Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2015 2:01:08 PM EDT
any good? looking at the China ones, HT-5RH Head
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I've played a HT-5R combo, I liked it. Both the clean and dirty channels sounded good.

The new Peavey 6505+ mini is worth checking out too. It can be run at 1w, 5w, or 20w so it has more versatility than the HT-5. Clean channel on Peavey amps is usually not too great though IMO.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've played a HT-5R combo, I liked it. Both the clean and dirty channels sounded good.

The new Peavey 6505+ mini is worth checking out too. It can be run at 1w, 5w, or 20w so it has more versatility than the HT-5. Clean channel on Peavey amps is usually not too great though IMO.
View Quote

From the reviews I have read the Blackstar is not so great clean
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can't play one at a store go on youtube and listen to some demos. It is more geared to rock and metal but I personally thought the clean tones were not bad at all.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you can't play one at a store go on youtube and listen to some demos. It is more geared to rock and metal but I personally thought the clean tones were not bad at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

every amp sounds good to me on youtube
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Wanted to like 'em from the get-go, but every time I plug into one of them I am completely underwhelmed.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#6]
At close to the same price range for the 5w I would rather get the 4 watt vox.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can't agree with clean channels on Peavey's not being too great. On some, they are super clean and balanced....perfect for pedals. I actually like the cleans on the Ultra Plus, XXX, and JSX. On all three they sounded really warm and full on their own and with a bit of reverb, delay, and  chorus in the loop, and of course, a good guitar with good pickups, these clean channels sound incredible for what I play. I'm not saying that they are Fender 60's blackface clean, but I like them more than many of the other multi channel amps that are out there.

I am interested in checking out the 6505+ mini though....
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 12:18:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I actually like the cleans on the Ultra Plus, XXX, and JSX. On all three they sounded really warm and full on their own and with a bit of reverb, delay, and  chorus in the loop, and of course, a good guitar with good pickups, these clean channels sound incredible for what I play. I'm not saying that they are Fender 60's blackface clean, but I like them more than many of the other multi channel amps that are out there.
View Quote

Haven't gotten to play the Ultra Plus or JSX, but I did like the clean a lot on the 3120 (rebranded XXX) that I'd tried.  There's a lot one can do with it.  Considering that one can find used ones for $350-$400 (the XXX that is... the 3120 hasn't been around with that name for long enough to fully depreciate), there's not much to go wrong with!  

Though, OP may be specifically searching for a sub-10W amp to play with in an apartment.  In that case, the full-bore 120W heads might not be the best way to go!  
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Snagged one off Ebay for $207. as opposed to $399 new.
My first head amp, my Marshall, Fender and Bugera are combos.
Too bad I don't have a cab and they are not in stock at Sweetwater (HT112) 1x12
looks like I'll use headphones for a while

DEMO vid:

Link Posted: 6/5/2015 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Pic of actual Item

footswitch and manual still in orig packing
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#11]
So how do you like it? Are the cleans "clean" and how heavy does the distortion get?

I'm looking for something like this as well, but need usable high gain (basically modern rock type gain....) and a good clean channel. Channel switching and an effects loop are also a must.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So how do you like it? Are the cleans "clean" and how heavy does the distortion get?

I'm looking for something like this as well, but need usable high gain (basically modern rock type gain....) and a good clean channel. Channel switching and an effects loop are also a must.
View Quote

don't have it yet that's the sellers pic
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I got it sounds fantastic through my AKG monitor headphones, so it's not even using the power tube, plenty of gain won't need a OD pedal with this amp.
Amp is like brand new, no dust even on it, I really like the American voicing with the emulated 4x12 cab setting.
reverb even sounds good, I like the cleans but I would like to hear it with a proper cabinet.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Blackstar HT Club 40.

Previously had a Fender Blues Junior - great amp clean, but no balls for over-driven stuff - sold it and bought the Blackstar.

The Blackstar is awesome and I'm now confident in my decision to ditch the Blues Junior for it.

Cleans sound great to me, but the OD channel is where it really shines. I have an OCD pedal that I no longer use because this amp's OD channel sounds so damn good.

Personally, I think Blackstar amps sound fantastic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top