to scour used gear outfits, enthusiast web forums and ebay for the stuff I want.

So why did rack-mount gear disappear from the market? Was it the grunge movement? High cost? Fucking hipsters?

Link Posted: 3/28/2016 12:34:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it's just starting a cycle. Grunge brought about a disdain for the flashy solos and excess. It may be turning a corner, since I see a lot of people calling for rack mount Strymon effects.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 3:00:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Powered speakers have gotten better and my back is thankful. If you have a big gig going down nothing beats rack mounted stuff.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 10:19:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So I'm getting back into playing guitar and putting together some nice gear. Back when I was playing seriously, rack-mount gear was the end-all, be-all for pro guitar gear. (well, that and full stacks) I had a nice SKB case with a Digitech 2112 effects processor and a Marshall Valvestate Pro 120/120 power amp hooked up to a pair of 2x12 Mesa Boogie cabs. I loved that setup. It had all the power and versatility I needed. So now I'm looking to put together a similar setup and there is almost nothing new available in rack-mount. I'm having to scour used gear outfits, enthusiast web forums and ebay for the stuff I want.

So why did rack-mount gear disappear from the market? Was it the grunge movement? High cost? Fucking hipsters?

View Quote

Huge racks are fucking heavy and expensive and painful to wire.

That said, if you need versatility, nothing beats them. I go back and forth between rack setups and simple pedal and head rigs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Lol!  I like amp sims!
Kemper, fractal audio etc.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Digitech 1101 and Control 2 for starters, there's plenty of rack mount gear out there.

I'm actually getting away from the pedal crap and moving back into rack mount gear.

Pedal boards can become quite heavy, and a flight case for my pedal board is $250, while the board itself was only $75.

Considering the cost of all of the pedals and crap for them, rack mount gear is much cheaper and easier to lug around.

I actually have an old Digitech 2112 and control one.

Link Posted: 3/28/2016 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Big racks (the electronic kind) fell out of favor when people discovered great tone! LOL!!!

At least it did in my case. I toured with a regional band throughout the '90s with a rack full of stuff. It was heavy and compared to the boutique tube amps that I've had since... it lacked tone. A great tube amplifier is designed with the pre and power amps working together to deliver optimal tonal characteristics. Using a hodgepodge of mix & match rack gear isn't always the best way to get great tone.

Also... another big factor in me moving away from rack gear was the endless tweaking and fiddling with parameters. Every time I'd play in a different room, my fingers would have to dance all over buttons to tweak my tones for the particular room that I was playing. I got SO tired of scrolling through menus and hitting "Save" a thousand times a gig. With simple tube amps and pedals, I may have to twist a knob here and there.. but they're mostly "set-it-and-forget-it".

I've been rack-free since the early 2000s and haven't looked back. Never will...
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Big racks (the electronic kind) fell out of favor when people discovered great tone! LOL!!!

At least it did in my case. I toured with a regional band throughout the '90s with a rack full of stuff. It was heavy and compared to the boutique tube amps that I've had since... it lacked tone. A great tube amplifier is designed with the pre and power amps working together to deliver optimal tonal characteristics. Using a hodgepodge of mix & match rack gear isn't always the best way to get great tone.

Also... another big factor in me moving away from rack gear was the endless tweaking and fiddling with parameters. Every time I'd play in a different room, my fingers would have to dance all over buttons to tweak my tones for the particular room that I was playing. I got SO tired of scrolling through menus and hitting "Save" a thousand times a gig. With simple tube amps and pedals, I may have to twist a knob here and there.. but they're mostly "set-it-and-forget-it".

I've been rack-free since the early 2000s and haven't looked back. Never will...
View Quote

Now you've done it!  

The best tone I've ever had was with this little setup, which was stolen from me.

Furman PC, EV Wireless, Digitech 2120 run through a Marshall AVT 150

I have a pedal board full of pedals and I hate it, I actually need a bigger one since I'm running tube amps and like to use the amps controller to change channels.

