Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2015 12:27:09 PM EDT
Worth it to get into a Les Paul?  Or save up for one of the higher up models?

EDIT

So, last week I saw on GC's website that Gibson released the "SR" line of guitars, and the Studio model was priced at $999.  A few days later I met my guitar teacher at our local GC, which one of the sales critters was one of his former students.  We picked the one that played the best, got the 20% discount and I'm a happy camper.  Still needs a set up...the guitar tech was on vacation.

And the pic:
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a used one. Prices are outrageous on the 2015s, plus the robotuner.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I can find the studio model on Craigslist almost daily in new/like new condition for $800.  I'm wondering if I'm missing out on much or a lot by not saving up for a higher up model.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The extra cost is mostly cosmetic, unless you're talking about a LP that came out of the Custom Shop (they pay greater attention to fit and finish in the custom shop).

So whether or not you want binding, a fancy top, ect, ect, is up to you.....and your wallet.

Edit: I forgot to mention, some of the lower end models don't have wood filler, so the pores of the mahogany create little pits in the finish. I know that the Tribute series was like this and IIRC the Faded models as well (I could be wrong about the Faded).
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:34:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Unless you are dead set on all the fancy binding a studio will play and sound like any other LP. Just for a working mans LP a studio is the ticket. I personally like the unbound fretboard better on the studio .
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Edit: I forgot to mention, some of the lower end models don't have wood filler, so the pores of the mahogany create little pits in the finish. I know that the Tribute series was like this and IIRC the Faded models as well (I could be wrong about the Faded).
View Quote

The Faded were not pore-filled.  I have a Faded V.  The Faded models are a great value... almost Melody Maker pricing but they do seem to be climbing.

FWIW, the Studio models sound great and have the tone down of the higher end LP models.
The Studio models tend to get less visually appealing wood for the body... not a big deal to me.
They are unbound and have dot fret boards... and the electronics tend to be different which is the biggest difference in tone.
If you are willing to do some soldering, a good Studio can sound just as good as any other Lester.

I have a Studio and a Standard Lester in my collection.  Both sound great, both play great and both feel great.  It comes down mainly to cosmetics, but some strongly prefer the feel of the bound boards over the unbound.  
I prefer my Standard just a hair over my Studio... I bet if I swapped pickups/pots/wiring between them I would like the Studio more then.

800$ seems a hair high for a used Studio.  550-650$ would be more where I would get serious about picking one up.  Check out Reverb.com and troll for pricing info there.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Studio and Tribute models both have Trapezoid inlays.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

There was a period where the Studios had dots.But you are correct, they almost always have trapeziods since then...
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#8]
the 2014 studio pro is the way to go.

Most of the specs of the upper models without the binding.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There was a period where the Studios had dots.But you are correct, they almost always have trapeziods since then...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also varying fretboard material.

My dumbass sold an ebony board (with dot inlays) several years ago.  
I now have a Goldtop studio (with trapezoid inlay) that has a rosewood (well...bubinga anyhow, rosewood family) board.

The only ones I would tend to avoid is the baked maple boards they did for a couple of years.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I now have a Goldtop studio (with trapezoid inlay) that has a rosewood (well...bubinga anyhow, rosewood family) board.

The only ones I would tend to avoid is the baked maple boards they did for a couple of years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, I stand corrected.

And Bubinga? I would love that! Bubinga is a great tonewood with lots of warm mids. That'll be one to hold onto because it's a desirable rarity.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Back in 1989-1990 I bought a black Les Paul Studio for about $900 new. All black with chrome pickups and tuners. Now they have plastic tuners and cheaper plastic knobs and so on along with being twice the price.

As for should you buy one.. The Les Paul Studio was one of my favorite guitars that I have ever owned and the only one that I never changed out pickups or tried to hot rod. Had to sell it in the mid 90's to pay off student loans.. still kicking myself today. Yes they are good guitars.. look around and see if you can get an older one (higher build quality) for less.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:38:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Back in 1989-1990 I bought a black Les Paul Studio for about $900 new. All black with chrome pickups and tuners. Now they have plastic tuners and cheaper plastic knobs and so on along with being twice the price.

As for should you buy one.. The Les Paul Studio was one of my favorite guitars that I have ever owned and the only one that I never changed out pickups or tried to hot rod. Had to sell it in the mid 90's to pay off student loans.. still kicking myself today. Yes they are good guitars.. look around and see if you can get an older one (higher build quality) for less.
View Quote

They put those plastic tuner keys on there to mimic the look of vintage tuners. I prefer the metal ones too, but they can easily be swapped out. And knobs are cheap too, so a guy can swap them out for whatever he wants.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had the Studio + model. 2005? Red Wine, 60's neck. Highly recommend anything Gibson. Great playing.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I had the Studio + model. 2005? Red Wine, 60's neck. Highly recommend anything Gibson. Great playing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...or save yourself some money and get a nicer guitar with an LTD
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The body dimensions are different enough that they don't sound the same.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:21:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice guitar also. Gibson is what I smoke.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#17]
edit in op
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice!

