Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2015 2:16:14 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm brand new into the guitar world.  I got my first guitar last week, a Fender DG-7 acoustic that I traded a $25 bottle of scotch for.  A couple days ago I stopped by a local music store and walked out with an Epiphone Les Paul Special II LE, in a kit with a small amp, strap, cable, etc.  Picked up Rocksmith 2014 as well, and I've been annoying the wife, son, and cat with the noise I've been making.  I suck, but I'm having fun.

I was on the local craigslist and saw a Fender Straight Six Stratocaster, made in Mexico with a Crate FW15 amp, for $350.  The ad said it still has the plastic on the pickguard, so I assume it hasn't been played too much.  Is $350 a fair price for a MIM Strat?  If not, what is?

Thanks!

medic_man
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the suggestion to look at the MIMs at Guitar Center or somesuch is a good one.  You'll find a much larger selection, and even if your local store doesn't have what you want, the other stores will ship it to your store.  If you buy one you have 30 days to return it for full refund if you don't like it.  That's a great way to pick up a used guitar if you don't know much.  It's actually not that hard to find one for less than $300 but you may have to pay some shipping charge.  I wouldn't get too excited about the Crate amp.  You can do better than that, even for a first amp.  

As for that straight six strat, honestly that's the first time I've even heard of that model.  From the pictures it looks like the assembly line guy fell asleep and forgot to put the rest of the pickups and knob on it!  Used Fenders are all over the place.  Be selective--it's a buyers market right now.  You can also check out Reverb.com and the emporiums at strat-talk.com or thegearpage.net .  Lots of good deals out there.

Congrats on getting started--it's a lot of fun.  Stick with it and you will be so glad you did.  

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Good deal, guys. I'll pass on the Fender. And thanks, it's been fun already!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#4]
stick with your Epi for a while, plenty of guitars out there
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 3:23:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Deals are out there. I picked up a mint  MIM strat back in Feb. with a nice hard case, two really nice cords, two straps, 10 new packs of high end strings of different makes and two tuners for $350 shipped.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 6:27:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd suggest playing the hell out of your Epi until you know better what you want from your instrument.
Perhaps even invest in a professional setup of your guitar... (warning, might cost as much as the guitar) to maximize its playing ability for you.

I troll the heck out of the used section at the local music shops... Landed some amazing deals by going regularly and being ready to jump.
Reverb.com is my most recent addiction... Only amps and pedals so far, but I think I need a Tele and maybe a Lester Jr....
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the advice, guys!  I've been playing until my fingers hurt, and then a little more.  Still no good at it, but I'm having a great time!
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for all the advice, guys!  I've been playing until my fingers hurt, and then a little more.  Still no good at it, but I'm having a great time!

View Quote
Out of curiosity, are you taking lessons of some sort?  Rocksmith is fun and you can learn a lot of songs, but you won't learn many fundamentals.

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, are you taking lessons of some sort?  Rocksmith is fun and you can learn a lot of songs, but you won't learn many fundamentals.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As soon as things settle down at home, I'm going to find some local lessons. We just had a baby girl Sunday night, have a 3.5 year old, and are doing some home remodeling and vacation soon. So once fall comes, I'm going to do the lessons.

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#10]
That's awesome!  Congrats on your baby girl!  Sounds like some guitar playing is just what you'll need for some relaxation.  Have fun with everything.
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats on the baby girl, and good luck!

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#12]
The plastic on the pick guard mean nothing unless you can see scrap marks on it that showed the guitar was used for a while.

Anyway you want a good guitar for the money? How about USA made strat for $439 brand new?

Get a can of poly wipe or tung oil, wipe the wood and assemble. Everything fits to a tee. Well made.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/kits/gk1

This is my Bolt kit guitar on the right and I bought it with some goodies upgraded. The left is my Carvin DC127.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The plastic on the pick guard mean nothing unless you can see scrap marks on it that showed the guitar was used for a while.

Anyway you want a good guitar for the money? How about USA made strat for $439 brand new?

Get a can of poly wipe or tung oil, wipe the wood and assemble. Everything fits to a tee. Well made.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/kits/gk1

This is my Bolt kit guitar on the right and I bought it with some goodies upgraded. The left is my Carvin DC127.

http://s25.postimg.org/7nmebgalb/S5030148_2.jpg
View Quote

Nothing wrong with that, except if a new player decides he doesn't like his used MIM Fender, he can resell it for pretty much what he paid.  If he buys a Carvin kit for $439, he'd be lucky to get half that back a week later.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#14]
True but he's got to want to sell it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Once I get more comfortable playing, then I'll consider a kit. It looks like a hell of a project for my son and I to do.

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Fair enough. They are sweet.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's a great deal on Reverb.com:
http://rvrb.io/2012-american-stan-apf
$800 for an American Fender with free shipping is a steal.  It is also a 2012 which has the Fat '50s pickups which I really like. I don't think it will last long at this price.  

I was tempted to buy it just because it's a great deal, but I thought I'd throw it out here for the guitar shoppers...

ETA:  I have no stake in this sale.  Just putting it up there as a PSA.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I haven't found many American Strats that I liked the sound of personally... Just my opinion though.   There are some good ones, but I think you really need to play them first to see if you like the sound.  

I prefer older Japanese made Strats. You can find them all the time for $500 or less.   I have one with the custom '69 pickups in it.  It wasn't in good shape when I got it, but once I had it set up it played like a dream.  My favorite strat I have ever played by far.  

Nothing wrong with the other Strats if you find one you like. Just thought I would mention a cheaper option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top