Then again a control one isn't the smallest controller for a rack mount effect unit, I'd rather have the Digitech 1101 as the controller for that is much smaller but it's about $800 for the setup.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Now you've done it!  

The best tone I've ever had was with this little setup, which was stolen from me.

http://s21.postimg.org/hbajoa09z/stolen_gear.jpg

I have a pedal board full of pedals and I hate it, I actually need a bigger one since I'm running tube amps and like to use the amps controller to change channels.

Then again a control one isn't the smallest controller for a rack mount effect unit, I'd rather have the Digitech 1101 as the controller for that is much smaller but it's about $800 for the setup.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now you've done it!  

I'm sure that your tone sounded great. Much of dialing tones has to do with the ear and skills of the dialer..

But I'm also sure that your rig could not compete in awesomeness of tone with the Friedman, Splawn, Bogner, VHT, Ceriatone, and other hand-wired tube amps that I've owned.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Grunge Music and the lack of guitarist that played solos through the 90's.

Racks were an expensive 1 time shot, where-as pedals you could get your effects 1 at a time for a $100 (more or less) a pop....even though pedal boards surpass most racks in cost by the time they get completed.

Pro Guitarist of the 90's wer slamming racks, Zack Wylde, Slash all the Grunge types....it wasn't cool anymore.

Then along came the neat little floor based processors....and then modellers...Even the cheapest rack system still cost more than the kiddie do all floor modeler.

I wouldn't say they were harder/more time consuming to program or connect.

My
rack box and cables are self contained. I pull out a mid cable with the
power to the floor controller, 2 1/4" cables for effect send/return and
a power cable for the whole thing.

If you use a pre-amp processor
and a power amp...then you are only pulling out the midi cable for the
floor controller and a power cord.

I am still a rack player....90% of the time.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 12:57:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I've always been a fan of Satriani and love his sound. That's what originally got me on the Ibanez and Digitech kick.

I just picked up this beauty today:

And I have an SGS 2112 on the way.

It was a good day.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 6:42:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm sure that your tone sounded great. Much of dialing tones has to do with the ear and skills of the dialer..

But I'm also sure that your rig could not compete in awesomeness of tone with the Friedman, Splawn, Bogner, VHT, Ceriatone, and other hand-wired tube amps that I've owned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now you've done it!  

Probably not, I can't afford any of that.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 6:57:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've always been a fan of Satriani and love his sound. That's what originally got me on the Ibanez and Digitech kick.

I just picked up this beauty today:

<a href="http://s1137.photobucket.com/user/cgrant26/media/20160328_233408_zpsmdvdkhzn.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n516/cgrant26/20160328_233408_zpsmdvdkhzn.jpg</a>

And I have an SGS 2112 on the way.

It was a good day.
View Quote

Looks nice! I had an RG270DX but I traded it for a Kramer Explorer type guitar, the neck was too thin for my gorilla hands.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now you've done it!  

LOL... I hear ya. My buddy runs a music store and gives me great deals... and a year to play while I pay, with no interest. That's the only way I could ever afford most of this stuff. I've known him for about 30 years and have been a loyal sucker customer... so he'll just send me home with whatever I want (or he wants me to have). I'm free to bring it back, or keep it. It's a pretty cool setup. Though it keeps me poor! My wife is thrilled about the arrangement as you can imagine.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#14]
It's just easier to plug straight into a head. Less fucking around with your gear and more playing that way.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is only speculation on my part, but I think that over time the gear manufacturers have been able to squeeze more features into a smaller space, which means the features provided by a rack unit from 15+ years ago are now built into other gear.

Mixers with more capabilities built into them have replaced many of the one-trick rack units such as dedicated EQ, dedicated reverb, dedicated compression, etc.
Powered PA speakers replaced the need for passive PA speakers driven by rackmount power amps.

