Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2015 10:56:09 PM EDT
I've been drumming for 35 years now.

Got a wild hair up my ass to learn bass.

The singe/bassist in my band, who also can play drums thought it would be fun to switch places on gigs.

Looking at bass guitars, I think I'd like a jazz bass.

I don't want something to spendy, but not low end beginner either.

Any recommendations?

Also looking at good study material.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 11:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually, you can find some decent basses for pretty damn cheap if you look around for a used one.

I have a Peavey Milestone V that I picked up for $120. It's not top of the line by any means, but it plays nice and sounds good for what I paid for it. And the bass that my old band uses is a '90s import Washburn with Washburn branded active pickups. Again, not top of the line, but pretty good for what it cost (can't remember what my drummer paid for it, but it wasn't much).

Those are just a couple examples. Hit the pawn shops & Craigslist and see what you can find.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I am old school..Fender P bass or go home.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Close.

Found a good deal on a Fender Geddy Lee jazz bass.

Now, any suggestions on learning materials?
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 4:00:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Close.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Close.

Learn some Rush! Here you go!

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 12:55:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Switching off is always a crowd pleaser.  My brothers can both sing/play drums and they'll switch off from time to time in their band (mid-song yeah!).

I have zero bass experience, but if I was going to buy one, and I've been tempted from time to time, I'd buy a Chapman MLB-1.  You get the combination of having something almost no one else has combined with the quality stuff those little old Korean ladies are making.  I don't know if you want to spend $750 for the novelty, though.  There are probably really good, cheaper options that the bass players here could offer up.

I have one of their guitars (ML-2) and it is fantastic.  I'm a rank beginner guitar player and don't have many guitars to compare it to (2013 Gibson SGJ, made in America, and an Ibanez S520, made in Malaysia I think) but it is as good or better than either of them, especially the fretwork.  You run your hand up the side of the neck and you wouldn't even know there were frets there if you weren't looking at them.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Here she is:

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:20:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 5:28:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Here she is:

View Quote

Nice, here's mine, a Washburn XB100(cheapo but plays good, I'm still kinda new but am learning and playing a bunch of full songs already)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top