Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2016 8:56:21 PM EDT
Found this at a local music shop the other day.

A 1959 Leslie Orpheus 25 without amplifier. It has the original AlNiCo 12 inch speaker and just a single speed but man, what a departure from the electronic effects pedal substitute.
Not only do you get the Doppler effect, but a stereo-phonic effect which seems to envelope you.
It's no wonder The Floyd had three on set.

It needs a good overall cleaning and some of the hokey home-brew wiring re done but I got it for next to nothing.
I'm already thinking of converting it to a two speed unit and adding the horns and driver as well as building a nice little tube amp for it.
Another BRD.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice, I used to frequent a pub that had live music once a week. Great musicians would show up, with equipment like this as well, some great tunes I've heard there.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#4]
As soon as I saw the wood cabinet, I knew it was a good score
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 1:56:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Cool.  Get you a Yamaha RA-200 next

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=416
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

There's one of those Yamaha speaker assemblies on Ebay. I was tempted but I'm not a carpenter and constructing a cabinet would be near impossible for me.
The Leslie is perfect as I can work on the innards and build an amp for it if I want. Re-finishing the cabinet may be in it's future but I kinda like the character it has now.

If anyone is wondering what I paid for it...  I have $40 and an hours labor into it. I traded a Fender Deluxe 90 SS amp I bought for $40 and repaired.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 4:28:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks to be in very good condition.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#8]
The speaker itself looks like new even though it's 57 years old. The cabinet has some issues like some white paint overspray and some very minor chips here and there, but nothing major. I'll probably try to clean the paint overspray off but I'm going to leave the character marks including the small cigarette burn.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:34:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There's one of those Yamaha speaker assemblies on Ebay. I was tempted but I'm not a carpenter and constructing a cabinet would be near impossible for me.
The Leslie is perfect as I can work on the innards and build an amp for it if I want. Re-finishing the cabinet may be in it's future but I kinda like the character it has now.

If anyone is wondering what I paid for it... I have $40 and an hours labor into it. I traded a Fender Deluxe 90 SS amp I bought for $40 and repaired.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If anyone is wondering what I paid for it... I have $40 and an hours labor into it. I traded a Fender Deluxe 90 SS amp I bought for $40 and repaired.

SCORE!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 3:24:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If anyone is wondering what I paid for it...  I have $40 and an hours labor into it. I traded a Fender Deluxe 90 SS amp I bought for $40 and repaired.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good score! its getting harder to find them.. people these days seem to
over value everything or are trying to manipulate perceived value...

Maybe hold off on that refinish.... not doing it is free and that original patina cannot be replaced...

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#11]
mmmm
Leslies

Have owned a  few, 122, 147.

Currently have a 145, got it from a rental house for a $100. still had an original alnico horn driver
( which gives them the proper "bark" and mind bending as these get blown up almost immediately) and
a 215, which is a 6x9 speaker in a rotating baffle, kinda homeowner stuff. wired it up to have hi/ lo speed and foot switchable.

Fun for jams, small foot print. Lacks the brake..

Been a hammond/  leslie junkie for years..
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Good score! its getting harder to find them.. people these days seem to over value everything or are trying to manipulate perceived value...

Maybe hold off on that refinish.... not doing it is free and that original patina cannot be replaced...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good score! its getting harder to find them.. people these days seem to over value everything or are trying to manipulate perceived value...

At this point I'm going to leave the finish alone. It just looks well loved and re-finishing it would ruin some of it's appeal.
A guitar playing buddy was over a few days ago and was blown away by the Leslie. Apparently he'd never played through one before and had just used an effects pedal for rotary effects. Now he wants a real Leslie.
I just had my small 5 watt homebrew amp into it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top