Many people don't want to be tied to having all their eggs in one basket. If we look at a multi-effects unit, if you like effects A, B and C but think effects D and E suck, it isn't so easy to replace the effects you don't like when everything is all in one box. That being said, even multi-effects units are getting smaller, there are footpedals on the market today that can do everything a multi effects rack unit from 15 years ago did, and some of these new pedals will talk to a smart phone or tablet wirelessly (Bluetooth in the pedal, such as the Eventide H9 and Zoom BS-100, but those pedals only talk to Apple devices like iphone and ipadl) so you can tweak the settings without squinting at a tiny little LCD screen and doing a lot of menu diving.

There's still rackmount gear being made, but newer technology has shrunk the actual hardware required, allowing the gear manufacturers to move the capabilities of a lot of the older rack units into other places, such as into newer guitar amps, newer mixers and similar gear.

That's how I see it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 11:25:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is only speculation on my part, but I think that over time the gear manufacturers have been able to squeeze more features into a smaller space, which means the features provided by a rack unit from 15+ years ago are now built into other gear.

Mixers with more capabilities built into them have replaced many of the one-trick rack units such as dedicated EQ, dedicated reverb, dedicated compression, etc.
Powered PA speakers replaced the need for passive PA speakers driven by rackmount power amps.

Many people don't want to be tied to having all their eggs in one basket. If we look at a multi-effects unit, if you like effects A, B and C but think effects D and E suck, it isn't so easy to replace the effects you don't like when everything is all in one box. That being said, even multi-effects units are getting smaller, there are footpedals on the market today that can do everything a multi effects rack unit from 15 years ago did, and some of these new pedals will talk to a smart phone or tablet wirelessly (Bluetooth in the pedal, such as the Eventide H9 and Zoom BS-100, but those pedals only talk to Apple devices like iphone and ipadl) so you can tweak the settings without squinting at a tiny little LCD screen and doing a lot of menu diving.

There's still rackmount gear being made, but newer technology has shrunk the actual hardware required, allowing the gear manufacturers to move the capabilities of a lot of the older rack units into other places, such as into newer guitar amps, newer mixers and similar gear.

That's how I see it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's how I see it.

I think there is a lot of truth in that. Hell, the average smart phone today is way more powerful than the fastest desktops of the mid-late 90s. Still though, a rack with a multi-effects processor is still pretty convenient, even if it's a little heavy and bulky by current standards.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's just easier to plug straight into a head. Less fucking around with your gear and more playing that way.
View Quote

Amen! I like the Keep It Simple Stupid philosophy with gear. I don't even use most of my pedals anymore. Mostly just a wah, tuner, and occasional reverb or delay for a solo. The more crap I drench my tone in... the more it sounds like crap-drenched tone.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now you've done it!  

How do the electrons know whether they are traveling through a hand-soldered wire or a copper path on a printed circuit?
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Grunge Music and the lack of guitarist that played solos through the 90's.

Racks were an expensive 1 time shot, where-as pedals you could get your effects 1 at a time for a $100 (more or less) a pop....even though pedal boards surpass most racks in cost by the time they get completed.

Pro Guitarist of the 90's wer slamming racks, Zack Wylde, Slash all the Grunge types....it wasn't cool anymore.

Then along came the neat little floor based processors....and then modellers...Even the cheapest rack system still cost more than the kiddie do all floor modeler.

I wouldn't say they were harder/more time consuming to program or connect.
My rack box and cables are self contained. I pull out a mid cable with the power to the floor controller, 2 1/4" cables for effect send/return and a power cable for the whole thing.
If you use a pre-amp processor and a power amp...then you are only pulling out the midi cable for the floor controller and a power cord.

I am still a rack player....90% of the time.
View Quote

I have all of $100 in my Peavey TubeFEX and controller (plus batteryless mod parts and a variable control pedal).  It is a multi-effects unit, 3 tube preamp - and a tuner.  Pretty cost effective to me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#20]
For the same reason people stopped using analog answering machines and clunky phones all patched together with cords.

Just look at your smart phone (edit: I see the OP already did).  Replacing your old phone equipment is minor compared with everything else it does.

