Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2016 9:07:19 PM EDT
I have been thinking of getting back into playing bass and was looking at the Jackson JS3 concert bass. Anyone have one or knows someone who does?   When i was playing years ago i had a '69 P-Bass and also a Yamaha and an Ibenez.  Thought about getting the Jackson and a Hartke amp.  Any feedback would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I suggest you take a few lessons from the local music store.  Your teacher is the best person to advise you on your instrument.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:31:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont need lessons, i played  bass for about 10 years but that was many years ago. All i am looking for is some feedback on the Jackson bass.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 12:07:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I've never handled a Jackson bass, but I'm a huge fan of their 6 string electrics. Their build quality is usually good. Even my cheapie Indian built JS King V is well built (same series as the bass that you're looking at) But if you want the best quality, look for a USA, a '90s through '11ish MIJ (made in Japan), or one of the newer MIM (made in Mexico) examples.

For years Jackson had their Pro Series made in Japan, and the factory that made them did a damn good job. Somewhere around 2011 or so (I don't remember the exact date), Fender (Jackson's parent company) ceased Jackson production in Japan and moved production of the Jackson Pro Series to their Ensenada, Mexico plant, which has been making excellent guitars for years.

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Jackson Performer Bass from the late 90's....Korean build.
Plays well sounds good, but I will say the Ibanez SG300 I have is better; lighter weight, deeper sounding, slimmer neck...

And as a guitarist...Jackson's are my favorite for metal & leads.

If you go Ibanez, stay with the SR (Sound Gear) series and away from the GI0 stuff (very entry level).

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've never handled a Jackson bass, but I'm a huge fan of their 6 string electrics. Their build quality is usually good. Even my cheapie Indian built JS King V is well built (same series as the bass that you're looking at) But if you want the best quality, look for a USA, a '90s through '11ish MIJ (made in Japan), or one of the newer MIM (made in Mexico) examples.

For years Jackson had their Pro Series made in Japan, and the factory that made them did a damn good job. Somewhere around 2011 or so (I don't remember the exact date), Fender (Jackson's parent company) ceased Jackson production in Japan and moved production of the Jackson Pro Series to their Ensenada, Mexico plant, which has been making excellent guitars for years.

View Quote

Really?

That I did not know.

I actually quit following Jackson (and moved to Gibson) when they gave the finger to Dave Mustaine when he offered to buy the company and instead sold it to Fender for less money.

The only post Fender Jackson I have is one of the SLATQX soloist models...nice guitar...I believe its Chinese (or Indonesian, I can't remember)....all my others (3) are Japan, 1 USA Soloist, and 1 Korean Dinky

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:52:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Fender owns Jackson. I personally don't like Jackson guitars but not because they are junk. I hate their necks. Same reason I don't like most PRS guitars. I would go and play the Jackson and see if you like it. If it speaks to you buy it. I like my P bass better than any of the others I have played. Everyone is different.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fender owns Jackson. I personally don't like Jackson guitars but not because they are junk. I hate their necks. Same reason I don't like most PRS guitars. I would go and play the Jackson and see if you like it. If it speaks to you buy it. I like my P bass better than any of the others I have played. Everyone is different.
View Quote

I just bought a second hand JS3 4 string today in damn near new condition.  Having been playing Washburns and Fenders let me say it's different and the quoted part is very true.  I kinda like it so far and the more I play with it the more I like it but it definitely has a different feel to it.  Just play with it and find out.  So far it seems well made and sounds great.  FYI, I gave $200 for it.

ETA: a quick group photo with some retro goodness

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top