Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2015 2:18:48 AM EDT
Anyone build one? How did it work out? What pedal would recommend for a first timer. I was going to get the Overdrive 2 and maybe the Mega Chorus and Vibrato. Let me know your thoughts!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I started with the confidence booster to get the hang of soldering, then on to a rat clone. Next I'm doing the big muff clone. I haven't used the rat much since I use amp distortion mostly, but it works great.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:03:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I started with the confidence booster to get the hang of soldering, then on to a rat clone. Next I'm doing the big muff clone. I haven't used the rat much since I use amp distortion mostly, but it works great.
View Quote

Was it pretty easy to get the hang of soldering? How many hours did it take to make the first pedal?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I would read up on and/or watch some YouTube videos on the basics of solderig. It's not too hard.

I cut my teeth fixing solder joints in a pos Cobra 29 that I used to have in one of the trucks I drove. But I already had an idea of what to do since I had brazed with a torch before and had watched my Dad solder when I was a kid.

As far as what I think you should do? Build a clone of a Zvex Super Hard-On (SHO). It's just a basic volume boost and doesn't have too many components. Not sure if BYOC offers something like that or not.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I have sort of being toying with the idea of making a pedal myself because I am addicted to phase pedals.  I have a small collection of them, and I thought it would be cool to make my own.

They are really the only pedal I use other than a wah.  

Soldering isn't too bad.. As others have said youtube will give you a good start.  I have built lasers in the past that require a lot of connections to be made.  After I practiced on a few scraps of wires and pins I got the hang of it.  

Let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:25:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Was it pretty easy to get the hang of soldering? How many hours did it take to make the first pedal?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought a good Hakko iron, so soldering came pretty quick. The rat clone took me about 6 hours total. Most of that was learning how to hold components and wires steady for the iron.

Link Posted: 8/6/2015 4:19:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought a good Hakko iron, so soldering came pretty quick. The rat clone took me about 6 hours total. Most of that was learning how to hold components and wires steady for the iron.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did you do it? I saw one guy using plastic clay to hold the bits together and another was using regular old tape.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How did you do it? I saw one guy using plastic clay to hold the bits together and another was using regular old tape.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google "soldering helping hands"
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I built the rat clone a few years ago. Turned out good and sounds good. The first pedal I built was a P45 phase shifter from General Guitar Gadgets. That thing sounds great!!! It's like a Phase 90, but a little more subtle and useable; not so extreme. Also, GGG gives you all different colored wire, which was nice; whereas the wire I got with the BYOC kit was all blue and white. That was a long time ago, so I don't know what they give you now. You definitely need a "third hand" soldering vice. I have a GGG tube screamer clone that I bought shortly after building the P45. I'll get around to building it some day. Go to the GGG site or Youtube and look up the demo videos of the ITS8 OD pedal. That thing sounds pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:27:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I just built the DSOTM Fuzz kit from pedalpartsandkits.com

I messed up the LED, somehow and it doesn't light. But the rest works just fine. Learned a whole bunch about the process and will definitely make another. I have a delay kit on my bench now and a tremolo I'm going to order soon. It's good times. I would love to build a Rat or an OCD clone. Or both.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:18:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just built the DSOTM Fuzz kit from pedalpartsandkits.com

I messed up the LED, somehow and it doesn't light. But the rest works just fine. Learned a whole bunch about the process and will definitely make another. I have a delay kit on my bench now and a tremolo I'm going to order soon. It's good times. I would love to build a Rat or an OCD clone. Or both.
View Quote

May be a simple as having the LED backward.  Try swapping the wires connected to the LED, or flip it around on the board if you soldered it do a board.

First one I built was a Klon clone.  Sounds good, works well... Has been replaced by a boutique Klone that sounds better.

Thinking about a RAT clone, the rat is a pedal I feel like I SHOULD at least try... Might as well build my own.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 12:34:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Crazy thing- once I put it all together in the enclosure, it works just fine. Light lights, changes color, everything. So weird.

I started the trem pedal last week. And today I put the f'n LED sockets in on the wrong side. AGAIN. I just don't learn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top