ETA2: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1853248_What_things_devices_have_smart_phones_killed_off_.html

Link Posted: 3/29/2016 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I think there is a lot of truth in that. Hell, the average smart phone today is way more powerful than the fastest desktops of the mid-late 90s. Still though, a rack with a multi-effects processor is still pretty convenient, even if it's a little heavy and bulky by current standards.

View Quote

Rack mounted gear is the exact opposite of convenient.  You just have a fetish for it, that's all.

And that's OK
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 11:19:38 PM EDT
[#22]
gear is getting smaller

I still have my Marshall heads and cabinets.  But....I play more with a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 36 into 2 H&K 1-12" cabinets.  Effects are a TC Nova system.  easy to transport, easy to set up.

the TC nova has built in delays, reverb, modulation, boost, etc.    I much prefer it to a huge rack system that in all honesty was more of a pain.

lots of players have gone to multi-effects units like the G System or Nova System.  

I am very tempted to add a Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister with built in effects..and ditch the TC Nova system.

they sound killer by the way

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 12:32:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Rack mounted gear is the exact opposite of convenient.  You just have a fetish for it, that's all.

And that's OK
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that's OK

I'll concede that.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 12:53:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How do the electrons know whether they are traveling through a hand-soldered wire or a copper path on a printed circuit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now you've done it!  

Some of the boutique amps that I listed are handwired to turret boards. And some are done on heavy PC boards. What matters to tone is the design, components, and build quality. I've owned and gigged just about everything in 33 years and you do get what you pay for generally.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

And that's OK
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that's OK

While there may be some truth to what you posted, there is the cost thing as well.

I like certain effects and my pedal board shows it, but I also have a little over $2k in my pedal board, which weighs 25lbs without the flight case.

I'm in the process of replacing some gear that was stolen, and I'll be right around $700 or less when finished, which may weigh 25lbs with everything.

I set my rack behind my amp, so it's out of sight, all you see is the controller for it and a crybaby, which is unique and you would he hard pressed to get that out of an effect unit.

It's about as basic as you can get, furman, wireless, tuner and a 2112 in a 6U rack. I still need a couple items, but with the pedal board as backup, I don't need them right away.

I do like the distortion from my amps, and my pedal as well, but the 2112 allows me to use a variety of distortion channels while an amp or pedal only gives you one.

Plus there's all of the other wacky effects that come with a rack mount unit so it's kind of a money saver. I'm sure I'll eventually get the Digitech 1101 and Control 2, but not right now, lol.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'll concede that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And that's OK

I'll concede that.

Hey, we all have our deal when it comes to audio stuff.

You have to consider the bigger picture, and the other forces driving the gear market.

An electric guitarist has to deal with one channel of audio.  Sure, it's convenient for him to carry a shallow, 4-6U plastic rack.

But let's say you have to deal with 32-48 channels of audio.  Traditional outboard gear cannot equal the processing power of a digital mixer.  That, and hard patching anything to and from a rack sucks!

I want to control as much as possible from one unit, and I want everythng soft patched.

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Mesa Boogie still makes/sells Rack Mount amps and pre amps

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Mesa Boogie still makes/sells Rack Mount amps and pre amps

View Quote

Rhodes/KSR also makes rackmount amps.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 12:27:59 AM EDT
[#29]
So what are your preferred used gear sources? I've been out of this game since 2001 and all I know are craigslist, ebay, guitar center and musician's friend.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 4:58:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So what are your preferred used gear sources? I've been out of this game since 2001 and all I know are craigslist, ebay, guitar center and musician's friend.
View Quote

GC used is good because you can easily return the gear, I've had great luck on ebay, but check out Reverb.com
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

GC used is good because you can easily return the gear, I've had great luck on ebay, but check out Reverb.com
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of the above, and pawn shops.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget Sweetwater Music as well. I've bought a lot of gear over the past couple of years on their 36 month, and now even 48 month 0% interest plan. I've also bought a couple of things from Zzounds.com.

