Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2016 5:09:51 PM EDT
want 88 keys and full weighed keys. I've been looking at the Casio px 160 for $500.
Want it to play classical stuff and something My kids will be able to
use when they start taking lessons. any suggestions? thanks
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That's a good deal. I've been looking at that piano too. Most people are choosing the Casio over the Yamaha. Do you have experience with that piano?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:55:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been looking at digital pianos for the last month.  After cataloging all of the features, reviews, etc., I decided that the Yamha P-115 is the one for me.

Currently, playing a Yamaha P-80 that a friend lent to me to decide if it's really something for me to get into.  I'll probably drop the coin on the P-115 in the next month or so.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a friend who is an electronic piano/keyboard service tech.  He has great results dealing w/ Yamaha for parts and service manuals.  Casio is a thorn in his side when it comes time to get parts or help.  Based on his experience we went with Yamaha and are very happy 7 years later.  (no service required)

We went with the DGX-660 at a slightly higher price point.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#5]
i do hear that the yamaha s are built to last and with the casios its a hit or miss. I am looking for a long term piano too so maybe the Yamaha might be the one. They are usually $600 but many have said
you can find them on sale for $500 time to time.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:48:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Been through all that, ended up with a Yamaha GC1M.  Get the real thing if you can.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 4:40:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I went with the 142 Arius.  My research put Yamaha on top as well.  One day I'll get a grand... When my house, bank account, and kids are bigger.
View Quote
I think Yamaha is the best in the sub 2K range. After you pass this point there are other great electronic keyboards to look at. YMMV

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I went and did it.  I now own a (digital) piano.  

Went to a few stores and played around with each of the pianos in my budget range, and few outside of it.  I think my initial assessment was correct, for the price range you're looking at OP, the Yamaha P115 is the best bet.  

I really liked the way the keys on the Casio PX-160 felt, texture-wise, but I liked the action on the Yamaha far better.  They had a better feel and less wiggle to them.  IMHO, anyway, which may be biased after having been playing with a borrowed Yamaha P80.

Oh, and if I had more money for such things, I would have come home with a Nord.  
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 1:18:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I think Yamaha is the best in the sub 2K range. After you pass this point there are other great electronic keyboards to look at. YMMV  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I went with the 142 Arius.  My research put Yamaha on top as well.  One day I'll get a grand... When my house, bank account, and kids are bigger.
My wife has just started piano lessons and tried a bunch of electrics at GC in Houston. She felt like the Arius line was the closest to the feel of a real piano. We'll probably be getting one until we move and buy an acoustic.

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My wife has just started piano lessons and tried a bunch of electrics at GC in Houston. She felt like the Arius line was the closest to the feel of a real piano. We'll probably be getting one until we move and buy an acoustic.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think with digital pianos in this class, the three top things to evaluate models are action of the keys, sound, and polyphony.  Two of the three tend to be subjective with buyer (action of keys, and sound) on which they prefer.  But polyphony is not and if all being equal, get the digital piano with the most notes.  My preference is to be up in the 192 range.

Trying a bunch at the local music store is the way to go.  I'd go used if you can, but make sure the previous owners took care and covered it when not in use, and did not spill their coffee or coke on the keyboard.  Plus, non-smoking as well.  Smoke gets grime everywhere.

If you do eventually get a grand piano, around 6 foot is about the minimum for good sound at low and high end, imo.  The 5'3" and 5'7" versions of quality piano companies are very good, but the lows and highs really start to open up at the 6' mark from my experience.  Of course the manufacturers know this and the pricing really jumps at the 6' mark.  Most like to make their 6' model slighly over 6' which I anticipate is marketing.  I'd get a used, well-cared for piano at the 6' to 6'3" mark... doesn't matter whether it's Yamaha, Kawaii, Boston, or Steinway as that comes down to the player's preference.  Just pay attention to where it was made (US, Japan, or Germany... stay away from the Chinese and non-Japan countries).

A good first indication of quality is to check if the piano has a true sostenuto pedal.  The cheaper, low-end from Yamaha and Kawaii, for example, do not and are built in cheaper factories like Indonesia or China unlike their quality factories in Japan.

If you go used, hire a good piano tuner/repairman to evaluate the piano or buy used from a reputable dealer  Don't buy an old one.. try to stay within 10 years from current or so, unless you enjoy restoring pianos which is usually very costly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top