Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2016 10:29:48 AM EDT
My wife was given an entry level Epiphone Les Paul style guitar.

She needs an amp for it.  Looking for something that will be good

enough to encourage her to  practice.

Any thoughts?

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#1]

This is the what I use and It's pretty cool.  I just picked it back up after a 30 year layoff.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on her music tastes

What music style is she into?
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Actually, she is a seventy-two year old
reformed hippie who likes Bob Dylan and Marshall Tucker.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Actually, she is a seventy-two year old reformed hippie who likes Bob Dylan and Marshall Tucker.
Seriously.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, she is a seventy-two year old reformed hippie who likes Bob Dylan and Marshall Tucker.
Seriously.

Not really Les Paul style of music.... What is your price range for an amp? Personally I would recommend something in the Fender Mustang line. The price range is easy on the pocketbook and they are good sounding amps. When you get to the III series they are great sounding amps.

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Marshall stack.

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm leaning towards a Marshall JCM800 with two 4x12 1960 cabs. Great classic tones that cover a wide range.

See if you can find a used Fender Super Champ XD. It's a really nice 1x10 combo with tubes, effects, and a wide selection of tones on tap. It is a great amp with some great tones!

And who says that an LP isn't right for Marshall Tucker or Dylan? Neck position on the switch with a good clean tone will go a long way here. "Can't you see" tones all day long....
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Something like a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and one or a few of the good preamp pedals out there these days. Bogner Ecstasy Red, Bogner Ecstasy Blue, EVH 5150, any of the Wampler pedals, ect, ect, ect. Just watch some demos on YouTube and figure out what you want. And it might cost more than the average Line6, Peavey, or other modeling amp, but a setup like that will blow a modeling amp out if the water.

Another good option is a lunchbox amp, such as the EVH 5150 LBX, something from the Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister series, ect.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 12:48:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you for the suggestions.

I've located a lightly used Fender Mustang 1 for sixty dollars.

We'll see how that goes for now

Now, I get to live with a 72 year old Dyan fan blasting away

on her first electric guitar....This might be a challenging few

weeks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 2:28:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Something like a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and one or a few of the good preamp pedals out there these days. Bogner Ecstasy Red, Bogner Ecstasy Blue, EVH 5150, any of the Wampler pedals, ect, ect, ect. Just watch some demos on YouTube and figure out what you want. And it might cost more than the average Line6, Peavey, or other modeling amp, but a setup like that will blow a modeling amp out if the water.

Another good option is a lunchbox amp, such as the EVH 5150 LBX, something from the Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister series, ect.
View Quote

The only modeling amp I've ever liked is my Fender G-Dec 3. I do really love my Boss GT-8, but that's kind of a different thing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

weeks.
View Quote

Good choice on the amp! It's no Marshall full stack but for $60 you can get some nice tones out of the Mustang

BTW, it's really cool to see a 72 year old picking up electric guitar! And yes, the strange sounds that you will hear over the next few weeks will be challenging to deal with! But all of us have been there (I've been on both sides....the budding musician and the person in the house that gets to hear a budding guitarist) and it gets better everyday!
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

weeks.
View Quote

Headphones.
/thread
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 11:06:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Congrats, I hope it works well!
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 5:17:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Good choice for a low dollar practice amp...headphones would be a second wise gift for the other half...
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 5:17:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I just got a Mustang 3 v.2 and it's badass
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a Superchamp XD for a while... tube rolled it... swapped speakers and still ended up parting ways with it a few months back.  It was certainly better than the X2, but it still was lacking something.  For a beginner, the Superchamp XD would be a great and very versatile amp.

I've been meaning to grab a Mustang series and see what I can wrangle out of it.  I'm seriously pondering the IV series head.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 4:13:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I had a Superchamp XD for a while... tube rolled it... swapped speakers and still ended up parting ways with it a few months back.  It was certainly better than the X2, but it still was lacking something.  For a beginner, the Superchamp XD would be a great and very versatile amp.

I've been meaning to grab a Mustang series and see what I can wrangle out of it.  I'm seriously pondering the IV series head.
View Quote

I like my Fender Superchamp X2
used for $200 not 400 new!

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Fender Mustang III.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I also have a fender mustang iii. Really nice amp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top