Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2015 8:41:58 PM EDT
I love EL84 amps. I have never played through a Peavey classic 30 before. I have listened to a
boat load of You Tube vids on them but we all know how they work. Anyway I got a good deal on

one of the last Made In The USA Classic 30's in mint condition. What am I in for..

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#1]
You're in for a decent-quality, great-sounding amp that used to be the pinnacle in the quality/affordability equation for modern US-built combo amplifiers.  

I'll end up with the head version of one of these at some point.  They really are great, versatile amps.  Amazing that these were what, $650 brand new when they were US-built amps, now they're $800 for offshored ones instead?  Hartley Peavey has lost his mind.  I'd say that financial ruin was coming their way (worse than already, anyway), but then I remember how many people buy Behringer/Bugera products and realize that he'll probably make a fortune selling this stuff...

Nice score, though!  The only thing I've heard people complain about much is the stock speaker.  And that's just going to be a personal preference thing.  There are *pages* of speaker threads on various music forums, just for these amps.  And there's no shortage of great options...
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:58:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I just sold a Classic 30 a couple months ago.  It was a decent amp but in the end it wasn't the sound I was looking for.  I had replaced the stock speaker with a Private Jack and did the tube swap per classic30incincy on the Peavey forums but still didn't get me there.  I think they are good amps for the money, though.  Built like a tank, which also means heavy as all get out.  A lot of people like them and gig with them.   I still have the PJ speaker if interested (swapped it back to stock before I sold the amp).
Enjoy yours!

ETA:  changing out the speaker in those is a PIA.  You have to remove the chassis to do it.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:29:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice Amp!
Congrats!
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#4]
They're good amps for the money. I'd ditch that Blue Marvel, though. Creamback 65, G12H30, or G12T-100 speakers are all good candidates, imho. Or a Greenback 25 if you swap out the power tubes for JJ EL-844 tubes, they're half power EL-84s so it would make it safe to run a 25 watt speaker without having to worry if you're gonna fry it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They're good amps for the money. I'd ditch that Blue Marvel, though. Creamback 65, G12H30, or G12T-100 speakers are all good candidates, imho. Or a Greenback 25 if you swap out the power tubes for JJ EL-844 tubes, they're half power EL-84s so it would make it safe to run a 25 watt speaker without having to worry if you're gonna fry it.
View Quote

More options:
https://wgs4.com/classic-30-speaker
https://wgs4.com/peavey-classic-30-replacement
Some happy campers with the WGS ET-65, Invader 50, and G12C/S on the WGS board.  They're some good options for someone that doesn't want to do the $120-$150 per speaker thing.  I've got two Green Berets and two Reapers in my Avatar 4x12, and it rips along pretty well.  I can say that I'm very satisfied with both WGS models I have.  

If you want more of a vintage-ish sound, I'd also have no qualms about referring you to Weber.  They do make some downright fantastic Alnicos for not a lot of cash.  I've got a pair of their Signature 12S Alnicos in a Boger 2x12, and it's just one of my favorite speaker setups to date.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:16:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I spent some time with it today running my MIM strat. I must say it is a little harsh in the upper mids and the high end but that is a problem with the pups on the guitar to some extent. When I get some more time I will run it some with my American strat and my Les Paul to get a better feel for any mods I might want to do or if it trips my trigger like it is.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 8:26:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you want more of a vintage-ish sound, I'd also have no qualms about referring you to Weber.  They do make some downright fantastic Alnicos for not a lot of cash.  I've got a pair of their Signature 12S Alnicos in a Boger 2x12, and it's just one of my favorite speaker setups to date.
View Quote

I've used Weber in my last two re-speakerings.  I'm very pleased with em.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am thinking about a Weber Blue Dog ceramic. It seems to be the most recommended speaker replacement. The blue Marvel does not sound bad... it just does not have the magic. I had a Palomino with two Greenbacks in it that had the stuff on the clean channel. It had a problem with AC noise that only happened at my house and I could not record with it "I tried everything" so I traded it for a new Fender super champ XD.. The XD is a great little amp but it just doesn't have that EL84 vibe.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 8:28:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am thinking about a Weber Blue Dog ceramic. It seems to be the most recommended speaker replacement. The blue Marvel does not sound bad... it just does not have the magic. I had a Palomino with two Greenbacks in it that had the stuff on the clean channel. It had a problem with AC noise that only happened at my house and I could not record with it "I tried everything" so I traded it for a new Fender super champ XD.. The XD is a great little amp but it just doesn't have that EL84 vibe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AC line noise coming through?

Did you try a good power conditioner?  I borrowed a Furman AR-1215 from a buddy's studio and it solved the humm issues I was having when I moved into my current house.
I ended up buying one via TGP for about 300$... I power all my amps (and my pedal board) through it now.
Love that thing.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 2:21:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I never tried a real power conditioner. I tried filters and chokes to no avail. I also have an FM radio tower a half a mile from me that comes in real clear on a lot of my equipment if I run it in my house. I took a part of my pole barn and made a studio/workshop. It has steel sideing and I used foil faced foam board as well as fiberglass insulation. This has helped to eliminate the radio interference problem. I think I might be able to get through this next project for our band without an unwanted backup group.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 5:54:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I never tried a real power conditioner. I tried filters and chokes to no avail. I also have an FM radio tower a half a mile from me that comes in real clear on a lot of my equipment if I run it in my house. I took a part of my pole barn and made a studio/workshop. It has steel sideing and I used foil faced foam board as well as fiberglass insulation. This has helped to eliminate the radio interference problem. I think I might be able to get through this next project for our band without an unwanted backup group.
View Quote

I had an issue with picking up AM broadcasts... One of the largest AM transmitters in the Midwest is a few miles from the house.  The power conditioner solved my problems.

It was kinda neat to listen to the American Trucking Network through a Twin Reverb, but it is neater to listen to a Strat or Lester through it without commentery from Monkey Gouger or whatever that dude calls himself.

I would suggest you find a power conditioner nearby to borrow, or perhaps a dealer with a liberal return policy, as they ain't cheap.

I don't see my rack ever being without one again.  Line noise and interference issues gone. It also quieted down some amps I assumed would always have a hiss... My blackface Champ and Bassman are dead silent at idle now... Both used to hiss noticabley.

Come to think of it... What part of OH you in?   If your near me, you can borrow mine and give it a whirl.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 2:26:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I am up in the far northwest corner of the state. Sweetwater is about a 50 min drive for me if traffic isn't too bad in Fort Wayne IN. Toledo is a 70 mile drive to the Zoo. I guess there is a big GC in Toledo but I have never been there. They have a GC in Fort Wayne too but Sweetwater has it out classed by a mile.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am up in the far northwest corner of the state. Sweetwater is about a 50 min drive for me if traffic isn't too bad in Fort Wayne IN. Toledo is a 70 mile drive to the Zoo. I guess there is a big GC in Toledo but I have never been there. They have a GC in Fort Wayne too but Sweetwater has it out classed by a mile.
View Quote

I envy the folks that live near Sweetwater, because they're hosting Bruce Egnater amp building classes later this month.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I envy the folks that live near Sweetwater, because they're hosting Bruce Egnater amp building classes later this month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. I posted a link to it in GD in a roll your own black face thread. If I had the $2500 to spare I would sign up.

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wrong end of the state for me to offer to lend you my Furman to try out then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top