Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2015 9:01:43 PM EDT

Link in case youtube link doesn't cooperate

What mod do you think Neil Geraldo is referring to here?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm guessing he's just talking about the value of the volume pot or the capacitor value on the tone pot to get a brighter sound.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:30:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Would you think a smaller cap would yeald a brighter sound, or the other way around?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#3]
He's more than likely talking about '50s style wiring. http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/lespaulwiring/. They're talking about Les Pauls in this blog post, but it can be adapted to single volume/single tone circuits too, since the difference is in how the tone cap is hooked up to the pots.

As far as how pots and caps effect the overall tone, in general terms, smaller value pots and caps muffle the top end more than larger value pots and caps. That's why you typically find 250k pots with a .022uf cap in a fender, while a typical humbuckers setup uses 500k pots with .047uf caps, unless you're looking at a Gibson, which typically uses 300k pots instead of 500k. But it can also boil down to personal preference, because some guys like 1m pots.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome.

Thanks dude, that's just what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#5]
No problem.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 6:07:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He's more than likely talking about '50s style wiring. http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/lespaulwiring/. They're talking about Les Pauls in this blog post, but it can be adapted to single volume/single tone circuits too, since the difference is in how the tone cap is hooked up to the pots.

As far as how pots and caps effect the overall tone, in general terms, smaller value pots and caps muffle the top end more than larger value pots and caps. That's why you typically find 250k pots with a .022uf cap in a fender, while a typical humbuckers setup uses 500k pots with .047uf caps, unless you're looking at a Gibson, which typically uses 300k pots instead of 500k. But it can also boil down to personal preference, because some guys like 1m pots.
View Quote

This is dead on.

Also... FWIW, 300k vs 500k makes a big difference in a Lester.
I put 500ks into my Standard and 300ks into my Studio... Very similar pickups but the overall tone is very different.

I have since rewired the Studio to 50s style wiring and it sounds great.

Those Duncan wiring diagrams have caused me to take an iron to several guitars.  I can honestly say the diagrams there saved my Studio Lester from the sales block... Saved one of my Melody Makers from being sold as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is dead on.

I put 500ks into my Standard and 300ks into my Studio... Very similar pickups but the overall tone is very different.

Those Duncan wiring diagrams have caused me to take an iron to several guitars.  I can honestly say the diagrams there saved my Studio Lester from the sales block... Saved one of my Melody Makers from being sold as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is dead on.

Thanks!

And yeah, Duncan has some great diagrams. I use them quite a bit too.

And for those that want to see what we're talking about, here's Duncan's wiring diagram page. Just choose what you want from one of the drop down menus and click submit.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Remembered one more handy thing. I keep this pic on my phone so I can figure out the color codes for different pickup manufactures.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 6:25:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome. Great info.

A bit scary thinking about some of the guitars I'd like to rewire though :)
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Remembered one more handy thing. I keep this pic on my phone so I can figure out the color codes for different pickup manufactures.
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc317/GoneShootin/PickupColorCodeChart-2_zpsapcmnjyy.png
View Quote

Very useful! Just saved it onto my phone as well.
Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top