And the places that I've bought the most [used] gear from are the guitar gear forums. I frequent Rig-Talk, The Gear Page, and the Seymour Duncan Forum in particular.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Goodies arrived today!

Ghetto-fabulous rig!
(or, how to make a shitty little Crate sound good at living room volume)

And a case for the S

And to keep the wife happy:

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Orange amps are rack mounted inside the enclosure.

The problem with rack mounted stuff is that it's very inconvenient. The vast majority of effects are not on all the time and having to run a bunch of cables to a controller is just annoying when i can have everything set up right next to one another on the floor and have minimal amounts of wire and tons of control.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:59:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Goodies arrived today!

Ghetto-fabulous rig!
<a href="http://s1137.photobucket.com/user/cgrant26/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160331_173155_zpsvrcn6v5i.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n516/cgrant26/Mobile%20Uploads/20160331_173155_zpsvrcn6v5i.jpg</a>

And a case for the S
<a href="http://s1137.photobucket.com/user/cgrant26/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160331_174902_zpsnxmh4m6d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n516/cgrant26/Mobile%20Uploads/20160331_174902_zpsnxmh4m6d.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1137.photobucket.com/user/cgrant26/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160331_175124_zps72nsshrx.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n516/cgrant26/Mobile%20Uploads/20160331_175124_zps72nsshrx.jpg</a>
View Quote

I used to have a RP20, and wish I still had it. Got lots of good tones out of that thing. One of those would be cool to have too.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:18:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Goodies arrived today!

Ghetto-fabulous rig!
<a href="http://s1137.photobucket.com/user/cgrant26/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160331_173155_zpsvrcn6v5i.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n516/cgrant26/Mobile%20Uploads/20160331_173155_zpsvrcn6v5i.jpg</a>

And a case for the S
<a href="http://s1137.photobucket.com/user/cgrant26/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160331_174902_zpsnxmh4m6d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n516/cgrant26/Mobile%20Uploads/20160331_174902_zpsnxmh4m6d.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1137.photobucket.com/user/cgrant26/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160331_175124_zps72nsshrx.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n516/cgrant26/Mobile%20Uploads/20160331_175124_zps72nsshrx.jpg</a>
View Quote

I have that same unit, did you get the controller with it? Mine needs new tubes, I had to order a set since the local Guitar Center sucks.  

Link Posted: 4/2/2016 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have that same unit, did you get the controller with it? Mine needs new tubes, I had to order a set since the local Guitar Center sucks.  

http://s29.postimg.org/mqywt5vav/0330161122.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Goodies arrived today!

Ghetto-fabulous rig!

And a case for the S

I just found a 2120 Artist with the foot controller included for a steal of a price. I'm going to keep the controller and sell the 2120 which should basically make the controller free. I also snagged a Rocktron Velocity 300 for the power amp. It's not the Marshall I want, but it'll do. Besides, I won't be playing anything but the garage and basement for the foreseeable future.

Oh, FYI, if you do use rack mount gear, Amazon has the Furman M-8LX power conditioner for under $70 Prime eligible.
http://www.amazon.com/Furman-Standard-Conditioning-Outlets-Spacing/dp/B0014598WQ
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I just found a 2120 Artist with the foot controller included for a steal of a price. I'm going to keep the controller and sell the 2120 which should basically make the controller free. I also snagged a Rocktron Velocity 300 for the power amp. It's not the Marshall I want, but it'll do. Besides, I won't be playing anything but the garage and basement for the foreseeable future.

Oh, FYI, if you do use rack mount gear, Amazon has the Furman M-8LX power conditioner for under $70 Prime eligible.
http://www.amazon.com/Furman-Standard-Conditioning-Outlets-Spacing/dp/B0014598WQ
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Goodies arrived today!

Ghetto-fabulous rig!

And a case for the S

Yea, I saw that after I bought a used one, pissed me right off.  

How much are you looking to get for the 2120? I might be interested in buying that for a back up unit. LMK

IM or email if you don't want to post a price here.

