Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2015 4:11:08 PM EDT
Found this little gem...I can dream of doing this, but I keep trying.

Singing Through the Storm - Shaun Hopper
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#1]
He's pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Dayum.  Just damn.

He even gets pinch harmonics on an acoustic.  

Love it.  Love it a lot.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#3]
This is a nice piece, but its very simple. If he has a tuning list, you'll have it in no time, OR.

That said, he uses a thumb pick so those who don't will have some issues. I never got the hang of them and I worked at it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is a nice piece, but its very simple. If he has a tuning list, you'll have it in no time, OR.

That said, he uses a thumb pick so those who don't will have some issues. I never got the hang of them and I worked at it.
View Quote

I got acrylic nails so the pick isn't an issue.  But I admit.  If you can play that piece that well you are a better player than I.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 12:20:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I got acrylic nails so the pick isn't an issue.  But I admit.  If you can play that piece that well you are a better player than I.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just spent a half hour looking for a website but couldn't find it. There is a collection of modern finger style and Celtic tunes somewhere out there that is significant. Hedges, bensusan, kottke, degrassi, baughmann, pettyway, Simpson, etc. a tune at a time in one specific tuning - dadgad or open C, and folks will see this style come together for them fairly quickly. Even if this site is gone, there are hundreds of free scores around. Celticguitartalk is a good place to start.

In terms of nails, I fight with mine. I grow them and they get gross,regardless of what I do. And, what sounds good on nylon holds me back on a steel,string somewhat.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I just spent a half hour looking for a website but couldn't find it. There is a collection of modern finger style and Celtic tunes somewhere out there that is significant. Hedges, bensusan, kottke, degrassi, baughmann, pettyway, Simpson, etc. a tune at a time in one specific tuning - dadgad or open C, and folks will see this style come together for them fairly quickly. Even if this site is gone, there are hundreds of free scores around. Celticguitartalk is a good place to start.

In terms of nails, I fight with mine. I grow them and they get gross,regardless of what I do. And, what sounds good on nylon holds me back on a steel,string somewhat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can see having issues if you play both nylon and steel.  For me it's all steel so acrylics work fine.  I do finger style but more along the lines of James Taylor and traditional blues.  I need to look into celtic style.  I really liked this song.

As a member at Totally Guitars maybe he does some.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I can see having issues if you play both nylon and steel.  For me it's all steel so acrylics work fine.  I do finger style but more along the lines of James Taylor and traditional blues.  I need to look into celtic style.  I really liked this song.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love James Taylor's version of Pretty Boy Floyd. Great stuff.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I've never heard a JT version of that.  Have to look.  I know the Guthrie song.  And if you like that kind of song here is one by Knpfler for Sonny Liston you might like.  I think there is an acoustic version around somewhere.

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#9]

This is a fingerstyle composition I've been enjoying a lot lately.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hmJjhvc8gA

This is a fingerstyle composition I've been enjoying a lot lately.
View Quote

That is awesome.  I"m trying to figure out how he gets that sound when he slaps his palm on the bridge.  I've never tried it but I don't know it I have the right kind of pickup or it its something else he is doing with his feet or what.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top