Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2015 3:49:57 PM EDT
I came into a large quantity of NOS tubes.  Mostly Westinghouse 6L6GB Made in England and Westinghouse 5U4's made in USA.  They are not counterfeits because I got them from a power generation station that had been shuttered for almost twenty years and they were for equipment that had long since been replaced.  I do not have the original boxes as they were sorted and put into numbered bins.  I know that the rectifiers in a lot of Boogies are 5U4's and 6L6's are the power amp stage standard for a lot of brands and models.  I think there is a few RCA's of some sort in with them and a couple other brands.  I have to clean them up, they have decades of dust on them.  BTW, when I say a large quantity, I mean a garbage bag half full.  

I need a tube tester to make sure there are not any bad ones.  And I plan to keep a few spares for myself and sell the rest.

I am not an expert by any means so tell me what I need to test them and what is a fair price to sell them for.  I have seen Westinghouse 6L6's go from $20-$60 online.  

TIA
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 4:16:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I came into a large quantity of NOS tubes.  Mostly Westinghouse 6L6GB Made in England and Westinghouse 5U4's made in USA.  They are not counterfeits because I got them from a power generation station that had been shuttered for almost twenty years and they were for equipment that had long since been replaced.  I do not have the original boxes as they were sorted and put into numbered bins.  I know that the rectifiers in a lot of Boogies are 5U4's and 6L6's are the power amp stage standard for a lot of brands and models.  I think there is a few RCA's of some sort in with them and a couple other brands.  I have to clean them up, they have decades of dust on them.  BTW, when I say a large quantity, I mean a garbage bag half full.  

I need a tube tester to make sure there are not any bad ones.  And I plan to keep a few spares for myself and sell the rest.

I am not an expert by any means so tell me what I need to test them and what is a fair price to sell them for.  I have seen Westinghouse 6L6's go from $20-$60 online.  

TIA
View Quote
I remember when most every drug store or hardware store had a tube tester and sold tubes....sorry OP I just had to tell it.

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I remember when most every drug store or hardware store had a tube tester and sold tubes....sorry OP I just had to tell it.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

TIA

I remember the same thing.  We had this big console TV and at least once or twice a year, my dad would be in the back of it swapping out tubes he would get at the hardware store when it would quit working.  It was a combination TV, record player and AM/FM stereo.  It sounded really good and would take a few minutes to warm up.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Look online for info on tube testers.  It's been a while since I've researched but there are two difference levels of tube testers, one that tests the tubes as they would operate and one that doesn't test the tubes at the same levels they operate at.  I don't know the specific brands and models to look for but the info is all online.  I do know my tube tester is of the lesser kind and it has missed problem tubes in the past.   If I have a problem with an amp, I test the tube but don't trust the results if my tester says "good" and I'm pretty sure by the symptoms it is a tube problem.

If you don't want to go through the trouble of marketing them yourself there are a few folks that take large quantities and test and sell them.  IIRC one name is Sargent Overdrive.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:02:14 AM EDT
[#5]

6L6Cs are the main amp tube  6L6GB are a 19 watt 360 volt tube.  If they are a 6L6WGB, then they are a straight swap for 5881 (military designation) and they are used in a lot of "small bottle" 6L6 amps  - still only 23 watts as to the 30 a true 6L6GC kicks out.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:28:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Check local ads. You'd be surprised at how many tube testers are out there for sale.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top