Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2015 5:14:06 PM EDT
Any guitar players who do finger style and such versus pick strumming have suggestions for strings.  I am currently using Martin Med/Light strings because I like the sustain and deep bass.  I play some Dave Matthews stuff and much of it is bass heavy but often it is tough because many of the songs require a huge stretch of the fret hand which of course means the tough strings are hard to fret.  I can do it but if I could go lighter and still get the bass notes I would like it much better.  I have tried elixirs but they are expensive and I like to change my strings often to keep the sound bright.  

Suggestions.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 11:06:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I use 12s; Martin SP 92/8 Phosphor or Elixir Nano Phosphor.
Maybe try a thinner core string in the same gauge. They're supposed to feel lighter.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 1:02:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I use a mix of strings on different guitars. I play with my God given picks....all are 12ga first string. How is the setup on your guitar. Playing finger style will let you run a lot lower action than a flat picker can get by with. I have been kicking around the idea of a nylon string guitar.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I have D'Addario 11's on my acoustics.  

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DAddario/EXP26-Coated-Phosphor-Bronze-Custom-Light-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings.gc

The coated strings feel good and sound good.  The lighter 0.011 gauge helps with fretting on the high end, and I think the bass sounds pretty good on both (one is normal size, the other is a backpack.)  I have tried the ClearTone coated 11's and liked them as well.

The 0.012 gauges that I played before were ok.  There is a difference in the playability between 0.011 and 0.012, so I won't say that there isn't also a difference in the bass between the 0.052 and 0.053, respectively.  However the bass still has a very similar tone, and I think that the extra playability of the 11s make it a good choice.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Folk nylons, depending on how tight the top on your acoustic is.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:20:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Purchase the strings you think sound best. That's really it. I play 13's on a 24&3/4 scale but I always have a professional setup that ends up really low. I can play very fast single lines and comp with full voicings at fairly high tempos. I honestly think my instruments play like a shredders guitar. A set up by a real luthier is absolutely priceless.

Your stretches will be no issue if you adopt a more classical position and you will also gain a significant amount of "backpressure" if that's what you want to call it. It will improve your playing right away.

That said, I play Thomastic Infelds. They are the best sounding strings in the world. I also never change them because I am lazy and cheap so I can't really remember how long it's been since they did sound good. I'm even too lazy to pull them off and boil them. And I play hours a day usually. Probably time to buy a set.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have been kicking around the idea of a nylon string guitar.
View Quote

I would do it right now. I have an old cheap Yamaha that gets use depending on what room I'm in. I love the sound. I should upgrade some day.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I have gone to some light elixir P/B strings they help quite a bit.  I also learned through the hard knocks to use a classical hold for my guitar, I can get a better stretch and more arch in my fretting hand to avoid muting strings.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have D'Addario 11's on my acoustics.  

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DAddario/EXP26-Coated-Phosphor-Bronze-Custom-Light-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings.gc

The coated strings feel good and sound good.  The lighter 0.011 gauge helps with fretting on the high end, and I think the bass sounds pretty good on both (one is normal size, the other is a backpack.)  I have tried the ClearTone coated 11's and liked them as well.

The 0.012 gauges that I played before were ok.  There is a difference in the playability between 0.011 and 0.012, so I won't say that there isn't also a difference in the bass between the 0.052 and 0.053, respectively.  However the bass still has a very similar tone, and I think that the extra playability of the 11s make it a good choice.
View Quote

Exactly the same I use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top