ETA: If your Control One or whatever controller you got for it craps out, keep in mind you can use a FCB1010 on the 2112, I think any of them, 2101, 2112 and 2120.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

How much are you looking to get for the 2120? I might be interested in buying that for a back up unit. LMK

ETA: If your Control One or whatever controller you got for it craps out, keep in mind you can use a FCB1010 on the 2112, I think any of them, 2101, 2112 and 2120.
View Quote

Good to know on the FCB1010. Thanks.

I'm waiting until I get the 2120 to decide exactly what to do with it. I was thinking about chip-modding the 2112 anyway so I might sell that instead. I'll IM you and give you first crack at it once I decide which one I want to sell.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm waiting until I get the 2120 to decide exactly what to do with it. I was thinking about chip-modding the 2112 anyway so I might sell that instead. I'll IM you and give you first crack at it once I decide which one I want to sell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, sounds good. Yea, I was looking at the EPROM upgrade that takes your 2112 to a 2120, they're like $15 on ebay, probably end up doing that myself, you get about 45 extra effects IIRC.

I appreciate it, I'm definitely interested in either one so keep me updated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#41]

I've been using this since 2000 or 2001.  I used it in several bands, have had it all this time, and still haven't figured out how to use everything it has available.

It made rack mounts obsolete, so I simply skipped over them.

Floor-based guitar effects processor/preamp with 32 effects
COSM™ preamp with vintage and modern guitar amp emulations, speaker cabinet and mic simulation
New Auto Riff triggers complete musical riffs from a single note
New Pickup Simulator produces fat humbucking sounds from a single-coil guitar or vice versa
Slicer and Feedbacker effects for interesting rhythmic/sustained sounds
Includes 12 analog distortion and overdrive effects
New EZ Edit mode for quick effects adjustment with four easy steps
New acoustic-electric guitar effects, including Anti-Feedback, Bi-Stereo Chorus (2 x 2), and Acoustic-Electric preamp setting
Sturdy, all-metal chassis built to withstand years of rigorous use
High-quality 24-bit A/D and 20-bit D/A converters for great sound

The acoustic simulator on it is pretty amazing.

The main thing I have chased with it though and never really found is that fat, thick, distorted guitar sound that is still tight, without the fizz of effects overriding the natural tone of the guitar and amplifier.

The GT-6 has much better distortion for sure in that regard, very angry, heavy, and aggressive, with a lot of meat and edge.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#42]
I have an ADA MP-1 and MosValve power amp that need work.
Anyone know of someone who works on these?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

http://img.audiofanzine.com/images/u/product/normal/boss-gt-3-975.jpg

I've been using this since 2000 or 2001.  I used it in several bands, have had it all this time, and still haven't figured out how to use everything it has available.

It made rack mounts obsolete, so I simply skipped over them.

Floor-based guitar effects processor/preamp with 32 effects

COSM™ preamp with vintage and modern guitar amp emulations, speaker cabinet and mic simulation

New Auto Riff triggers complete musical riffs from a single note

New Pickup Simulator produces fat humbucking sounds from a single-coil guitar or vice versa

Slicer and Feedbacker effects for interesting rhythmic/sustained sounds

Includes 12 analog distortion and overdrive effects

New EZ Edit mode for quick effects adjustment with four easy steps

New acoustic-electric guitar effects, including Anti-Feedback, Bi-Stereo Chorus (2 x 2), and Acoustic-Electric preamp setting

Sturdy, all-metal chassis built to withstand years of rigorous use

High-quality 24-bit A/D and 20-bit D/A converters for great sound

The acoustic simulator on it is pretty amazing.

The main thing I have chased with it though and never really found is that fat, thick, distorted guitar sound that is still tight, without the fizz of effects overriding the natural tone of the guitar and amplifier.

The GT-6 has much better distortion for sure in that regard, very angry, heavy, and aggressive, with a lot of meat and edge.
View Quote

The old Boss stuff was not very user friendly..but was freaking awesome if you could figure it out..I never had the patience.  

So when they came out with this I jumped.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top