Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2016 3:25:39 PM EDT
Just curious, most here seem to play guitar, I was wondering if there were any woodwind folks here? I got a flute for Christmas on accident(not intended to be a gift at all, music came up and I was messing with it and they just said hey, take it) by a younger family member who bought one and couldn't pick it up.

Girlfriend is in school as a music edu major, she had to do a 10 minute lesson on teaching someone new to instruments how to play them. Second one I was volunteered to do was a sax and I loved it a lot. Easy to get a sound out, and I like the sound of it as well(nothing new, saxes are pretty neat instruments). So I may pick up a sax at some point just to mess with.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't, but my Mom plays a clarinet. A few years ago I found a really nice Selmer clarinet that's solid rosewood with silver hardware. Got it for $100. IIRC, that particular model was going for around $400 used at the time. I gave it to her for Christmas that year.

And that's the nice thing about you guys that play brass and woodwinds, it's easier for you to find a good deal than it is if you're a guitarist. Because most pawn shops don't have the first clue about what brass and woodwinds stuff is worth, other than a quick peek at fleabay, and lower demand keeps resale prices lower. But when it comes to guitars and related equipment, pawn shops are usually up on that stuff and tend to over price it.

ETA: Not a woodwind, but I did play a coronet (basically a big trumpet) in grade school.

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Been playing sax for close to 13 years. If you get a sax, do yourself a favor and don't get the lime green $199 ebay special.
Any questions you have, fire away.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 5:30:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Been playing sax for close to 13 years. If you get a sax, do yourself a favor and don't get the lime green $199 ebay special.
View Quote

Lol, not getting a lime green eBay special. But that's probably what I intend to spend to get a second hand one of some sort. Not sure what brands to look at though that would be in that price range for second hand instruments. Don't care if it's a little beat up, as it will be the learner one. I was hoping my gf would know someone that has one that she could borrow for a weekend and I could mess with(to make sure I would like playing it, a test run if you will) but no luck there.

Will probably be ready to get one this summer at some point.

I'm picking up the flute pretty damn quickly for learning it by myself, or at least I'd like to think I am. I realize sax and flute fingerlings are similar so I don't see why I wouldn't like it though.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote
I would love to learn how to play the sax. I just don't have the time to devote to it. At 56 years old and band obligations. I just got asked to play bass in a second band because their bass player is out with soon to be double carpal tunnel surgery. I love a good sax..

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Lol, not getting a lime green eBay special. But that's probably what I intend to spend to get a second hand one of some sort. Not sure what brands to look at though that would be in that price range for second hand instruments. Don't care if it's a little beat up, as it will be the learner one. I was hoping my gf would know someone that has one that she could borrow for a weekend and I could mess with(to make sure I would like playing it, a test run if you will) but no luck there.

I'm picking up the flute pretty damn quickly for learning it by myself, or at least I'd like to think I am. I realize sax and flute fingerlings are similar so I don't see why I wouldn't like it though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yamaha is a good brand. Not that I am biased, but I have a Yamaha Custom Z alto and YTS-62 tenor. You can look on Craigslist or ebay or in pawn shops and get decent deals if you look around.
Selmer is a good brand, pricey, but good. I think Selmer's student horns are sold under the Bundy label.
Vito is another student/intermediate level horn line. I have one of their beginner horns and I can attest that they are idiot proof <- See idiot
A good mouth piece/ligature and reeds will take you a good way too. A Selmer C* with a Rovner cloth ligature and Vandoren blue box 2.5 strength reeds are a good place to start.
Not the best pic, but here I am playing my Custom Z alto.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would love to learn how to play the sax. I just don't have the time to devote to it. At 56 years old and band obligations. I just got asked to play bass in a second band because their bass player is out with soon to be double carpal tunnel surgery. I love a good sax..  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I'm in 5 or 6 different bands on top of working a full time job. I'd love to learn to play something other than sax, guitar/bass or something, but like you, I don't have the time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#7]
You can't go wrong with Yamaha.  Their quality control is top-notch.

Here's the problem with becoming a really good sax player:  MONEY!

Most of the better sax players I know own an alto, a tenor, a baritone, a clarinet and often a saprano and a flute.  That shit adds up.

