Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2015 1:13:20 PM EDT
recommendations?

have a 70's acoustic Yamaha 12 I want the neck adjusted a bit..if it's adjustable. Maybe new nut and bridge..
and

I am returning to playing after 40 years..

yeah 40 years

and once upon a time I favored Martin SilkNSteel strings. Still around? If not, what's comparable.??
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#1]
First take your guitar to a luthier and see if it is worth putting time and money into. After 40 years it may or may not be worth it. Martin still makes silk and steel strings.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First take your guitar to a luthier and see if it is worth putting time and money into. After 40 years it may or may not be worth it. Martin still makes silk and steel strings.
View Quote

True all around... 70s Yamahas were pretty good quality (for an import), I bet if it was stored properly it'll be fairly easy to put back in order.

I don't know about the DFW area, but I bet you can find a good luthier pretty quickly in a metro that size.  Ask around at guitar shops other than the big chains for recommendations.  Sometimes, good luthiers even work through the chains... For instance, a really good one works though the Sam Ash near me... No where near DFW though.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:07:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I have nothing to add, but going luck, man!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top