Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2015 9:28:12 PM EDT
The leader of a jazz band I play with always starts our gigs off with a blues.  He calls whatever key he feels like (usually Bb, G, Gb, F, Eb, Ab, Db or C) and pretty much everyone takes a ride.
Not yesterday afternoon.
He called “Blues in E” and counted it off.  Now, the key of E is pretty unusual, if not unheard of, in jazz.  It puts the trumpets and tenor saxes in the key of F#.  Alto and baritone saxes are in C#.  Few people are comfortable in those keys.  Certainly I’m not!
Instead of having lots of people wanting to solo, the guitar, bass, one trumpet and two pro-level sax players jumped in.  The rest of us plopped our horns on their stands and stayed out of it.
The audience had no idea what was going on, of course.  It was a damn short number.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:55:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Blues and E go together like peanut butter and jelly...I loves it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Fairplay,
Yep, E stands for "easy" on the guitar.  Not so much for Bb and Eb instruments.  
Try playing the blues in F# or C# some time.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#3]
My take on the blues is more of a "root note and to the right" approach. If I'm in G or higher I'll go down a position but not much. If I'm expected to play in E flat I'll just tune down a half step.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The leader of a jazz band I play with always starts our gigs off with a blues.  He calls whatever key he feels like (usually Bb, G, Gb, F, Eb, Ab, Db or C) and pretty much everyone takes a ride.
Not yesterday afternoon.
He called “Blues in E” and counted it off.  Now, the key of E is pretty unusual, if not unheard of, in jazz.  It puts the trumpets and tenor saxes in the key of F#.  Alto and baritone saxes are in C#.  Few people are comfortable in those keys.  Certainly I’m not!
Instead of having lots of people wanting to solo, the guitar, bass, one trumpet and two pro-level sax players jumped in.  The rest of us plopped our horns on their stands and stayed out of it.
The audience had no idea what was going on, of course.  It was a damn short number.
View Quote

Hmm....seems like we recently had a discussion over the merits of the ability to play by ear utilizing the understanding of chord structure. Would come in quite handy at times like these!
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 2:10:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
 Hmm....seems like we recently had a discussion over the merits of the ability to play by ear utilizing the understanding of chord structure. Would come in quite handy at times like these!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not yesterday afternoon.

He called "Blues in E” and counted it off.  Now, the key of E is pretty unusual, if not unheard of, in jazz.  It puts the trumpets and tenor saxes in the key of F#.  Alto and baritone saxes are in C#.  Few people are comfortable in those keys.  Certainly I’m not!

I concur..
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The leader of a jazz band I play with always starts our gigs off with a blues. He calls whatever key he feels like (usually Bb, G, Gb, F, Eb, Ab, Db or C) and pretty much everyone takes a ride.
Not yesterday afternoon.
He called “Blues in E” and counted it off. Now, the key of E is pretty unusual, if not unheard of, in jazz. It puts the trumpets and tenor saxes in the key of F#. Alto and baritone saxes are in C#. Few people are comfortable in those keys. Certainly I’m not!
Instead of having lots of people wanting to solo, the guitar, bass, one trumpet and two pro-level sax players jumped in. The rest of us plopped our horns on their stands and stayed out of it.
The audience had no idea what was going on, of course. It was a damn short number.

View Quote

That's all very true.  Sad to say, I don't know blues changes in those keys worth a crap!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top