Of course, trumpet players own a Bb, a C, an Eb/D, a cornet and a flugelhorn and maybe a piccolo trumpet.

Trombone players only need a tenor and maybe a bass.

I play trombone.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You can't go wrong with Yamaha.  Their quality control is top-notch.

Here's the problem with becoming a really good sax player:  MONEY!

Most of the better sax players I know own an alto, a tenor, a baritone, a clarinet and often a saprano and a flute.  That shit adds up.

Of course, trumpet players own a Bb, a C, an Eb/D, a cornet and a flugelhorn and maybe a piccolo trumpet.

Trombone players only need a tenor and maybe a bass.

I play trombone.  
View Quote

You  got that right. Personally, if I had to choose between a soprano and a bari, I'd go with a bari. Sopranos sound like a tin horn.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:26:49 PM EDT
[#9]
This thread is dildos without videos.

Not so much seen as heard. I'm on bari.

Bari again, skinny guy closest to the camera.

How about a little alto action?

Forgot one, how about the only video I have of me playing soprano. Still think it sounds like a tin horn.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:53:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yamaha is a good brand. Not that I am biased, but I have a Yamaha Custom Z alto and YTS-62 tenor. You can look on Craigslist or ebay or in pawn shops and get decent deals if you look around.
Selmer is a good brand, pricey, but good. I think Selmer's student horns are sold under the Bundy label.
Vito is another student/intermediate level horn line. I have one of their beginner horns and I can attest that they are idiot proof <- See idiot
A good mouth piece/ligature and reeds will take you a good way too. A Selmer C* with a Rovner cloth ligature and Vandoren blue box 2.5 strength reeds are a good place to start.
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b499/Saxplayer1911/UM%20Band_zps4ltp6c9x.jpg
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b499/Saxplayer1911/Custom%20Z_zpssmy5rjta.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b499/Saxplayer1911/UM%20Band_zps4ltp6c9x.jpg
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b499/Saxplayer1911/Custom%20Z_zpssmy5rjta.jpg

Ahhh, yes, I have seen Bundy name around and at reasonable prices too. I was curious about them. Saw one in a pawn shop today actually, but they wanted 288 and it sounded clanky. Not that I am in a position to buy at the moment. Ill have to do some learning so when I am ready to buy I wont get screwed over and get something that needs work. Any tips for that? Things to look for when buying used?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ahhh, yes, I have seen Bundy name around and at reasonable prices too. I was curious about them. Saw one in a pawn shop today actually, but they wanted 288 and it sounded clanky. Not that I am in a position to buy at the moment. Ill have to do some learning so when I am ready to buy I wont get screwed over and get something that needs work. Any tips for that? Things to look for when buying used?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Student horns will sound clunky. You have to remember that those horns are designed for less than gentle people. I've had my student horn worked on by a damn good repair tech, and it still sounds clunky.
$288 isn't a bad price for a Bundy.
Things I'd look for:
Pads: Are they cracked or missing. A repad on a sax, at least through my repair tech will run $600-$650.
Neck: Is the neck bent? Is the octave key sealing over the hole in the top of the neck?
Octave key: Is it bent/not sealing?
Keys: Are they bent/missing/seized?
Body: Are there big dents/dings?
Bell: Is the bell bent/dented?
Bow: This is the part that connects the bell to the body. Are there dents here?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Do not, under any circumstances, buy a sax without having a really good sax player with you to evaluate the thing.  They have many moving parts and all those parts have to be correctly adjusted or you could be in for a very expensive overhaul.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do not, under any circumstances, buy a sax without having a really good sax player with you to evaluate the thing.  They have many moving parts and all those parts have to be correctly adjusted or you could be in for a very expensive overhaul.
View Quote

Truth. Had my tenor repadded almost two years ago. $650.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:58:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy balls! Did not realize how expensive it was to re pad them.
The only person I know that's got any experience with a sax is my gf, which like I said is a music education major. So they have had to take classes for many instruments. Not that that makes her any noteworthy sax player, but she has a better idea of it than I do. Guess I need to find a sax person here somewhere to give me a hand. Lol.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm more of a brass guy

Ending of our show in 2014

ETA:  And for you drummers out there

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top