Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2016 10:28:15 PM EDT
Told my guitar teacher I'd like to get into blues more this year.  
I need some songs to listen to.
Instrumental or songs with great solos or anything else you would recommend.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of different types of Blues. Listen Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Lighting Hopkins, B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Johnny Winters, on and on and on.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 10:50:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Acoustic or electric blues?  The styles are very different.

Either way... if you're looking for the roots of blues and where all of the various styles can trace lineage back... get some Robert Johnson recordings.

Get set to listen to some scratchy mono recordings that will blow your mind if you are willing to listen.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 11:49:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Electric, I like SRV but I definitely want to listen to others.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Albatross by Fleetwood Mac.

Great guitar instrumental.

Also, anything by Eric Johnson - particularly "Trademark," "Righteous," and "SRV."
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 3:05:42 PM EDT
[#6]
"Feelin' Bad Blues", Ry Cooder.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#7]
cant go wrong with Buddy Guy
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#8]
You mention SRV, so I'm guessing Texas blues would be your aim... I'd suggest listening to the following:

Robert Johnson
Clarence Gatemouth Brown
Albert Collins
PeeWee Crayton
Chris Duarte
Lightnin' Hopkins
Blind Lemon Jefferson
Blind Willie Johnson
Eric Johnson
Albert King
BB King
Freddie King
Jimmie Vaughn (Stevie's Brother)
T-Bone Walker
Johnny Winter

I'm willing to bet that many of those would inspire you.  BB King and Robert Johnson aren't really Texas Blues, but they are kings of the blues guitar.

SRV put an album out with Albert King... it's amazing.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#9]
If you're a metal guy, you can turn some Metallica stuff into songs with bluesy passages. The bridge in Master of Puppets comes to mind (in know, its not entirely instrumental), and the bridge in To Live is to Die is another example. Also some Soundgarden songs can be made more bluesy, such as Tighter & Tighter, and Head Down. Although these songs are more of a slow, melodic, type of blues, not traditional or in the modern electric blues vein at all. But if you're already into these bands, those songs could be a great segue into bluesy stuff.

For modern electric blues, I would look into the Tedeschi - Trucks Band.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 3:35:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Michael Burks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 4:19:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Red House/Jimi Hendrix
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Red House/Jimi Hendrix
View Quote

Gary Moore's cover of that is killer.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Red House/Jimi Hendrix

might order this dvd after payday....

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:18:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Acoustic or electric blues?  The styles are very different.

Either way... if you're looking for the roots of blues and where all of the various styles can trace lineage back... get some Robert Johnson recordings.

Get set to listen to some scratchy mono recordings that will blow your mind if you are willing to listen.
View Quote

Solid advice...
In the RJ vein... Listen to some Son House & Charley Patton stuff - some of the old recordings are God-awful, but the playing was (is) groundbreaking. Then take up some Lightning Sam Hopkins.

Following this pattern, check out some of the 60's recordings from John Mayall's Bluesbreakers - starting with early Clapton work, on songs like 'Bernard Jenkins", "Lonely Years" or "Blues City Shakedown", Peter Green's playing on "A Hard Road", or Mick Taylor on "Me And My Woman". When working-class Brits re-discovered blues music, the resulting scene that broke out produced some of the finest guitarists (and music) ever heard - and launched countless legendary bands & solo acts. Clapton, Beck, Page, Green, Richards, Taylor, Danny Kirwan, Rory Gallagher, Ronny Wood, Jimmy McCulloch - there were so many blues/rocks guitar Gods that arose from the British Isles, it boggles the mind.

Edit - someone said Gary Moore...
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I propose you a blues song that AC/DC made. Not instrumental only, it's naturally sung as well.
I covered it over the original track, swapping my guitar for Angus.

Have a listen and a look. Ain't no easy.

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I propose you a blues song that AC/DC made. Not instrumental only, it's naturally sung as well.I covered it over the original track, swapping my guitar for Angus.

Have a listen and a look. Ain't no easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SORPLj211ks

View Quote

Man, I love your SG videos... "The Jack" is another classic AC/DC blues tune - Angus is a Blues stud - who doesn't get enough credit, IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#17]
As far as Blues Guitar goes
I was told to learn Clapton
and it has served me well
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#18]
The Robert Cray Band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac649pX8lPQ
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all the recommendations.  I now have a ton of listening to do!
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Check out Gary Clark Jr, I like his "live" album and his older stuff, but his newest album, "story of sonny boy slim" isn't that good
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Thought the OP was looking for instrumentals?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top