For a new Studio it sounds like you did very well.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice OP. I like the glossy finish too. I always thought Gibson was cheaping out too much with the open pore faded guitars.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nice OP. I like the glossy finish too. I always thought Gibson was cheaping out too much with the open pore faded guitars.
View Quote

I don't know what they use for that finish, but it literally has a sweet smell to it, like candy.  

Oh yeah, it came with a hard case, too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:42:20 AM EDT
[#22]
That's the nitro finish. I've read the smell fades over time. I've been keeping mine in the case to try and preserve it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice guitar...  I had a studio once and really liked it.  

Are you going to have the set up done at GC?  It might be worth it to find a luthier in your area especially if you are gradually getting more and more gear.   GC is fine if the guitar feels pretty good out of the box.  There are good techs and bad techs.  I have just had better luck getting to know a local luthier and having him do the work.  Especially if the frets are a bit off or something like that.  

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#24]
That's a good looking Studio LP
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#25]
I would be measuring the fret-board width. That still looks like the wide boards...

I could be wrong, but it looks like Guitar Center took off the G-Force Tuner and just slapped on some mechanical ones....

I have been following the 2015 SR models pretty close....they were supposed to go back to the standard width necks.

If you're a new guitarist and/or are perfectly comfortable playing it...everything I said is of no concern.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I would be measuring the fret-board width. That still looks like the wide boards...

I could be wrong, but it looks like Guitar Center took off the G-Force Tuner and just slapped on some mechanical ones....

I have been following the 2015 SR models pretty close....they were supposed to go back to the standard width necks.

If you're a new guitarist and/or are perfectly comfortable playing it...everything I said is of no concern.
View Quote

It's one of the new ones.  The inspection tag in the case was dated 8/11 and I bought it 8/24.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:23:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's one of the new ones.  The inspection tag in the case was dated 8/11 and I bought it 8/24.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the back of the headstock... what model year do they have stamped?
Just bought a 2016 SG Standard today.  It was inspection tagged 08/06 and shipped 08/24.... it's a 2016 model.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I ordered a black 2016 Gibson Studio LP last night from Sweetwater, the local shops didn't have black or white.

I almost ordered white but my wife and daughter talked me into the black one.  Matches my cars and my firearms, so hard to argue with them :)

Now the wait for FedEx on Tuesday....
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I don't know what they use for that finish, but it literally has a sweet smell to it, like candy.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait until you get a grand piano.  It will flood the house for months, although I would not say it smells like candy.

Your guitar has a mix of poly and lacquer.  The poly is used as a sealant and undercoat, while the lacquer is the top coat. It's the vapors from the lacquer that you are smelling.  If you're in CA, you should have a CARB and consumer safety compliant note somewhere in the box because of this.

Fuck CA, and the first time I saw this, my thoughts were WTF.  I had to research it on the Internet.

Moving back to lacquer, I'm just not a fan of lacquer necks.  This is why my SG standard usually stays in the case.  When you head back to GC for the setup,  check out a Music Man neck and see what I mean.  Talk about smooth as butter.  Those are finished with Tru-oil and gunstock wax on the back of the neck.  

I guess Sterling Ball must be a shooter.  Wonder if he's made any custom gunstocks out there in SLO?

Otherwise, I prefer satin poly on the back of the neck.

BTW, the studios are excellent guitars and give you the most bang for the buck from the Gibson line.  This one will not be the last one you'll acquire, guaranteed.   Perhaps, look for a used Gibson SG special next... black and ebony fretboard.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

If it has the robo tuners it has the wider(5mm) fret board.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SR models went back to "traditional" specs from what I know of them.  Believe that includes the wider necks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The SR models went back to "traditional" specs from what I know of them.  Believe that includes the wider necks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SR didn't have the robo tuners either.  Which is what I was saying.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#35]
That has the slim taper neck, right? How do you like it?

I'm very tempted to get one of the new Studio Faded T models with the '59 neck, but there is a 2015 Studio SR at my local GC.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 12:38:54 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I'm very tempted to get one of the new Studio Faded T models with the '59 neck, but there is a 2015 Studio SR at my local GC.
View Quote
I am a fan of the 59 neck. I have owned both.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 9:48:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I played one today they happened to have in store. It felt pretty good. Sourcing 2013 Traditionals right now.

Okay, I'm done hijacking. Congrats, OP. Any day you get a Les Paul has got to be a good day, I've decided. I want one so bad right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top