Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2015 4:38:32 PM EDT
I'm a retired mechanic.I am where I'm getting old and disabled from years of heavy lifting. My fingers are like sausages, just useless for fine dexterity. I have two custom made guitars sitting in the cases collecting dust and I haven't played for a few years.

Every time I put an ad for sale I chickened out and pulled it later. I did that several times. WTF is wrong with me? I'm not gonna die and leave 'em to some jerks in the family.

SIGH.

That ever happen to you?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#1]
When I switched from trumpet / cornet / flugelhorn back to trombone where I belong, I sold off my best, most expensive horns.  It hurt, but it would have been worse leaving them in the closet, unplayed.  The guys who bought them love them and play them all the time.

I still have some vintage horns from the teens, 20s and 30s.  I tell myself they're collectables.  

My wife doesn't agree.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I have some very nice guitars, amps, guns, and other collectibles I've had for decades that I'm just now selling off because of my divorce. I always dreaded I might have to, but it's less painful than I imagined it would be.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:14:33 AM EDT
[#3]
There have been times I've had to sell stuff for financial reasons, and yeah, it sucked.

But you know, Zakk Wylde has huge fingers and still shredds it up, so there's hope for ya.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I sold a lot of stuff over the years dues to a crazy wife and the subsequent divorce. It sucked. High end guitars, amps, consoles, mics, etc....10+ years of saving, scrimping, eating Raman noodles to buy that stuff....and it's all gone. But such is life I guess.

Today, I am super fortunate to have an incredible wife that has no issue with me buying new gear. But now I feel guilty due to having some great instruments sitting on stands, hanging on the walls, or stowed away in cases not being played as they should be. My wife doesn't even like it when I move gear on unless something new is coming in to replace it (I can't complain!!).

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I've regretted every guitar and amp I've ever sold because you always lose money.

What it sounds like to me, correct me if I'm off base, but you are physically having trouble playing and can no longer play so you want to sell your guitars but inside you still have the love of the instrument and aren't ready yet to let them go?
If that is true, don't be in a hurry. If there is no cure for what is hurting your hands you will eventually come to terms with it and can move on and sell your custom guitars.
I would get them appraised so you can try and get the most you can out of them.

As a fellow player, I am sorry you can no longer play man. That sucks. I've got tendinitis that occasionally flares up and my fingers go numb and I get pain in my wrists and arms but it passes thankfully.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#6]
That's it. Even the movement in my left wrist is limited and yeah, it's permanent. Something with the bones.

Oh well, maybe I can get them to bury my axe with me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top