Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2015 5:00:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#1]
You didn't get any replies, so I thought I'd ask if you were only interested in a hardware type device. It may be that no one here has any experience.

If you are open to the computer end, I bet we can point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:38:15 PM EDT
[#2]
You need to be more specific OP. 4 track recorder covers a lot of ground. To start off how many tracks do you need to record at the same time? What is your budget? Do you need phantom power onboard? Do you just need a control surface for your computer?
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Phantom power is used by some microphones and can be supplied through the mic cable from the mixer/track recorder.
<--not an expert.

That said, I use a Behringer  Xenix 1202 mixer into a Behringer USB adapter to the computer running "Audacity" as the "recorder". Behringer also has the Xenix mixers with the USB adapter built in.
<--amateur/beginner guitar hacker.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:37:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Open to either a stand-alone device or PC-based system.  

One track at a time (it's just me).

Budget: Maybe a couple hundred bucks?

I don't know what phantom power is and how it applies to this.

View Quote

I think you could grab Reaper, and a simple interface and be running well within your budget.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:15:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Thanks, guys.  Now I'll start sorting through these tips.

View Quote

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I've been recording music as a hobbyist for about 8 years and am starting to make money at it (mixing and local instrument work). I have a decent idea of how to work around DAW's, microphones, etc.

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I was also going to recommend something like a USB Audiobox. I just got the one below a few months ago and I enjoy it.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBox22

The only "difficult" part is learning the software if you're not familiar with it. It was my first time using any sort of recording software but it's not too hard to get used to it. Now that I know it it's pretty quick.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#10]
There are bunches of youtube vids for learning reaper, if you do decide to go with it.

I think there's a 30 day free trial too, if you want to try it out with your pc soundcard.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:23:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

There are bunches of youtube vids for learning reaper, if you do decide to go with it.

I think there's a 30 day free trial too, if you want to try it out with your pc soundcard.
View Quote

The program is like mIRC. It has a 30 day trial and, after that, you can use it after waiting 5 seconds. You don't, however, get updates and you can be sued for using it if you make any $$$ from it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Like others said, get Reaper for your computer, and then get an interface. Scour Craigslist for one, they pop up all the time. Heck, you may even be able to score a USB mixer for cheap.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 4:13:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd gladly help with any questions you may have with reaper. Some amazing features aren't as easily found compared to other DAWs, but I think it has a more complete set of features as well as easier to use built in plugins than anything else on the market.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Update?

How'd you do?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Zoom has a good quality digital multi-track recorder....and It's pretty easy to use.

Comes with Cu-Base you can use for mixing.

Trust me...what ever you think you need...triple it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top